ADVERTISEMENT

College Gameday for Cy-Hawk game?

I don't see it happening. Iowa and Iowa State match up well on paper, but ESPN doesn't care about that. They want viewers. Alabama or Clemson alone draw WAY more national viewers than ISU/Iowa ever will.

If syracuse or south carolina go 2-0, they'll probably be the safe bet for gameday.
This makes zero sense. Gameday is just where the crew shows up at. They will certainly be in Alabama or Clemson at some point. Also the game is on FS1 not ESPN or BTN.

And a team that would have won in Iowa City over the 4th place West division juggernaut with the first game prep that was cancelled.

giphy.gif

I think the fact that they've NEVER been to Ames is a significant factor in this. They love rivalries and love going to a place for the first time. I don't think the fact that the game is on FS1 matters as much. They used to (if my memory serves me correctly) have gameday at the same location as the marquee game on ABC Saturday nights which was called by Herbie and Mustangberger (kids movie reference, sorry). During the last 2 years at least... Herbie has done Gameday and then flown to night game location. Logistically... having Des Moines close by for Herbie to hop on a jet is not insignificant.
I, myself, hope they do come to Ames. I don't think that is conceding anything to the Cyclones... but having ESPN spotlight the rivalry is good for both programs. I don't like ESPN as much because of the direction they've gone on some things but they are still the most powerful media brand in sports... and if they promote your school... its significant.

Either way I hope Iowa kicks the ever living hell out of the Clones on their way to set the tone for another memorable season ending in a BIG championship.

Reactions: Wadzinator
They used to (if my memory serves me correctly) have gameday at the same location as the marquee game on ABC Saturday nights which was called by Herbie and Mustangberger (kids movie reference, sorry). During the last 2 years at least... Herbie has done Gameday and then flown to night game location. Logistically... having Des Moines close by for Herbie to hop on a jet is not insignificant.

Pretty sure this is false.

Musberger and Herbie did the 2009 game against Michigan at Kinnick and Gameday wasnt here.

Maybe it was more common for gameday to be at the primetime ABC game in years past but it definitely was not an exclusive thing.

I think the fact that they've NEVER been to Ames is a significant factor in this. They love rivalries and love going to a place for the first time. I don't think the fact that the game is on FS1 matters as much. They used to (if my memory serves me correctly) have gameday at the same location as the marquee game on ABC Saturday nights which was called by Herbie and Mustangberger (kids movie reference, sorry). During the last 2 years at least... Herbie has done Gameday and then flown to night game location. Logistically... having Des Moines close by for Herbie to hop on a jet is not insignificant.
I, myself, hope they do come to Ames. I don't think that is conceding anything to the Cyclones... but having ESPN spotlight the rivalry is good for both programs. I don't like ESPN as much because of the direction they've gone on some things but they are still the most powerful media brand in sports... and if they promote your school... its significant.

Either way I hope Iowa kicks the ever living hell out of the Clones on their way to set the tone for another memorable season ending in a BIG championship.

Well, ESPN and ABC are owned by the same company

Thought it's been proven that no entity forces this game to continue. I've certainly been a proponent of only playing this game say, 2 out of every 4 years, as win or lose, it does nothing for the Hawkeyes.
Does nothing for ISU either ..... get rid of this game.....it may disappoint a very small market but so what

If you think ESPN will take it’s national pregame show to a state of 3M people with the actual game being broadcast on a competing network, you are off your rocker. They can certainly prove me wrong but I would put the chances at slim to none.

Pretty sure this is false.

Musberger and Herbie did the 2009 game against Michigan at Kinnick and Gameday wasnt here.

Maybe it was more common for gameday to be at the primetime ABC game in years past but it definitely was not an exclusive thing.

hmmm. Perhaps my memory is not serving me correctly. But your'e right... it definitely was never exclusive because SEC games were primarily aired on CBS, not ABC. So if Gameday was at an SEC matchup, the ABC marquee game at night was somewhere else.

Does nothing for ISU either ..... get rid of this game.....it may disappoint a very small market but so what

Minus it is the only P5 team ISU will schedule to play and help their SOS most years. Because even with old 4 game non conference schedule ISU only once from late 90s till it changed scheduled another team besides Iowa. Instead doing home and home with teams like Kent St, UNLV and Toledo. So the whole narrative they'll drop Iowa for another P5 team is BS. It is also one of the only games along with UNI they can ever sell out.

If you think ESPN will take it’s national pregame show to a state of 3M people with the actual game being broadcast on a competing network, you are off your rocker. They can certainly prove me wrong but I would put the chances at slim to none.

You do realize this idea was floated out on a Cyclone site, right?

Even Randy Peterson has a nice write up.

Cy Hawk Gameday Story

Hard to take this article seriously given that Uncle Randy writes every article with giant Red and Yellow sunglasses on.

He is the walking definition of propaganda. He says there is "star power" on both sides of the football (Epenesa and Purdy). Epenesa is on almost every pundits list as a top 15 draft pick. Purdy is a guy who started 7 games and only beat 1 P5 team that finished the regular season with a winning record. Purdy looks like he will be a good qb, but to say he is a college football star already is laughable.

Yes. There are more Texas fans than Iowa fans. It would have nothing to do with ISU. Nobody farther than 100 miles from Ames knows or cares about anything that happens there.
Then why all the angst due to their national rankings?

Hard to take this article seriously given that Uncle Randy writes every article with giant Red and Yellow sunglasses on.

He is the walking definition of propaganda. He says there is "star power" on both sides of the football (Epenesa and Purdy). Epenesa is on almost every pundits list as a top 15 draft pick. Purdy is a guy who started 7 games and only beat 1 P5 team that finished the regular season with a winning record. Purdy looks like he will be a good qb, but to say he is a college football star already is laughable.
Epenesa will have a spectacular year when teams run his way. But off tackle, jet sweeps, roll-outs the opposite direction will leave him isolated.

Epenesa will have a spectacular year when teams run his way. But off tackle, jet sweeps, roll-outs the opposite direction will leave him isolated.

You do realize Eppy has made his living off of chasing down qb’s from behind as they roll out away from him then creates the sack, followed by stripe fumble? It doesn’t matter what other teams do, they won’t be able to stop him, hope to contain maybe.

I like the Gameday Saturdays wherever they are played. And with regards to Corso and his challenges because of the results of his stroke, more power to the Gameday folks for having him involved. As a stroke survivor myself, I'm very comfortable with his sometimes speech imperfections, etc. Too often we're so focused on everything being perfectamente, that we choose to forget many of us regularly cope with health and related issues.

Texan - that is the dumbest post I have seen. Um, last I checked, Ames was always closer to DM. Second, how do you explain national rankings putting Iowa in the top 25 for brand relevance? That is simple stupidity from you. To compare the Hawkeyes to the Cyclones in relevance is beyond laughable. I mean troll with facts. Actually go back to CF and keep making excuses how ISU won’t beat Iowa or win 10 games even though will be favored in at least 10 games. Jesus Dude. Were you born yesterday where the Cyclones are actually talked about outside of Story County for the first time as opposed to the last 100 years?

He either ignores or is too stupid to realize the CR/IA City corridor plus the QCA surpasses Des Moines in tv sets, not to mention that half of the Des Moines people are Iowa fans. Iowa also has a large fanbase in Chicago. ISU is a pimple on Iowa's ass and Cy Twins is the puss.

He either ignores or is too stupid to realize the CR/IA City corridor plus the QCA surpasses Des Moines in tv sets, not to mention that half of the Des Moines people are Iowa fans. Iowa also has a large fanbase in Chicago. ISU is a pimple on Iowa's ass and Cy Twins is the puss.
The Des Moines/Ames CSA is now 800K, IC/CR is 400K. By 2040 the DSM CSA is projected to be over 1M. Ankeny is in the top 15 growing cities of any size in the US. By 2040, it will double in size to 130K, and it will be the 3rd largest city in Iowa, right behind CR and larger than Davenport.

The Des Moines/Ames CSA is now 800K, IC/CR is 400K. By 2040 the DSM CSA is projected to be over 1M. Ankeny is in the top 15 growing cities of any size in the US. By 2040, it will double in size to 130K, and it will be the 3rd largest city in Iowa, right behind CR and larger than Davenport.

City smack! A new way to troll, apparently? I can assure you that the size of your city is huge! Btw how is that working for the Gophers up in Minneapolis? Or the Huskers in Lincoln? They have giant cities too

By 2040, there is a good possibility football won't exist. The Ia City/CR corridor is also growing rapidly, as is the general QCA. And you didn't address Iowa's fanbase in Chicago, not to mention Florida, Arizona, or anywhere the snowbirds go. ISU has no significant fanbase more than 100 miles from Ames.

ISU is a pimple on Iowa's ass. You don't really even compare. If you need proof of that, look at your road game at OSU (minus the S) in 2023. No program with any national relevance is playing a road game against a fricking MAC school.

OMG. If you are using population of DSM metro area as your main ISU smack topic, you lose. Stop trying.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I get it that you don’t know any better. It is quite typical of a hawk fan base faction. It won’t be that long into the future where the DSM metro area stretches to Ames with the growth they are experiencing. The claim that Des Moines is half hawk is funny. That would be like clone fans claiming Cedar Rapids is half clone.

I get it that you don’t know any better. It is quite typical of a hawk fan base faction. It won’t be that long into the future where the DSM metro area stretches to Ames with the growth they are experiencing. The claim that Des Moines is half hawk is funny. That would be like clone fans claiming Cedar Rapids is half clone.

This is just dumb.

This is just dumb.
It is dumb because you can’t refute it. You have Very typical hawk fan response. You wonder why the hawk fan base is considered “unique” by many peer fan bases. You are most likely oblivious so you probably don’t wonder anything.

It is dumb because you can’t refute it. You have Very typical hawk fan response. You wonder why the hawk fan base is considered “unique” by many peer fan bases. You are most likely oblivious so you probably don’t wonder anything.

And just when I thought you couldn't post anything dumber...

Bro you're not saying anything of logical significance. Fanbases consider us "unique" ? Who says that outside of Iowa State? That's just a non sequitur that doesn't mean anything.
Second, even if Des Moines is growing and more red than it is black&gold (even though you provide no facts to back this second point up), you completely ignore the fact that eastern Iowa as a whole is growing. Oh and you forgot to refute the point about Iowa's presence in Chicago (the third biggest metropolitan in America). I've never heard of a single ISU bar in Chicago, or in any other major city for that matter.

So, yes, Des Moines MIGHT create a pipeline for ISU but i'll posit this question in response: who cares?

Reactions: Wadzinator

You've become too stupid to argue with. I've called you out so much I'm actually tired of it. Please change your screen name again to at least make things fresh.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

The difference is one is based in reality, the other is your unsupported point of view. Feel free to share the unbiased report that supports you. FYI alumni in a market doesn’t really count as support.

Benched vs Drake

Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT