ADVERTISEMENT

Have you ever changed your diet dramatically? What happened?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
I try to stay shredded physically with power walks up hills, shower squats and stair pushups. I'm middle aged 40 years old. I also take fish oil daily since 2011 which obliterated my migraines. (Ask me for a rec if you're interested. I take the good stuff on Amazon.)

I recently had a routine doctor's appointment with a world class physician who is internationally renowned. This guy is legit. It took me 3 months to get an appointment.

My new doctor said my cholesterol was kind of high and it was a risk factor for heart disease. My blood pressure is also kind of high. 126/89.

I told him my diet is dreadful; I pummel pizza with blue cheese dressing on the crust, General Tso's chicken, and fast food because I get deals with the apps. I also like eating omelets drowned in ketchup with sausage on the side.

I'm already making changes. I'm going to start eating grilled chicken, fish and salads on the regular.

I downloaded the Chik FIL A app and got grilled chicken last night instead of fried.

I also went to my monthly young men's prayer group at a Chinese restaurant. Instead of mauling 2 plates of General Tso's chicken, I ordered chicken with broccoli.

Of course, another member ordered General Tso's and I ate a few pieces. Baby steps. :)

I'm going back to the doctor in a year and hope to have lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure.

Has anyone done this? Did your doctor ever warn you?

What happened?

I think I may be allergic to gluten? Lately it’s gotten a lot worse where I shit my brains out 20 minutes after I eat lunch. It’s yellowish and liquidy and I think fatty stools. I’m seeing a doctor next week but may need to shift to a gluten free diet. Not looking forward to that shit.

I think I may be allergic to gluten? Lately it’s gotten a lot worse where I shit my brains out 20 minutes after I eat lunch. It’s yellowish and liquidy and I think fatty stools. I’m seeing a doctor next week but may need to shift to a gluten free diet. Not looking forward to that shit.

Good luck, brah!

I try to stay shredded physically with power walks up hills, shower squats and stair pushups. I'm middle aged 40 years old. I also take fish oil daily since 2011 which obliterated my migraines. (Ask me for a rec if you're interested. I take the good stuff on Amazon.)

I recently had a routine doctor's appointment with a world class physician who is internationally renowned. This guy is legit. It took me 3 months to get an appointment.

My new doctor said my cholesterol was kind of high and it was a risk factor for heart disease. My blood pressure is also kind of high. 126/89.

I told him my diet is dreadful; I pummel pizza with blue cheese dressing on the crust, General Tso's chicken, and fast food because I get deals with the apps. I also like eating omelets drowned in ketchup with sausage on the side.

I'm already making changes. I'm going to start eating grilled chicken, fish and salads on the regular.

I downloaded the Chik FIL A app and got grilled chicken last night instead of fried.

I also went to my monthly young men's prayer group at a Chinese restaurant. Instead of mauling 2 plates of General Tso's chicken, I ordered chicken with broccoli.

Of course, another member ordered General Tso's and I ate a few pieces. Baby steps. :)

I'm going back to the doctor in a year and hope to have lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure.

What happened?
Intermittent fasting. Lost 10 lbs pretty easily in 4 or 5 months.

I have been gluten free for a couple years just because the lady is celiac and I don't cross contaminate the house. I might be able to make some recommendations if that dark day comes for you.

Back 20 yrs ago when I had open heart surgery. I had already changed my diet due to type 2 diabetes. Changed it a bit more in more fish grilled and grilled chicken. Occasional fried things or fast food. Son bought us a air fryer and I found I like using it much more than I thought I would. No more greasy fries or tots. Chicken and salmon are great in it. Just seen my VA doc. Said I was doing great.

Back 20 yrs ago when I had open heart surgery. I had already changed my diet due to type 2 diabetes. Changed it a bit more in more fish grilled and grilled chicken. Occasional fried things or fast food. Son bought us a air fryer and I found I like using it much more than I thought I would. No more greasy fries or tots. Chicken and salmon are great in it. Just seen my VA doc. Said I was doing great.

Nice!

How's the cleaning process for your air fryer?

I was thinking of buying one.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Last year around this time I did a complete diet overhaul. I’m someone who can feel hungry even if I just ate a big meal an hour ago.

Whenever I needed to shed some pounds in the past, I would cut down to about 1500 calories and be miserable until I hit my goal weight. Once I’d hit X pounds, I’d immediately put it all back on because I’d start eating normal again.

Last February I decided to do one of those diets where you’re pretty much eating constantly and had a lot of success with it. I would walk 30-45 minutes in the morning and evening for cardio and do body weight/light weight exercises.

Breakfast 1 @ 7:30am - 150 calorie granola bar and banana with coffee

Breakfast 2 @ 10:00am - 340 calorie croissant with 70 calorie apple

Lunch @ noon - 600 calorie pasta/chicken or ground turkey

Snack 1 @ 2:30pm - 200 calorie bowl of broccoli, carrots, and cherry tomatoes

Snack 2 @ 5:00pm - 170 calorie Chobani flip yogurt

Dinner @ 7:00pm - 750 calorie salmon filet, cottage cheese, potatoes

It took about 4 months but I lost close to 25ibs. The first 2 weeks were the hardest because my body was adjusting but after that, I felt amazing. Lots of energy and I was never hungry.

I also drank a sh*t ton of water everyday. Peeing clear pretty much every bathroom visit.

I estimated I was eating close to 2100-2300 calories a day while also burning close to 2800-3000 calories a day.

I began eating less...like, half what I used to eat.

I initially lost 50-60ish pounds over a fairly short time (3-4 months). Since then, I more or less stuck to portion control instead of some sort of planned diet. Meaning, I eat the same stuff I used to, just half as much now.

That weight loss was 3 years ago. I've kept the weight off and held steady ever since.

In the past I tried actual dieting and for a month or two I'd hold firm to it, but every time I eventually want to eat some of the prior stuff. So...portion control did it for me - I stopped stuffing myself every damn day. Voila - joints don't hurt hardly ever, I sleep better, much more mobile overall, etc. Could I lose more weight? Sure. But I seem to have found a happy medium of being able to eat what I like to eat while not ballooning back up to the weight that was slowly but surely killing me.

I began eating less...like, half what I used to eat.

I initially lost 50-60ish pounds over a fairly short time (3-4 months). Since then, I more or less stuck to portion control instead of some sort of planned diet. Meaning, I eat the same stuff I used to, just half as much now.

That weight loss was 3 years ago. I've kept the weight off and held steady ever since.

In the past I tried actual dieting and for a month or two I'd hold firm to it, but every time I eventually want to eat some of the prior stuff. So...portion control did it for me - I stopped stuffing myself every damn day. Voila - joints don't hurt hardly ever, I sleep better, much more mobile overall, etc. Could I lose more weight? Sure. But I seem to have found a happy medium of being able to eat what I like to eat while not ballooning back up to the weight that was slowly but surely killing me.
Yeah, I found I can't/don't want to eat like I used to. Lost 20 lbs and feel much better for an old guy with aches and pains. Trying to drop 10 more but may be harder than I think.

Reactions: BrianNole777
As I child, I started swallowing a lot aggression. . .along with a lot of pizza! I developed a slight weight problem.

Back towards the end of 2020 I started exercising, eating better, and doing intermittent fasting. I did the 8/16 method, meaning I only eat during 8 hours every day. Between that and walking 5 miles daily I dropped about 60lbs by the end of 2021.

Since then I've gotten really into weight lifting, so the intermittent fasting just doesn't work very well when I'm attempting to take in 175-200 grams of protein every day. That's a lot of protein to try and get within an 8 hour window. So I no longer do the fasting, but continue to eat healthy and still walk at least 5 miles a day when the weather isn't shitty. I'll drop around 10 pounds within the first month or so of spring just from getting back on the trail and walking again. I don't/can't do cardio indoors.

I also give myself 2 cheat days a week. I kinda eat/drink what I want on weekends. Healthy 5 days, not so healthy 2 days. It's a sustainable thing for me, and has worked wonders.

What happened?
Pro tip - If you switch from Fish Oil pills to Fish Oil suppositories then you will speed up weight loss cuz your GI tract will be like a slip & slide and your anus will get super smart.

• Haha
Yeah I once really let myself go. Blue cheese on everything, fast food, general tso's chicken nightly. Became Catholic and it scared the hell out of me.

Went back to broccoli and cleared my head up, no longer a religious cult member.

Good luck.

Pro tip - If you switch from Fish Oil pills to Fish Oil suppositories then you will speed up weight loss cuz your GI tract will be like a slip & slide and your anus will get super smart.

I don't need to lose weight...just have to lower cholesterol and blood pressure.

What happened?
You can't offset your horrific food intake with exercise. Also, as far as fish oil is concerned, there are numerous superior manufacturers out there, besides the one you listed. Look for Carlson's Fish Oil. They have been in business the longest and use a Norwegian fish source not contaminated with gobs of mercury.

You can't offset your horrific food intake with exercise. Also, as far as fish oil is concerned, there are numerous superior manufacturers out there, besides the one you listed. Look for Carlson's Fish Oil. They have been in business the longest and use a Norwegian fish source not contaminated with gobs of mercury.
I wouldn't say that, calorie surplus is a big problem and you're much much better off if it is controlled.

As in your blood will be better looking on a crap diet than a healthy diet if that healthy diet has a caloric surplus and the bad diet doesn't.

I wouldn't say that, calorie surplus is a big problem and you're much much better off if it is controlled.

As in your blood will be better looking on a crap diet than a healthy diet if that healthy diet has a caloric surplus and the bad diet doesn't.
I just intermittent fast. Autophagy works.

Carlson's is good. It's alot more expensive though.

Arazo is my favorite. They use anchovies which are one of the least contaminated fish since they're smaller, as does Carlson's.

Arazo is also tested and made in the USA using wild caught fish. They test for mercury.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT