ADVERTISEMENT

Clear Your Plate - There Are Children Starving in Europe

The Standard American Diet (SAD).

Actually that's worse than the SAD, but the SAD lives up to its name, healthwise.
Ask any kid under 17 what they want to eat and Chicken Fingers and Mac and cheese are at the top of the list. You could offer a 13 year old a gourmet meal or Chick Fil A/ Zaxby's and they'll take Deep fried boneless Chicken a every time.

That's what we were told when I was a kid. I never understood how clearing my plate was supposed to help starving children in Europe, but since adults were saying it, I figured it must be true . . . somehow.

In retrospect I suppose the message wasn't "you can help them by finishing your food" but more along the lines that "you can show your gratitude that you aren't among the starving by finishing your food."

I'm guessing there aren't a lot of starving children in Europe any more. So clearly I and the kids from my generation did a good job.

I'm now a fat old man living in an increasingly obese America. Food is plentiful and fairly cheap. Do kids today have to be told to clear their plates? If so, which starving children are we saving (or glad we aren't them) these days?
You catch on quick.

That is rich, coming from a braindead dropout like yourself. Self awareness is, obviously, not in your vocabulary.

Settle down Caroline.

Happy Little House On The Prairie GIF by NBC

The original “clean your plate, children are starving in ______” was Europe, after WWII.
Love it. Thanks. Not just funny but proof to our HROT youngsters that "starving children in Europe" was a real meme - back before the word "meme" was in use.

Checking comments on YouTube, I like this one:

"There was a time in America when this man was considered fat?"

I was never forced to eat something I didn't like but I had to clean what I did put on my plate. I grew up mostly with a single mother and to this day(31) can't drink Kool-Aid or eat any form of Ramen because I had so much as a kid.
I won't even eat mac n cheese unless a black woman over the age of 40 made it.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT