ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Bluders press conference

kceasthawk

HR Legend
Nov 5, 2016
Was interesting (and spot on by Bluder), a couple of reporters tried to get her thoughts on Maryland's awesome crowd, and what impact they had on the outcome. Bluder scoffed and said "we play in packed houses all the time", " and the crowd had no impact". When told there were 9000 fans she said, "it sure didn't look like that to me". Watching the game on TV they didn't really pan the crowd much, but what you did see were a lot of empty seats.

Its interesting also how the attention "The law firm" and Clark especially are getting nationally has REALLY gotten under the skin of Indiana and Maryland and their coaches and players. We'll have another real battle on Sunday with the Hoosiers....

Was interesting (and spot on by Bluder), a couple of reporters tried to get her thoughts on Maryland's awesome crowd, and what impact they had on the outcome. Bluder scoffed and said "we play in packed houses all the time", " and the crowd had no impact". When told there were 9000 fans she said, "it sure didn't look like that to me". Watching the game on TV they didn't really pan the crowd much, but what you did see were a lot of empty seats.

Its interesting also how the attention "The law firm" and Clark especially are getting nationally has REALLY gotten under the skin of Indiana and Maryland and their coaches and players. We'll have another real battle on Sunday with the Hoosiers....
Jealousy is a shade of red in B10 women's basketball right now....... ;)

That was awesome. She actually asked "Was this a large crowd for Maryland?" That reporter already had his story written that the crowd was a major factor, and was looking for a soundbite. And Bluder was like, Really? Our last two away games were in front of 13,000+ fans, and we played much better in those games. Maryland's few thousand was nothing. And Maryland would have won last night in front of two thousand, or twenty thousand fans.

Seems to me they won the 2022 Big Ten Tournament Championship - against Indiana at their home court. Kind of a big game, no?
Technically we beat IU on the road before beating Mich on our home court for the regular season title. Then we beat IU at the tourney (in their backyard, Indianapolis) to win the tourney title as well. All pretty big Ws tho. Not to mention beating OSU and Mich on the road again this year.

I was there. No way, none, that there were 9K people there. The crowd was pretty into it though.
I was there too. No way it was 9000. Also I didn’t see a student section (unless they were just part of the band — who wouldn’t stop screaming AIRBALL all night lmao basic).

Last edited:
How come no one wants to touch the recruiting question?
Thats unknowable at this point. We had a very solid class this year, and a really nice 2024 class with Levin, Stremlow a real talent, and the #4 rated post player in the nation the 6'4" gal from Oregon who fell in love with the job that Jan Jensen does with our post players. Looking good right now.....

What is the recruiting question?
He's asking if these road loses are going to hurt Iowa's recruiting going forward. Don't see it. I mean is a recruit not going to Maryland because we kicked their asses a couple of weeks ago?

I mean we’re ranked 6th and will probably be 8th next week. We’re still a 2 seed, hopefully will be for the second year in a row when it’s all said and done. There is only one undefeated team in the country. Two others have 1 loss. We really only compete with one of them for recruits — and we beat them 3x last year. I’d say it could be a lot worse?

The class of 2025 will be a big test for this program IMO. As we look to the biggest changing of the guard in 5 years, we’ll see if Bluder can bring home one or two high level recruits to continue to stay in the Top 25 conversation. We are certainly in consideration for a few of them.

Can’t help but wonder what these kind of games do to recruiting? We never seem to be able to win the really big away games, It seems to be an”Iowa thing,”
Beat Indiana at there place last year. Winning on the road is hard. Especially when you travel 1/2 way across the country. In the Big the refs seem to favor the home team, especially in women's games.

I mean we’re ranked 6th and will probably be 8th next week. We’re still a 2 seed, hopefully will be for the second year in a row when it’s all said and done. There is only one undefeated team in the country. Two others have 1 loss. We really only compete with one of them for recruits — and we beat them 3x last year. I’d say it could be a lot worse?

The class of 2025 will be a big test for this program IMO. As we look to the biggest changing of the guard in 5 years, we’ll see if Bluder can bring home one or two high level recruits to continue to stay in the Top 25 conversation. We are certainly in consideration for a few of them.

I'm just hoping UCONN finally moves behind us. They've had some losses to teams worse than who we are losing to.

About the only way a single game or a couple games have an impact on recruiting is if the recruit is attending the game and really enjoys the atmosphere. As an example, Sydney Affolter attended the Megan Gustafson jersey retirement game and then committed right after the game and talked about loving the atmosphere of the game.

That said, it's entirely possible Affolter would've committed to Iowa later even if the atmosphere at that game wasn't great.

Her comments were refreshing and spot on. Saw the game on tv and many, many empty seats

. . . We had a very solid class this year, and a really nice 2024 class with Levin, Stremlow a real talent, and the #4 rated post player in the nation the 6'4" gal from Oregon . . .
Interested in your “Stremlow a real talent” comments. Have you seen her play? Do you think she is underrated as the # 4 junior in Wisconsin? When I look at her offer list (no ACC, SEC, OSU, MD), I see a Bluder level athlete, rather than an athletic upgrade. Is this take incorrect?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT