ADVERTISEMENT

Cocoa Beach and Space Coast things to do?

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
I’ll be staying at cocoa beach in mid August and was wondering if HORT had some good recommendations for things to do? Any restaurants to visit? Best areas to lounge on the beach and picnic?

Thanks

Normally I’m quite helpful when it comes to Florida, but the Space Coast is literally my least favorite region of Florida and consequentially it’s the area I know the least. The only reason I go to the area is to catch a cruiseship and/or watch a launch.

For the record my ranking of Florida areas are:

1) The Keys
2) The Panhandle/Emerald Coast
3) Greater Tampa Bay Area including Sarasota and Bradenton/Sun Coast
4) Greater Miami Area/Gold Coast
5) First Coast
6) Nature Coast
7) Treasure Coast
8) Lee Island Coast/Paradise Coast
9) Big Bend/Forgotten Coast
10) Horse Country/Greater Ocala and Gainesville
11) Greater Lake Okeechobee Area
12) Space Coast

I realize everything prefers something different. And I found a LOT of foreigners when I was traveling to other countries mention Daytona as the second or third thing they want to visit in Florida after Orlando and more often than not the Everglades. So obviously someone likes their ugly taupe grainy sand beaches and trashy Myrtle Beachesque but older and lamer attractions. But that’s not me. I’d even rather get a bass or crappie guide in Clewiston than spend time in the Space Coast NOT watching a launch or boarding a cruise ship.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Normally I’m quite helpful when it comes to Florida, but the Space Coast is literally my least favorite region of Florida and consequentially it’s the area I know the least. The only reason I go to the area is to catch a cruiseship and/or watch a launch.

For the record my ranking of Florida areas are:

1) The Keys
2) The Panhandle/Emerald Coast
3) Greater Tampa Bay Area including Sarasota and Bradenton/Sun Coast
4) Greater Miami Area/Gold Coast
5) First Coast
6) Nature Coast
7) Treasure Coast
8) Lee Island Coast/Paradise Coast
9) Big Bend/Forgotten Coast
10) Horse Country/Greater Ocala and Gainesville
11) Greater Lake Okeechobee Area
12) Space Coast

I realize everything prefers something different. And I found a LOT of foreigners when I was traveling to other countries mention Daytona as the second or third thing they want to visit in Florida after Orlando and more often than not the Everglades. So obviously someone likes their ugly taupe grainy sand beaches and trashy Myrtle Beachesque but older and lamer attractions. But that’s not me. I’d even rather get a bass or crappie guide in Clewiston than spend time in the Space Coast NOT watching a launch or boarding a cruise ship.
Well that’s promising lol. We are heading there because my girls are obsessed with space so I figured this would be a perfect place to go to keep that love going plus enjoying a Florida beach area.

We have an Airbnb about a block or 2 away from the beach and like a 9 min drive from the pier so that will be nice to have a private beach area to relax. We are planning on just finding good markets and get fresh seafood and make it everyday at the house.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I’ll be staying at cocoa beach in mid August and was wondering if HORT had some good recommendations for things to do? Any restaurants to visit? Best areas to lounge on the beach and picnic?

Thanks

Since I just sh%* all over the Space Coast area, I was going to point out that the one semi-fond memory I have of the area is the Old Sugar Mill Pancake House that’s part of the second Ponce De Leon State Park in the state (the other is in the panhandle to confuse everyone). But that’s much closer to Daytona than Cocoa. So it IS an hour and a half from downtown Cocoa Beach and probably too far for you to consider it. But that is a pretty neat experience for a family as you can hike, camp, swim in the clear Springs and then make your own pancakes on a big tepenyaki style griddle in the center of your table. In addition to supplying you with unlimited pancake batter using either locally stoneground white wheat similar to the time period of the mill OR a gluten free mix of five older stoneground grains including buckwheat plus you get orange blossom honey, unfiltered molasses, cane strip and modern maple flavored corn syrup “pancake syrup”. For an upcharge you can add various fruits, chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter etc…

1565059b-d95b-4455-9d04-17978a65a2e0-OLD_SPANISH_SUGARMILL10.jpg

Since I just sh%* all over the Space Coast area, I was going to point out that the one semi-fond memory I have of the area is the Old Sugar Mill Pancake House that’s part of the second Ponce De Leon State Park in the state (the other is in the panhandle to confuse everyone). But that’s much closer to Daytona than Cocoa. So it IS an hour and a half from downtown Cocoa Beach and probably too far for you to consider it. But that is a pretty neat experience for a family as you can hike, camp, swim in the clear Springs and then make your own pancakes on a big tepenyaki style griddle in the center of your table. In addition to supplying you with unlimited pancake batter using either locally stoneground white wheat similar to the time period of the mill OR a gluten free mix of five older stoneground grains including buckwheat plus you get orange blossom honey, unfiltered molasses, cane strip and modern maple flavored corn syrup “pancake syrup”. For an upcharge you can add various fruits, chocolate chips, nuts, peanut butter etc…

1565059b-d95b-4455-9d04-17978a65a2e0-OLD_SPANISH_SUGARMILL10.jpg

That actually looks amazing. It may be worth the trip tbh haha

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've got family in the area, so I've spent a fair share of time there.

The Kennedy Space Center tour is absolutely worth it. Lot of stuff to see and great space history there. I've been able to see several launches, so check the schedule. Jetty Park is one of the better public viewpoints, but can get busy. Otherwise about any causeway leading into Port Canaveral will have a decent view or find a beach access in the Port Canaveral area for a better view.

The Port Canaveral area has a couple decent restaurants on the water. I've had a couple good meals at Rusty's Seafood specifically. The little observation tower there, if it's even open, isn't worth it and there's much else worthwhile in that area other than some public beach access areas.

My best Cocoa Beach restaurant recommendation is Florida's Seafood Bar and Grill. It's a solid place to eat and has great large fried shrimp. Don't let the name be off-putting, it's not a chain.

Nearby Beach Access - Lori Wilson Park was my preferred spot, Sidney Fischer Park also works.

The Cocoa Beach Pier itself isn't worth it IMO. It's ok for something to do, but it's just that, ok. Not sure what there is for a restaurant on the pier now as they seemed to change frequently, but I'd look elsewhere.

Would caution against Playalinda beach since you're traveling with kids, there's a clothing optional section at the far end, but not everyone abides too well sometimes. Lot of other beach areas to go with no concerns.

Ron Jon's and Cocoa Beach Surf Company mega stores are ok to visit, but I go to the nearby Beachwave for much cheaper souvenirs.

If zoos are your thing, venture inland to the Brevard Zoo, it's actually pretty good as zoos go.

Some nearby inland fish camps offer fan boat rides if you're interested in seeing some gators in the wild.

Otherwise, in general, Cocoa Beach itself can be a kind of limited town and a lot of stuff closes pretty early. Merritt Island doesn't have much outside of chain stores and restaurants. I'd venture out a little bit to Viera and Melbourne which have more stores and restaurants if you're looking for variety outside of Cocoa Beach. If you've got time, the drive down the coastline on A1A to Indialantic is decent and you might find a restaurant or beach worth stopping at along the way.

If you're up for a day trip:

Daytona Beach isn't too far away. I'm a casual racing fan and I've been to tour the track and museum there which was pretty cool. The beach itself was ok, where I was a shallow shelf where you could walk out a long ways in hip deep water in low tide. Rest of the town is decidedly meh.

Also, you're about an hour and a half or so away from Orlando, obviously with Disney, Universal, Sea World, etc. Not my cup of tea, but with kids, sure.

I've got family in the area, so I've spent a fair share of time there.

The Kennedy Space Center tour is absolutely worth it. Lot of stuff to see and great space history there. I've been able to see several launches, so check the schedule. Jetty Park is one of the better public viewpoints, but can get busy. Otherwise about any causeway leading into Port Canaveral will have a decent view or find a beach access in the Port Canaveral area for a better view.

The Port Canaveral area has a couple decent restaurants on the water. I've had a couple good meals at Rusty's Seafood specifically. The little observation tower there, if it's even open, isn't worth it and there's much else worthwhile in that area other than some public beach access areas.

My best Cocoa Beach restaurant recommendation is Florida's Seafood Bar and Grill. It's a solid place to eat and has great large fried shrimp. Don't let the name be off-putting, it's not a chain.

Nearby Beach Access - Lori Wilson Park was my preferred spot, Sidney Fischer Park also works.

The Cocoa Beach Pier itself isn't worth it IMO. It's ok for something to do, but it's just that, ok. Not sure what there is for a restaurant on the pier now as they seemed to change frequently, but I'd look elsewhere.

Would caution against Playalinda beach since you're traveling with kids, there's a clothing optional section at the far end, but not everyone abides too well sometimes. Lot of other beach areas to go with no concerns.

Ron Jon's and Cocoa Beach Surf Company mega stores are ok to visit, but I go to the nearby Beachwave for much cheaper souvenirs.

If zoos are your thing, venture inland to the Brevard Zoo, it's actually pretty good as zoos go.

Some nearby inland fish camps offer fan boat rides if you're interested in seeing some gators in the wild.

Otherwise, in general, Cocoa Beach itself can be a kind of limited town and a lot of stuff closes pretty early. Merritt Island doesn't have much outside of chain stores and restaurants. I'd venture out a little bit to Viera and Melbourne which have more stores and restaurants if you're looking for variety outside of Cocoa Beach. If you've got time, the drive down the coastline on A1A to Indialantic is decent and you might find a restaurant or beach worth stopping at along the way.

If you're up for a day trip:

Daytona Beach isn't too far away. I'm a casual racing fan and I've been to tour the track and museum there which was pretty cool. The beach itself was ok, where I was a shallow shelf where you could walk out a long ways in hip deep water in low tide. Rest of the town is decidedly meh.

Also, you're about an hour and a half or so away from Orlando, obviously with Disney, Universal, Sea World, etc. Not my cup of tea, but with kids, sure.
Thanks for the info!

Well that’s promising lol. We are heading there because my girls are obsessed with space so I figured this would be a perfect place to go to keep that love going plus enjoying a Florida beach area.

We have an Airbnb about a block or 2 away from the beach and like a 9 min drive from the pier so that will be nice to have a private beach area to relax. We are planning on just finding good markets and get fresh seafood and make it everyday at the house.
Dont listen to tribe, as he admits he knows the least about this area, which is evident when bagging on Daytona, which  is trash, but it is absolutely not the Space Coast.

Also dont listen to the poster about Playalinda (Canaveral National Seashore). It is one of the prettiest and most unique beaches in Florida and the longest undeveloped coastline on Fl's Atlantic coast. If there is a launch, viewing it from Pier 1 is as close as you can get without a Nasa pass. Jetty Park is the second best viewing option and closer to Cocoa Beach, I think you can park in the boat ramp lot right before the park entrance and avoid having to pay the entrance fee. If it's a SpaceX launch, check to see if the boosters are returning to the pad rather than the ocean barge, if so, Jetty Park will be closer to the LZ and will totally rattle your innards from the sonic booms.

As for Playalinda, the nude beach is allllll the way at the end, Pier 13, and you will absolutely not see any nudies unless you venture the extra miles drive to where the road ends. You have to go out of your way to see them. I grew up there surfing and fishing since 1980 and have never seen a nudie on any beaches outside of 12 or 13 lots. I was out there multiple times a week for 20 plus years. Its a toally safe and normal family beach.

If you go for a launch, especially if its from pad 39b, park at lot 1 and it will feel like you can reach out and touch the rocket, it's that close.

Playalinda Beach is on Canaveral National Seashore which is connected to Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge, and one of the most biodiverse areas in the world and a top birding/wildlife travel destination. Both parks are part of the NPS and are considered one park informally. This area was created as a natural buffer for Nasa and you will see the VAB and launch pads from many parts of the park.

If your family is into nature and wildlife I highly suggest Blackpoint Wildlife Drive and Biolab Rd drives (only minutes from each other), which are both car drives where you slowly meander along the marsh, flats, and lagoon area with all sorts of gators, bobcats, and wading birds. Both are extremely popular with wildlife photographers and birders from around the world. There's even extremely rare flamingos on the the north side of the Haulover Bridge that were blown over from Cuba after a hurricane a few yrs ago. There also a few hiking trails near the visitor center that go through coastal hammock and oak scrub biomes. Bring water and cash, as it's totally undeveloped with nothing out there except nature and rockets (what a dichotomy).

Absolutely do the NASA bus tour and visitor center. My stepdad used to guide the tours when he retired from the airforce and the knowledge of NASA lore and history is second to none. They also have a real space shuttle hanging on display which you can walk around 360 from raised balconies, a shuttle simulator, and Apollo cockpit you can sit in and much more.

Cocoa Beach also has extremely popular and kid friendly, bioluminescence kayak tours on the lagoon in the Thousand Islands aquatic preserve.

Sea turtles are also nesting every night this time of year, so there's a good chance you will see a momma sea turtle laying eggs. I now live down in Satellite Beach (town just south of Cocoa Beach and Patrick Space Force Base) and see a handful every night.

Both of these are from Lot 1 at Playalinda.

LTLSEUSV5RH2JLOGLEKRFZDEAE.jpg

6c327b9b0ab12d8c0bd15eb19b73716f.jpg

playalinda-1024x621.jpg

Blackpoint Wildlife Drive

iu

Biolab Rd
iu

Bioluminescence Tour
iu

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT