ADVERTISEMENT

CNN Sues Trump and White House Aides For Banning Acosta

h-hawk

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
Just another example of Trump's pettiness.

"New York (CNN)CNN has filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House.

The lawsuit is a response to the White House's suspension of Acosta's press pass, known as a Secret Service "hard pass," last week. The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN's First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.
The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday morning.
Both CNN and Acosta are plaintiffs in the lawsuit. There are six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and the Secret Service officer who took Acosta's hard pass away last Wednesday. The officer is identified as John Doe in the suit, pending his identification.
The six defendants are all named because of their roles in enforcing and announcing Acosta's suspension."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/media/cnn-sues-trump/index.html

Reactions: cigaretteman
Part of this stems from Acosta's security clearance. The WH is lying about Acosta being a threat. My interest is in how the other outlets are covering this. I think they are beginning to understand that they will be next. Now, some of them are pure propaganda these days, but guys like Major Garrett aren't amused by any of this. Garrett is on the right, and isn't apologetic about it, but he is a solid reporter. He understands that if Acosta is muzzled, then he could be next.

CNN will win because they will go to a liberal court and judge shop but eventually they will lose at the highest court.
giphy.gif

Ari Fleischer‏Verified account@AriFleischer 1h1 hour ago
Ari Fleischer Retweeted Brian Stelter

Acosta has access to the White House, the same every other opinion writer or op-ed writer has. He remains a member of the press corps and he can apply for a daily WH press pass. The only thing he lost is a hard pass, which clears him daily w/o need for a day pass.
And if that was done for a legitimate reason there would be no issue. But doing it to send a message to other reporters - which is what this is - would kinda make it a problem.

Isn't the counter argument that 'look, even if you argue he was acting appropriately and we dismiss that we believe he's exhibited intellectual dishonesty in similar situations before, he still took inappropriate physical action toward a member of the WH staff. That alone is sufficient reason for consequence leveled upon Acosta.'

We've all seen the video, and it's indefensible. Also indefensible would be for him to see no consequence. We should be able to expect WH press corps members to not push staff away physically when they take the mic back. That's not too much to ask.

He refused to give up the mic and give someone else a turn.

Something Acosta should have learned how to do in kindergarten.

He was pressing the President to answer a question. The intern came and tried to take the mic and that is where the incidental contact happened.

Again, is asking for an answer that the POTUS doesn't want to answer a crime? I think the press should be asking the tough questions and push back when they get the run around. That's their job.

Picking in choosing where to file the lawsuit is a version of judge shopping.
The ACLU always filing their lawsuits in the 9th district is done on purpose.
Conservatives filing lawsuits in Texas or Arkansas is done on purpose.

Isn't the counter argument that 'look, even if you argue he was acting appropriately and we dismiss that we believe he's exhibited intellectual dishonesty in similar situations before, he still took inappropriate physical action toward a member of the WH staff. That alone is sufficient reason for consequence leveled upon Acosta.'

We've all seen the video, and it's indefensible. Also indefensible would be for him to see no consequence. We should be able to expect WH press corps members to not push staff away physically when they take the mic back. That's not too much to ask.

She went after the mic and they made inadvertent contact. Not "indefensible", more like "inadvertent". Again, if it was so bad, why isn't the WH pressing charges?

Funny that you're defending an intern from an "attack" by Acosta, but the Trump pussy grabbing and infidelity doesn't bother you.

She went after the mic and they made inadvertent contact. Not "indefensible", more like "inadvertent". Again, if it was so bad, why isn't the WH pressing charges?

Funny that you're defending an intern from an "attack" by Acosta, but the Trump pussy grabbing and infidelity doesn't bother you.
I didn't call it an attack or an assault. There was physical contact which was clearly NOT inadvertent. Those are facts. I've got no problem with consequences (which are btw VERY minor, and fit the "crime"). Seriously, 'we're going to sue you because our guy has to apply for a pass every day instead of just getting one automatically.'

Even if you argue the WH is being petty, CNN has seen that pettiness and raised it.

LOL...you've got to be kidding.
Nope, I was watching live, and have seen the videos since. You're arguing it was appropriate, right? You'd still be arguing it was appropriate if it were Obama's intern and a fox news reporter, right?

Thought so.

I didn't call it an attack or an assault. There was physical contact which was clearly NOT inadvertent. Those are facts. I've got no problem with consequences (which are btw VERY minor, and fit the "crime"). Seriously, 'we're going to sue you because our guy has to apply for a pass every day instead of just getting one automatically.'

Even if you argue the WH is being petty, CNN has seen that pettiness and raised it.

She initiated the physical contact, maybe she should be fired.

I don't have a problem with CNN filing suit and if you want to call them petty that is fine, but no one is more petty and childish than Trump.

Nope, I was watching live, and have seen the videos since. You're arguing it was appropriate, right? You'd still be arguing it was appropriate if it were Obama's intern and a fox news reporter, right?

Thought so.

It was inadvertent and she initiated contact. How is that Acostas fault even if he was asked to give up the mic?

The left doesn’t care about the constitution

The right doesn’t understand that the President can’t pick and choose the viewpoints the president tolerates. He could remove all White House access by all members of the press, but he can’t suspend access by one organization because of their views.

As has been stated in this thread, the CNN reporters job is impaired because he has to go through with applying for a day pass every day. That is unconstitutional restrictions on the press. The only reason it was done is as an attempt at intimidation and censorship.

Thought so.
It was neither appropriate nor inappropriate. He was gesturing and she reached under his arm. His arm came down and bumped hers. He immediately apologized. It was no more an assault than inadvertently stepping on someone's foot. Claiming otherwise is...a lie.

As for Obama...it never would have happened so your attempt at a "gotcha" point is dumb as hell.

Because the Republicans are enormous hypocrites.

It was neither appropriate nor inappropriate. He was gesturing and she reached under his arm. His arm came down and bumped hers. He immediately apologized. It was no more an assault than inadvertently stepping on someone's foot. Claiming otherwise is...a lie.

As for Obama...it never would have happened so your attempt at a "gotcha" point is dumb as hell.
Ok, so you're arguing it was "OK" and there should be no consequence. got it.

It's a simple solution Freeze Jim out for two years, and then sit back and watch the meltdown as he would attempt to ruin every press conference.

He was pressing the President to answer a question. The intern came and tried to take the mic and that is where the incidental contact happened.

Again, is asking for an answer that the POTUS doesn't want to answer a crime? I think the press should be asking the tough questions and push back when they get the run around. That's their job.
Incidental!? My God quit lying to yourself.

Picking in choosing where to file the lawsuit is a version of judge shopping.
The ACLU always filing their lawsuits in the 9th district is done on purpose.
Conservatives filing lawsuits in Texas or Arkansas is done on purpose.

Excellent want of be.

This suit was filed in the only location it could be, so there is no "judge shopping".

And it's the 9th Circuit, not the 9th District.

He asked a question, the president answered.

Then he wanted to go into a completely different question and the president said he was done and wanted to give someone else a turn.

Acosta was wrong.

Reactions: pepsicock
This suit was filed in the only location it could be, so there is no "judge shopping".

What is the only location?

Maryland, Virginia, DC, Georgia, or New York?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT