ADVERTISEMENT

Clive/West Des Moines Area

McLovin32

HR Legend
Feb 1, 2008
I'm heading to a concert in Clive next month, and haven't really spent much time in that area before. I'm rolling solo because solo concert trips are a friggin blast. Are there any good breweries/bars/restaurants I should hit up either pre-concert or post? I know Barn Town and 515 Brewing are somewhat in the area but those are really the only places I'm familiar with.

Where is the concert? Clive is a very narrow strip of land with different vibes on east edge vs west edge.

I'm heading to a concert in Clive next month, and haven't really spent much time in that area before. I'm rolling solo because solo concert trips are a friggin blast. Are there any good breweries/bars/restaurants I should hit up either pre-concert or post? I know Barn Town and 515 Brewing are somewhat in the area but those are really the only places I'm familiar with.
You are in luck, Cracker Barrel is close! I think the two breweries you mentioned are the only real close ones. Club Car is a nice bar/restaurant. Nick's Bar and Grill is good. The Other Place is a sports bar type restaurant. The good thing is you are pretty close to a lot of places.

You are in luck, Cracker Barrel is close! I think the two breweries you mentioned are the only real close ones. Club Car is a nice bar/restaurant. Nick's Bar and Grill is good. The Other Place is a sports bar type restaurant. The good thing is you are pretty close to a lot of places.
yes-goddamn-it-hyped.gif

It's at the Horizon Events Center

Ok, that’s kind of centrally located in Clive so lots of options. 515 is probably the closest brewery but they don’t have a kitchen (you can bring in food or even order food to be delivered there though). I personally think BarnTown is a better brewery but that’s just my opinion. It’ll be a bit further away than 515. With the I-235 interchange at Valley West Drive (=100th street in clive and 35th street WDM) you’ve got optionality for anything on the whole west side of the city of DSM.

Reactions: McLovin32
There's this unique local pizza place/bar called The OP in Clive about two miles from your concert. I hear good things

Do yourself a solid and only spend time in Clive/WDM for the concert. Everything in that area is a chain restaurant/bar and will be in a mall/ strip mall. If you insist on staying on the west side of town, try Valley Junction. GMigs, Winchester, the Hall, Mitzi's, Coopers are all locally owned and operated and have a lot of character (plus usually carry some good beer).

Do yourself a solid and only spend time in Clive/WDM for the concert. Everything in that area is a chain restaurant/bar and will be in a mall/ strip mall. If you insist on staying on the west side of town, try Valley Junction. GMigs, Winchester, the Hall, Mitzi's, Coopers are all locally owned and operated and have a lot of character (plus usually carry some good beer).
Thank you for coming out from your lurking spot to inform me on this. It's appreciated it.

Yeah Front Row is your best bet since you can walk to the venue from there. Personally I don’t like 515 at all but that’s JMO. Otherwise, you’ll need to slip down to University for food but good bar options are limited. Keg Stand is a good dive bar 5 minutes away right off 235.

Barn Town is great but it’s 15 minutes from Horizon. Someone mentioned the brewery with the dog park, that’s Kinship not Barn Town. Even further away and lousy beer.

Yeah Front Row is your best bet since you can walk to the venue from there. Personally I don’t like 515 at all but that’s JMO. Otherwise, you’ll need to slip down to University for food but good bar options are limited. Keg Stand is a good dive bar 5 minutes away right off 235.

Barn Town is great but it’s 15 minutes from Horizon. Someone mentioned the brewery with the dog park, that’s Kinship not Barn Town. Even further away and lousy beer.
I do plan on getting there pretty early in the day. So I'm thinking I'll most likely make a stop at Barn Town before coming back to check into the hotel.

I'll also keep Keg Stand in mind too. I'm a sucker for a good dive bar.

I do plan on getting there pretty early in the day. So I'm thinking I'll most likely make a stop at Barn Town before coming back to check into the hotel.

I'll also keep Keg Stand in mind too. I'm a sucker for a good dive bar.
The Keg Stand isn't even in the conversation of a dive bar. The Vista Pub on the other hand is. Most of Valley Junction is also dive bars.

The Keg Stand isn't even in the conversation of a dive bar. The Vista Pub on the other hand is. Most of Valley Junction is also dive bars.
Agree to disagree my friend. Dark, dingy, pool tables and bar games, half a keg as a urinal. Qualifies in my book I guess. But it’s not a hole in the wall either.

Agree to disagree my friend. Dark, dingy, pool tables and bar games, half a keg as a urinal. Qualifies in my book I guess. But it’s not a hole in the wall either.
I need to take you on a dive bar tour of the area. The Keg Stand is a Cyclone bar so that does make it worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT