ADVERTISEMENT

Come on SMU!!

So does Alfraud land the Kansas or North Carolina job when UCLA fires him?

Damn Alford can shoot. 7-9 3pt.

Edit 8-10 wtf

Edit 9-11 TECHNICALLY ha

This post was edited on 3/19 4:17 PM by halo1427

This post was edited on 3/19 4:30 PM by halo1427

Wowsers, SMU just got completely JOBBED.

How are you not able to review goaltending?

Oh man, that SMU defender made a mistake... I agree with the announcer, that the ball was probably going to graze the rim and by rule that was a goaltend

The lack of review is ridiculous, but in game speed probably right to call it a goaltend. We won't know for sure if it would hit the rim because the defender took that chance away. Tough way to lose, but SMU showed no killer instinct and UCLA took that game away.

Originally posted by final_flashx:
Oh man, that SMU defender made a mistake... I agree with the announcer, that the ball was probably going to graze the rim and by rule that was a goaltend
What??!!! Are you high? That was a frickin' air ball, and a horrible call. If that kid doesn't make a play on the ball the UCLA guy catches it and then dunks it home.

That was a joke!!!!!

That was nowhere near going in. Don't see how you can blow the whistle there with the clock expiring.

Oh, the horror! What a miserable call. What a way for ANY team to be taken out of an NCAA tournament. That shot was more of a throw and had zero chance of going in. THAT's a goal tend, but the Iowa shot at PSU that's taken off the rim is not?!

How can you call that? I feel bad for the kid who went up and got that AIR BALL only to have the official award 3 points -- THREE GAME-WINNING POINTS--to UCLA. Wow. Just wow.

Larry Brown showed some class. I don't know what he'll have to say about it, but I had no dog in this fight, and I say SMU was robbed. I guess the comitttee really wanted to make sure UCLA advanced....

One camera angle showed trajectory missing the entire rim by several cm. Airball and easy non-goaltending call. Refs officially decided their first game this tournament. Won't be their last.

No way, no way, no way....I watched that 30 times in slow-mo, that ball was not touching the rim. Why in the hell would the kid reach above the rim in that situation anyway? Is this the first game he has ever played? You never see goaltending at the rim like that on a long shot.....because no one is dumb enough to do it.

Feel bad for SMU, that was bad.

Sure would love to have B. Alford on Iowa's team. He's exactly the player the team is lacking. Kid hit some huge buckets down the stretch for UCLA and absolutely carried that team to victory.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:
Sure would love to have B. Alford on Iowa's team. He's exactly the player the team is lacking. Kid hit some huge buckets down the stretch for UCLA and absolutely carried that team to near victory.
FIFY

Short of keeping them all awake tonight nothing we are going to do as fans has one bit of bearing on the game tmrw. Having some fun ribbing them isnt a jinx.

Originally posted by wyohawk:

Sure would love to have B. Alford on Iowa's team. He's exactly the player the team is lacking. Kid hit some huge buckets down the stretch for UCLA and absolutely carried that team to near victory.
FIFY
No, it wasn't a "near" victory, it was a victory. Did you miss the final score? UCLA won, and there's no if, and's, or but's that change the fact.

One camera angle showed trajectory missing the entire rim by several cm. Airball and easy non-goaltending call. Refs officially decided their first game this tournament. Won't be their last. 

To be fair, UCLA got the rebound in layup position, so overtime was a good possibility. SMU missed two very makable shots at the end badly.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Whether the ball was going to hit the rim or not is irrelevant. The rule states that the ball must have a chance to go in to call goal tending. That ball had zero chance. The ref who made the call had the worst angle on the court.

FIFY
No, it wasn't a "near" victory, it was a victory. Did you miss the final score? UCLA won, and there's no if, and's, or but's that change the fact.
Refs awarded them victory, bro. Alford's effort was only good enough to get them almost there.

Originally posted by 2xer:

Whether the ball was going to hit the rim or not is irrelevant. The rule states that the ball must have a chance to go in to call goal tending. That ball had zero chance. The ref who made the call had the worst angle on the court.
So, any shot that looks to hit the side of the rim can just be tipped away? BS. From the above angle the ball is going to at least graze the rim IMO. You can't touch it.

goaltending

rgjvayxrr3swuvwbmui7.gif

FIFY
Refs awarded them victory, bro. Alford's effort was only good enough to get them almost there.
They still won the game. Do you think UCLA or even Iowa fans would have cared if the refs screwed up the call? Still, as another poster said the UCLA guy pulled down the rebound and would have had a layup for the put back, so good chance the game goes to OT anyway.

Alford won the game for them, not almost or near victory. The Bruins are advancing, bro.

This post was edited on 3/19 5:15 PM by PhantomFlyer

was the ball on a downward flight? if so it is a goal tending call, does not matter if the ball was going to hit the rim or not, all it has to do is be on a downward flight toward the rim.

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:

So, any shot that looks to hit the side of the rim can just be tipped away? BS. From the above angle the ball is going to at least graze the rim IMO. You can't touch it.
This is not important enough to seriously argue over, and I am not trying to insult you honest, but I am curious.....is there something that keeps you from being able to look at this objectively? Did you pick UCLA to the final 4.....or are you a stick to your guns guy who can't say "maybe I was wrong;" I mean no way you can look at that GIF rand think that is even a possibility is there? I feel like you are telling me the rim is 9 feet high here.

If it was more obvious, why didn't more than 1 ref (who was 30 ft away mind you) call it? Again, no big deal but am wondering.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

was the ball on a downward flight? if so it is a goal tending call, does not matter if the ball was going to hit the rim or not, all it has to do is be on a downward flight toward the rim.
And the Legend grows.....wow, just wow.

This post was edited on 3/19 5:19 PM by jhawkinaz

Originally posted by jhawkinaz:

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:

So, any shot that looks to hit the side of the rim can just be tipped away?  BS.  From the above angle the ball is going to at least graze the rim IMO.  You can't touch it. 
This is not important enough to seriously argue over, and I am not trying to insult you honest, but I am curious.....is there something that keeps you from being able to look at this objectively? Did you pick UCLA to the final 4.....or are you a stick to your guns guy who can't say "maybe I was wrong;" I mean no way you can look at that GIF rand think that is even a possibility is there? I feel like you are telling me the rim is 9 feet high here.

If it was more obvious, why didn't more than 1 ref (who was 30 ft away mind you) call it? Again, no big deal but am wondering.
I am wondering the same thing about you. How can you not see it? Every angle it looks like it's gonna touch the rim. I agree in that there is no way it would have gone in but it looks like it would have at least hit it. Even the announcers thought it did hit the rim on the first overhead shot but it was the hand a few inches above the rim. I have no dog in the hunt here. Really don't care. Just calling it like I see it sober on an HD screen.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT