ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching again, ...or still.

Takeno Prisoners

All-Conference
Aug 18, 2018
Stanley is getting bashed and granted, he played poorly, but IMO, the problem goes much deeper.

For the way this team is built, the QB needs to be an accurate short and medium passer, be able to buy himself time in the pocket, be a strong leader and field general, and while not needing to be a great runner, needs to have some mobility. We do not need the type of QB whose strength is a strong arm.

With much more prior playing time, we should have found out way before today if Mansells fit that bill because all the warning signs of need were there. And even if he was unknown, how do you not try something different after punting 4 times in the 3rd quarter? And how do you not try something different after an injury to a throwing hand?

But the offensive problems run even deeper. Look at all the drive killing one yard gains on 1st down. And of particular interest is that a bad first down for most other teams is a stumble or one man tackle for a gain of just 2 or 3 yards. For us it's a stone wall of 2 or 3 defenders and a loss or no gain. That scenario tells me there are serious defects in our entire offensive scheme. I don't claim to know the answer but if I were head coach, I certainly would have found out and it wouldn't have taken me 20 years.

KF simply doesn't have and has never had any offensive instinctiveness. BF may have a little more but it could take years for him to get the necessary separation.

Reactions: IowaDU86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News