ADVERTISEMENT

Colonoscopy Prep

Can the doc give you a good cleaning out while in there or will the drinking of the gallon of cleanout solution do that? I understand you get little pockets of infection with Divert. That's why eating sesame seeds is a no no.

I imagine Divert complicates a colonoscopy.
The point of the prep is to clean you out so the gastroenterologist can see the tissue.

You can. It's called diverticulitis (diverticulosis is the term for the pockets).

Seeds are fine, that's largely a myth. We do recommend a high fiber diet.

Not really.

Reactions: goldmom
Yep. Yours truly is getting the old El Probo on Friday...
I hope I’ll come home and sleep until Saturday afternoon. Ugh.
I have diverticulosis so I’m glad I’m going to get checked out.
At least the Doc is going to take a crack at it...😏
No better time than ever than to PIITB on Saturday.

So many jokes come to mind right now. Instead, I'll be a better man and wish you luck on the prep and a clean bill of health, goldie.

The point of the prep is to clean you out so the gastroenterologist can see the tissue.

You can. It's called diverticulitis (diverticulosis is the term for the pockets).

Seeds are fine, that's largely a myth. We do recommend a high fiber diet.

Not really.
I didn’t really mind the prep. It was nowhere near as bad as I feared it would be. In fact, I’m thinking about doing the prep procedure once a year just to keep me cleaned out.

Is that a good or bad idea? Does it upset the balance of bacteria in the colon?

I didn’t really mind the prep. It was nowhere near as bad as I feared it would be. In fact, I’m thinking about doing the prep procedure once a year just to keep me cleaned out.

Is that a good or bad idea? Does it upset the balance of bacteria in the colon?

You don't really need a clean out every year, but you do you. No, it shouldn't upset the gut biome.

The first one I had was in my late 20s. The doctors couldn't figure out what was going on with my stomach pain so they ordered the colonoscopy. The prep instructions mentioned to fast the day before while doing the cleansing prep but specified that you could eat popsicles so my girlfriend bought me green popsicles to eat. The instructions just said to avoid anything with red or purple coloring.

The day of the procedure, I was laying on my side getting ready for insertion and the amnesiac was just starting to kick in so I was getting fuzzy headed but remember seeing my insides on the camera. I heard the techs/nurses/doctor exclaiming about how my insides were all green and heard them speculate that I had an infection based on that. I managed to say something like "no... I ate a box of lime popsicles; that's the green you see" and the last thing I remember was the entire room of techs/nurses busting out laughing.

I call it, a date with Bubba in prison.

Even though the prep solution tastes like ass, the worst part for me was the feeling that there was a garden hose expelling waste from my insides as though the spigot was turned on full blast.

Reactions: lucas80
The wife (no pic) was schedule for one a few weeks ago. Turns out she’s severely allergic to the primary ingredient in Miralax, which is also the ingredient in the prep. She drank about a cup of the awful drink and almost instantly went into a severe allergic reaction. Turned beet red. Looked like she feel asleep while tanning and burnt to a crisp. Then came the insane itching. When she started having tightness in her chest and difficulty breathing we raced to the ER. A shot of benedryl and a shot of steroid and she was fine.

She’s trying a different prep tomorrow night. Friday she gets scoped.

Had my 2nd one about 5 years ago. The prep was easier than the prep I did 10 years before that for my 1st one. That one was god-awful.

The anesthesiologist woke me up about 5 seconds early and I got to enjoy the "removal". It hurt like hell!

Reactions: cigaretteman
Cologuard only for this guy.
It's only about 90% accurate in detecting cancers

It was originally intended/designed to be used annually or 3 yrs, but due to costs it's set up for only 10 yrs per what insurers will reimburse.

10% is going to be a lot of missed cancers; and it's even worse at detecting polyps, which will become cancerous over time.

It's only about 90% accurate in detecting cancers

It was originally intended/designed to be used annually or 3 yrs, but due to costs it's set up for only 10 yrs per what insurers will reimburse.

10% is going to be a lot of missed cancers; and it's even worse at detecting polyps, which will become cancerous over time.
It’s covered under my insurance every three years.
My doc recommends it as a viable option for low risk patients.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
It’s covered under my insurance every three years.
My doc recommends it as a viable option for low risk patients.
If they're doing 3 yrs that's better

It was being set up as the same as 10 yr colonoscopy. Which was not appropriate.

The wife (no pic) was schedule for one a few weeks ago. Turns out she’s severely allergic to the primary ingredient in MiraLAX, which is also the ingredient in the prep. She drank about a cup of the awful drink and almost instantly went into a severe allergic reaction. Turned beet red. Looked like she fell asleep while tanning and burnt to a crisp. Then came the insane itching. When she started having tightness in her chest and difficulty breathing, we raced to the ER. A shot of Benadryl and a shot of steroid and she was fine.

She’s trying a different prep tomorrow night. Friday, she gets scoped.
Did you figure out what she is allergic to? What IS the primary ingredient in MiraLAX?

I’ve had two colonoscopies. When people ask me what the prep was like I tell them it’s like drinking a freight train. It rumbles through your gut out of control. Then it sees the light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no stopping that train by that point.

My first the physician apparently thought my intestine was a tractor tire and put 50 psi in there. I should have timed the resulting fart. Had to be 30 seconds.

There was a Casey's two blocks from the hospital. I had two slices of breakfast pizza on the way home. They were divine!
WTF? You could eat? I was a sack of potatoes in the passenger seat on the way home, and couldn’t eat for hours.
As an FYI, I’ve had three, two of which were combos with an endoscopy. The last one was because some ass jockey didn’t like the view and ordered a double prep. Now that was miserable.
All in all they aren’t that big of a deal.

You will be fine, just keep away from HROT until you sober up.
Best wishes.

Just had my 4th colonoscopy a week ago. The prep is simply awful, but the procedure is a cake walk. I've also struggled with diverticulitis, leading to this procedure. They're hoping to find scar tissue that can be surgically removed laparoscopically later and prevent future diverticulitis attacks. Follow all instructions before beginning the prep and you'll have less of a struggle. Make plans to eat copious amounts of food as soon as you are released. That was my favorite part of the whole experience.

Reactions: INXS83 and goldmom
colonoscopy_4104345.jpg

FWIW, I asked my doctor about that. He said there are lots of false positives and negatives and folks end up with the colonoscopy anyway. He also said polyps that aren't cancerous can still be a problem.
My guy discussed the same thing but said if you get a positive then get a colonoscopy - hope it was a false positive. Non-cancerous polyps can show other signs in stool color, bleeding, long term constipation/diarrhea, cramps, anemia, etc. Keep in mind a colonoscopy can miss things also.

FWIW, I asked my doctor about that. He said there are lots of false positives and negatives and folks end up with the colonoscopy anyway. He also said polyps that aren't cancerous can still be a problem.
And, as I'd already pointed out to him, Cologuard misses nearly half of those pre-cancerous polyps.

Other thing to understand:

Insurance will cover a colonoscopy 100% for "preventive" exams.

Once you have a Cologuard positive (real or false positive) the follow-up colonoscopy is NOT covered under preventive care 100%, and you will owe whatever your deductible is up to the procedure costs.

Any polyps they remove on a preventive colonoscopy are not charged additionally - 100% covered as well.

In network (negotiated rate) costs are $600+; out of network can be at least double that.

If you have insurance with a low or no deductible, then this is no big deal.
If you have a $1000 or more deductible, you will pay fully out of pocket for the follow-up/interventional colonoscopy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT