ADVERTISEMENT

Climate Change....who cares?

Just because YOU don't understand it doesn't mean SOMEONE ELSE doesn't understand it. Do you self-diagnose your own medical charts as well, or do you rely on a trained physician/radiologist/cardiologist to do it?

And, I have offered to post the "Cliff's Notes" version for you. But you don't appear interested in learning anything here.
Well, if a doctor tells me I'm experiencing pain, and I'm not experiencing pain........am I not correct? What if the Doctor has a reason for me wanting to believe that I'm experiencing pain. Maybe he's just trying to sell me some over-priced medicine that I don't actually need, and if I really was in pain, it wouldn't solve the problem anyways.

It happens.

You have a mouse in your pocket?

"We" are not confused on anything. "You" seem to be confused on floods.

I am referring to the flooding in IC/Coralville in 1993 and 2008. If I use a skill known as 'math', I calculate those are exactly 15 years apart.

You can read about it on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_flood_of_2008
While the Great Flood of 1993 was greater in continental terms, in local Iowa terms, the June, 2008 Midwest floods were considerably worse. Lessons learned in 1993, however, helped prevent or otherwise ameliorate damage, extensive as it was; one example is how the city of Des Moines raised its levee around its domestic water and sewage treatment plants. The extent of flooding in 2008 was probably less than during the Flood of 1851, but it is difficult to compare impacts of the two floods because of changes in population, economy, and land use. A study performed by Mark Burton at the University of Tennessee and Michael J. Hicks at Ball State University was based on post 1993 flood data. However, the 2008 floods damaged key infrastructure outside of the model (e.g. the University of Iowa library) due both to changes in population and flood protection measures. However, the Burton & Hicks study did identify crop damages at roughly $3 billion, which turned out to be very close to the actual damages.[
Well you see I was referring to 93' and 97'. My bad.

Well, if a doctor tells me I'm experiencing pain, and I'm not experiencing pain........am I not correct? What if the Doctor has a reason for me wanting to believe that I'm experiencing pain. Maybe he's just trying to sell me some over-priced medicine that I don't actually need, and if I really was in pain, it wouldn't solve the problem anyways.

It happens.

You make no sense. A doctor doesn't pre-determine or diagnose your level of 'pain' unless you tell them.

A better example is your doctor tells you that you have Hep-C and you say you feel fine, so you ignore it. 10 years later, you get liver cancer from it, because you didn't go for the $70,000 pill regimen that would have cured your Hep C and prevented the cancer.

It's usually warranted to go find the ORIGINAL article, and not just the news blurb to see what they are talking about.

And when you do that, you'd find they did not address ENSO (El Nino, or also referred to as Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation - IPO) as a factor in that paper.

And if you DID a little research, you'd find that the author of the work YOU linked (John Fyfe, 2013) has a NEW article published THIS year (April 2015) where they DID look at the IPO and its influence vs. 'models'. Guess what they found!??

The recent slowdown in observed surface warming has been attributed to decadal cooling in the tropical Pacific [1,4,5], intensifying trade winds5, changes in El Niño activity [6,7], increasing volcanic activity [8–10] and decreasing solar irradiance[7]. Earlier periods of arrested warming have been observed but received much less attention than the recent period, and their causes are poorly understood. Here we analyse observed and model-simulated global T fields to quantify the contributions of internal climate variability (ICV) to decadal changes in global-mean T since 1920. We show that the Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation (IPO) has been associated with large T anomalies over both ocean and land. Combined with another leading mode of ICV, the IPO explains most of the difference between observed and model-simulated rates of decadal change in global-mean T since 1920,and particularly over the so-called ‘hiatus’ period since about 2000. We conclude that ICV, mainly through the IPO, was largely responsible for the recent slowdown, as well as for earlier slowdowns and accelerations in global-mean T since 1920, with preferred spatial patterns dierent from those associated with GHG-induced warming or aerosol-induced cooling. Recent history suggests that the IPO could reverse course and lead to accelerated global warming in the coming decades.
I know, that's a LOT of words to read. But they've basically shown that models UNDERestimated warming in the late 20th century, due to predominant El Nino cycles of the ENSO/IPO; the models are OVERestimating warming in the last 15 years due to predominant La Nina cycles. Overall, when the proper ENSO is used in the models, they are ACCURATE. And the conclusion here is that if we revert to a dominant El Nino period, we are going to experience accelerated warming.
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n6/full/nclimate2605.html

Last I checked, 2015 > 2013, and when the SAME AUTHOR is correcting his prior work with updated information/data, it's a good idea to look at the more recent works....

EDIT: If you are REALLY interested in understanding this, I can link you graphs that mirror their basic analysis - their paper is rather technical, and I don't believe it is free/open access. But it's not difficult to link the plots which show precisely the effects they identified, using the data on the WoodForTrees site.

Here's a nice summary of that 2015 paper by Fyfe, et al:

The authors conclude that internal climate variations, mainly through the IPO, were largely responsible for the recent slowdown, as well as for earlier slowdowns and accelerations in decadal global warming rates since 1920. This finding is consistent with other recent studies and supports the notion that the recent warming hiatus resulted primarily from natural climate variations, rather than from aerosols or other forcing missed by the models. Climate models still have difficulties in simulating observed IPO and other natural climate variations due to deficiencies in model physics and model starting conditions. Thus, discrepancies between observed and model-simulated global warming rates on decadal time scales should be expected, rather than taken as surprises. The model-versus-observation discrepancies on decadal scales do not imply that the model-simulated climate change due to rising greenhouse gases and other anthropogenic forcing is wrong. Recent history suggests that the IPO could reverse course soon. Should that happen, we could see accelerated global warming rates in the coming decades.
http://english.iap.cas.cn/RE/201504/t20150414_146338.html

You make no sense. A doctor doesn't pre-determine or diagnose your level of 'pain' unless you tell them.

A better example is your doctor tells you that you have Hep-C and you say you feel fine, so you ignore it. 10 years later, you get liver cancer from it, because you didn't go for the $70,000 pill regimen that would have cured your Hep C and prevented the cancer.
No my example was perfect actually.

Are you able to acknowledge the 'chaos' of two 500 year floods yet? Wiki says the 2008 one cost $3B in crop damages....

Or, is that beyond your ability to comprehend as well?
Yes, but stuff happens. It hasn't happened like that since. Despite the effects of climate changing supposedly being worse.

It's like me being stabbed in the arm twice, in a relatively close time frame apart from each other.

If you say that the reason I got stabbed is because of a massive change in stabbing phenomenon based on the changing climate of my area, well then fine. But those stabbing percentages were supposed to continue, and yet here I am stabless since 93', despite the stabbing phenomenon supposedly having more fuel behind it here in the future.

Fuzzy science.

Yes, but stuff happens. It hasn't happened like that since. Despite the effects of climate changing supposedly being worse.

I understand...that whole 'math' thing behind the meaning of a '500 year flood', and the last one only occurring 7 years ago....o_O

So floods like that are schedule for every 500 years?

Clearly, you should finish school before attempting to understand this topic. I'd recommend a math class or two.

No, a '500 year flood' means an event has a 0.2% chance of occurring in any given year. The probability of two of these events within a ~10 year span is extremely small; within 100 years, small, but certainly realistic.

If you doubt the science behind climate change, fine. But the guys at Munich RE certainly understand it, and the risks to their business....it would be rather foolish for them to 'overprice' their insurance products on the basis of completely unsubstantiated evidence, as they'd lose market share to other insurers very quickly on price and be out of business in no time.

Only the other insurers in the industry see the same thing. Google up Lloyds of London and see what their position is:

Lloyd's has been firmly of the view for a number of years that the climate scientists know what they are talking about: climate change is happening; it is largely manmade and it is contributing to many extreme events around the world. Furthermore their basic predictions have not changed since the early 1990s.

Today Lloyd's is publishing a report on the impact of climate change on current catastrophe models. The emerging risks team at Lloyd’s was delighted to work with modelling experts who have each produced a short article relating to one of their models.
http://www.lloyds.com/news-and-insi...certainty-within-models-of-the-earths-climate

Most of your Fortune 500 companies are similarly looking at how climate change, which is occurring right now, is likely to impact their businesses in the coming decades, so that they are not taken off-guard and lose money, or even lose their businesses entirely.

Here's Munich RE's take:
http://www.munichre.com/corporate-r...allenges/challenges/climate-change/index.html

As a company, we need to understand the business policy risks arising from climate change and adapt to its consequences. In risk evaluation, we determine the risks from climate change that have a direct impact on our business model. These include the analysis and evaluation of weather-related natural hazards, but also regulatory and technical changes with a direct influence on our insurance business and on our investment management.

One of our business objectives is to offer solutions. Through developing risk transfer solutions, we can make an active contribution to climate protection, firstly by cushioning the effects of climate change on natural hazards, and secondly by facilitating the introduction of climate-friendly technologies through our assumption of risks. Examples include the development of innovative insurance solutions in the field of technology (renewable energies, new technologies), as well as coverage concepts in the agriculture sector and protection against weather risks based on parametric triggers. This enables us to develop business growth areas for our company in connection with mitigation and adaptation.

As a company, we invest our capital in a responsible way, and contribute, for example through investments, to reducing carbon emissions. Changing political and regulatory background conditions, e.g. in the energy and carbon markets, are also generating new opportunities in the field of asset management. For example, we have been investing for a number of years in renewable energies, providing private-sector capital to finance infrastructure measures.

In our Group strategy, we also take a concrete and future-oriented approach. Munich Re advocates effective and binding rules on carbon emissions not only internationally, but also internally within the Group. Business operations throughout our Group are to be made carbon-neutral by the end of 2015, based on our internal environmental management system, which enables us to continually improve our carbon footprint and emissions balance.

For a number of years, Munich Re has played an active role in a range of national and international climate protection organisations, such as the United Nations Environmental Program, and as a board member of the Global Climate Forum. We are convinced that, with our expertise, we are a valuable partner for political decision-makers, organisations and companies.

Munich RE and Lloyds are two of the most respected names in the insurance business. They get it.

Again, just because YOU don't understand it, doesn't mean someone else better educated than you doesn't understand it. The Munich RE guys manage and run a $28B market cap company, while you're still taking classes. I think it's obvious who the more informed and better educated sources are here...

The second one based on the buildup of the first flood. Seen any more of those lately around there?
jon-stewart-confused-what.gif

Are you sure that's how it went down?

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT