ADVERTISEMENT

College football + LDW - what’s on the menu?

The best non holiday day of the year happens to be on a holiday this year.

Sept 1: Doves and Ducks.

Probably flip between MN/NC Co/ND tonight.

Tmrw golf in the afternoon.

Sat Mow/ Football at parents.

Sunday: hunt Teal at day break and head over to the sunflowers for mid morning Doves. Done by 1030. Home maybe go for an evening dove hunt to scratch down a limit depending on numbers. Bears game?

Mom ("nana") is coming over Sunday to can tomatoes.

Monday: Doves at daybreak over alfalfa.

I've got the property In a decent place and am trying to reduce the pressure on the meadow now until deer season so probably not to much in the back. Might get to enjoy a few beers each night as the sun goes down.

Last edited:
I'm sort of torn in that i've really been looking to football season more this year than in the past. But, my kids are coming in to the new place for the weekend, including the daughter's boyfriend who we like, so I suspect I'll be driving all over the Shenandoah for hikes, etc.

But, as to what's on tap:
1. I bought five large bone-in ribeyes from a local farm, which will be awesome, probably Friday night.
2. My daughter has requested that I make my salted caramel ice cream.
3. I will make huckleberry manhattans, at least for myself, and at least one night.
4. My daughter wants to take her boyfriend to the Blue Ridge Pig, a fantastic georgia mustard sauce based shack over the mountain in nellysford.
5. Likely two of the following three, in increasing order of strength: Devil's Backbone Brewery; Ecco Adesso Vineyard; Virginia Distilling Company (makers of Courage and Conviction American single malt).

Eventually, usually october or november, football season means stromboli season:

1. spread out pizza dough in long rectangle (2 to a cookie sheet).
2. brush with egg wash and sprinkle with italian seasoning
3. layer pepperoni, american cheese, ham, swiss, hard salami, and mozzarella
4. squirt thin line of yellow mustard
5. fold sides and ends in to seal, egg wash, more italian seasoning, and fresh grated parmagianno on the outside
6. Bake at 400-425 until golden brown on outside.

Note, always make at least a half dozen, as they freeze well.

Last edited:
Recipe please?

I’m Jonesing for some new menu items for college football.
This is the recipe I use, but over time I've added a few of my own things to it.

I love fresh jalapenos, so I use them inside and as a topping. I've also started adding just a little bit of the salsa verde(sometimes I use a different green chili sauce) with the meat and eggs that goes inside of the enchiladas. I also almost always use chorizo flavored turkey sausage now. It tastes delicious and just works better than anything else IMO.

Eventually, usually october or november, football season means stromboli season:

1. spread out pizza dough in long rectangle.
2. brush with egg wash and sprinkle with italian seasoning
3. layer pepperoni, american cheese, ham, swiss, hard salami, and mozzarella
4. squirt thin line of yellow mustard
5. fold sides and ends in to seal, egg wash, more italian seasoning, and fresh grated parmagianno on the outside
6. Bake at 400-425 until golden brown on outside.

Note, always make at least a half dozen, as they freeze well.
Yup, I'm gonna do this. Not sure if it'll be this weekend but I will absolutely be trying this at some point soon. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Recipe please?

It's actually super simple but people love them. Basically it's a "fajita" burrito that I cook all the innards together on a flat top and then wrap it up. The only thing special is probably the steak prep (which I sous vide and then sear), the Bull Shit seasoning, the homemade tortillas I get from the mexican place down the street, triple buttery onions, and the poblanos instead of green peppers.

Nothing special at all but they go over really well.

Edit to add: There's cotija, homemade salsa, and limes to add per your liking as well. And sour cream and shredded cheese for the heathens.

Last edited:
11am kick. Probably omelets on the blackstone in the morning. I'll purchase something to grill/smoke in the afternoon, but probably forget to put it on once the beers start flowing and I get into the games. So what's on the menu Saturday, is more than likely ordering pizzas.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
This is the recipe I use, but over time I've added a few of my own things to it.

I love fresh jalapenos, so I use them inside and as a topping. I've also started adding just a little bit of the salsa verde(sometimes I use a different green chili sauce) with the meat and eggs that goes inside of the enchiladas. I also almost always use chorizo flavored turkey sausage now. It tastes delicious and just works better than anything else IMO.

Do you tailgate?

Do you tailgate?
Rarely. Now that I've moved further north to CF I just don't have much desire to get down there. When I lived in CR I'd tailgate for 2-3 games a year maybe. Nothing too crazy. I'm gonna sound old, but I'm definitely one of those people that has started to enjoy being home, drinking my own beer, and making food way more than actually tailgating and being at the game.

Reactions: Hawki97
Rarely. Now that I've moved further north to CF I just don't have much desire to get down there. When I lived in CR I'd tailgate for 2-3 games a year maybe. Nothing too crazy. I'm gonna sound old, but I'm definitely one of those people that has started to enjoy being home, drinking my own beer, and making food way more than actually tailgating and being at the game.

Ah, I was wondering what your setup was to pull those enchiladas off (the baking part) by 11am. ;)

Plan is to make breakfast burritos, keeping it simple with eggs and chorizo. Taking the portable Coleman grill for eggs and chorizo using a small to med skillet.

Using premade flour tortillas from the store that are pretty authentic vs that sweet tasting shit you get at restaurants.

11am games are tough so might make them at home and use grill to reheat them.

Oh, and ice cold beer. Go Hawks!

Ah, I was wondering what your setup was to pull those enchiladas off (the baking part) by 11am. ;)
Ahhhh, makes sense. I'm guessing it could probably be put on a grill of some sort as long as there's a lid, but yeah, it's much easier to toss in the oven at home haha

Ahhhh, makes sense. I'm guessing it could probably be put on a grill of some sort as long as there's a lid, but yeah, it's much easier to toss in the oven at home haha

Oh yeah, definitely. Shit, there's a guy I tailgate with that bakes cookies in his gas grill!

We're not very good at putting all together for 11am games though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT