ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton National Portrait contains shadow of ML dress

22*43*51

HR Legend
Nov 23, 2008
Well, it does capture the legacy.

Link

This file photo shows former President Bill Clinton, left, looking up at his portrait …

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A Philadelphia artist has disclosed that his museum portrait of former President Bill Clinton contains a shadow reference to Monica Lewinsky's infamous blue dress.

Nelson Shanks told the Philadelphia Daily News that a shadow beside Clinton is a literal reference to the dress and a symbolic nod to the shadow the affair cast on his presidency.

"If you look at the left-hand side of it there's a mantle in the Oval Office and I put a shadow coming into the painting," Shanks told the newspaper.

"The Clintons hate the portrait," he said. "They want it removed from the National Portrait Gallery. They're putting a lot of pressure on them."

The National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C., commissioned the 2006 painting and had it on display until about three years ago. It's one of 55 images of Clinton that rotate on and off display, spokeswoman Bethany Bentley said.

She said she is unaware of any pressure from the Clintons to have it removed from the collection. Nor had she heard the artist previously comment on his use of imagery.

"That's the first time we've heard of those comments," Bentley said.

A Clinton spokesman did not immediately return an email message seeking comment.

The stained dress became a piece of evidence in Ken Starr's special investigation of the 42nd president.

Shanks, 77, has painted Princess Diana, Pope John Paul II and other luminaries. He has two pieces currently on display at the portrait gallery, one of opera singer Denyce Graves and the other of the four female Supreme Court justices.

This post was edited on 3/3 8:23 AM by 22*43*51

The Monica Lewinsky "Blue Dress" has been
placed in the Smithsonian Institute. It will be
in the Presidential Hall of Shame wing.

Unreal that this happened (the shadow of the dress on the Presidential portrait) but if anyone deserves this kind of karma, it's Bubba "Slick Willie" Clinton. At least there's not a shadow of him porking adolescents on an island. What a dispicable loser and national disgrace.

Bill Clinton is a low life MFEr. And a rapist to boot.

As far as shanks is concerned... You are simply deflecting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That's a bullshit move by the painter. And I would say the same thing if someone did that to Nixon's official painting and added references to obstruction of justice, or any of the other foibles by other Presidents.

Oh, I thought that blue curtain was going to be the dress repurposed. But stuff like this is why art is great and can't be replaced with photography.

I thought Democrats usually stood up for artists. (or in this case, knelt in front of)

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:
Shanks had no problem taking the money to do the painting, though. What a passive aggressive, low character tool.
Would anyone even notice if it wasn't pointed out by someone?

I can't even see what the guy is talking about.

Originally posted by 86Hawkeye:

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:
Shanks had no problem taking the money to do the painting, though. What a passive aggressive, low character tool.
Would anyone even notice if it wasn't pointed out by someone?

I can't even see what the guy is talking about.
Yeah. The way it is composed, it is clearly meant to be a "couples portrait."

Originally posted by BlazinHawk:
Bill Clinton is a low life MFEr. And a rapist to boot.

As far as shanks is concerned... You are simply deflecting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
And one helluva POTUS...which was why he was on the ballot !

I'd vote for a man of his ability in a heartbeat again. Say what you want about Bill...and it may be partially true....but I will say an undeniable truth.....William Jefferson Clinton absolutely understood how to POTUS. He's the best one I have seen in my almost 66 years, hands down. And usually, I am not kind in my remarks towards Republicans.

Reactions: mickv
In a related story, The Washington Post has now
published an article on the influence of Bill Cosby
on Bill Clinton. It seems that the two Bills had more
in common than one might suspect. Bill Clinton
always liked to call himself, "The First Black President"

That's a bullshit move by the painter. And I would say the same thing if someone did that to Nixon's official painting and added references to obstruction of justice, or any of the other foibles by other Presidents.

That's just a flat out lie BAU. I checked your likes and they all go to the board's looney lefties. You have your bias and are demonstrating a Hillary trait by claiming otherwise.

At first I was like oh I am going to pepsi the crap out of the OP on this old story. Then I was like oh tom is reading and responding to two month old threads. Thats sad.

Is not a very accurate portrait with Clinton being in the Oval Office with his pants zipped up.

Hillary's presidential portrait will contain a shadow of Huma's pant-suit...

That's just a flat out lie BAU. I checked your likes and they all go to the board's looney lefties. You have your bias and are demonstrating a Hillary trait by claiming otherwise.

Dude, step away slowly from the keyboard. You might want to take a long walk, or try to get laid, or whip up a batch by hand.

And remember: use lube. Lots of lube.

54056816.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT