ADVERTISEMENT

CNN Sues Trump and White House Aides For Banning Acosta

Jim Acosta and CNN are free to go write and publish whatever news or fake news they want . They are protected by the 1st Amendment. The 1st Amendment does not protect access to daily press conferences for media or opinion pieces. If it does then I assume you are ok with Infowars and Alex Jones having a press pass and access?

Infowars and Alex Jones shou,d be held to the same standards and protocols to granting access that other news organizations have to follow I can start my own newspaper and I won’t necessarily get access. The government can’t base that access based on nit liking the questions the reporter asks, or even if they are critical.

Reactions: artradley
If CNN wins then I expect Infowars, Coast to Coast AM, and National Enquirer the same access now and in the future.

Anyone with a modicum of reading and reasoning skills who takes the time to actually read the Sherrill opinion understands why the White House is in "scramble mode."

The ever-evolving "reasoning" (and I use that word as loosely as possible) for revoking Acosta's pass should make for some entertaining moments during depositions and testimony. DT Barnum's comments where he threatened to revoke more press credentials if either he or the White House was not "treated with respect" will come back and bite him in his enormous backside.

My guess? Since DT Barnum injected himself in the middle of this little fiasco, there will almost certainly be an effort to put him under oath for questioning. He'll resist it tooth-and-nail. Ultimately, there will be an adult or two in the White House who realize that the effort to ban Acosta from the White House press briefing room was ill-conceived and contrary to constitutional precedent and they will figure out some way to restore Acosta's credentials and claim that they "won." And . . . the DT Barnum's suckers will believe it.

Nope, I was watching live, and have seen the videos since. You're arguing it was appropriate, right? You'd still be arguing it was appropriate if it were Obama's intern and a fox news reporter, right?

Thought so.

You cannot be serious. His left arm was outstretched pointing at Trump. She reached under it to grab the mic; he raised his right arm and simultaneously dropped his left arm back to his side, brushing her arm in the process. You can’t call that inappropriately contacting her with a straight face.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/c...nned-from-white-house/bd0TQ87o0HrfIstaLnOLON/
Federal judge orders Trump administration response to CNN lawsuit on Jim Acosta ban
Update 10:25 p.m. EST Nov. 13: A federal judge has given the Trump administration until 11 a.m. Wednesday morning to respond to CNN’s lawsuit demanding a temporary restraining order in the battle over the White House’s revocation of reporter Jim Acosta’s press credentials, according to The Washington Post.

A hearing is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Washington.

CNN’s attorney said the network is considering whether to request financial damages in its claim against President Donald Trump.

Nobody with even a vestige of a brain would argue that there are no conditions under which a person can be denied access to the news conference.

The question in this case is how egregious the misbehavior must be to justify it. What's troubling is the question of who should make that decision. I hate to see the courts doing it, and I suspect the courts don't like that kind of micromanagement, either.

In the case of Acosta, the primary responsibility should be his employer. Barring that, it probably would make sense for the organization of WH correspondents to be involved. Tell him to start acting like a grownup or lose its support. If those two entities fail to act, the WH has the responsibility to keep the conferences in order.

That's where the ultimate decision rests, of course. If the courts say the WH can't decide who to accredit, the WH can simply exercise the nuclear option and refuse to schedule news conferences. Or the president could simply refuse to recognize the individual in question. I can't believe any court would order a president to talk to any individual.

The best result, of course, would be for the country not to elect an asshole and if it does, for CNN to stop sending an asshole to cover him.

It makes sense for all News sources to support this lawsuit. Even Fox News realizes that this kind of action could be used against them by a Democratic President. As they said in their statement Secret Service passes shouldn't be weaponized.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT