ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Austin Killips for wining Women’s Bike race and $35,000

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Transgender cyclist Austin Killips won the Tour of the Gila in the women’s category, and some on social media weren’t happy.

Killips broke free from the pack late in the final stage of the tour in New Mexico, finishing at 3:07:16 ahead of Marcela Prieto and Cassandra Nelson by a margin of 89 seconds, according to the New York Post.

Killips took home $35,000 U.S. with the win, but was ripped on social media by some for competing in the women’s category, according to FOX.

The 27-year-old was fully sanctioned to compete in the event under the rules set by cycling’s governing body, UCI.
The high-profile “I Heart Bikes” Twitter account received 3,000 likes for a post on the subject:

“It’s a historic day. For the first time, a man has won the @UCI_cycling women’s @TouroftheGila. Thank you @AmyD_Foundation for making this possible.”

Former world champion cyclist Alison Sydor, of Edmonton, also tweeted: “The current UCI rules that allow males to compete in female cycling events are not fair to female athletes. Time for UCI to admit this current rule situation is unsustainable and leaving a black mark on cycling as a fair sport for females.”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Bro D and Hawkman34
If the women complaining don't like the rules, why are they competing under them? Good grief, boycott and start their own races with their own definition of "womyn." It's their entrance fees that make up the prize money!

If no one but 2 trans women sign up for a race, I guarantee you the organizers will change the rules real fast.

I'm confused. Are people saying this is okay? There are thousands of races but you won't find a prize of $35k at many of them. This is getting beyond ridiculous and I'm confused why people think this is okay... biological males are different than biological women.

As stated many times, you can have fairness or equality... you will never have both in this situation.

I'm not saying we need to kick trans people off the planet or that they can't play sports. They need to play with their biological sex. I absolutely do not hate them.

Before others want to make this political and go at whataboutisms... yes, guns are a massive problem in our nation. Not sure what that has to do with this topic though.

I'm confused. Are people saying this is okay? There are thousands of races but you won't find a prize of $35k at many of them. This is getting beyond ridiculous and I'm confused why people think this is okay... biological males are different than biological women.

As stated many times, you can have fairness or equality... you will never have both in this situation.

I'm not saying we need to kick trans people off the planet or that they can't play sports. They need to play with their biological sex. I absolutely do not hate them.

Before others want to make this political and go at whataboutisms... yes, guns are a massive problem in our nation. Not sure what that has to do with this topic though.

The point is "UCI" is perfectly capable of running their own affairs. Maybe if you don't like their rules, you don't compete under them, or, even better, take over leadership so that they craft their rules to follow your worldview.

That's the point. There are dozens of races around the country every day you'll never hear about, but we all hear about the 6 times in history it's ever happened.
Kinda like school shootings. Tons of shootings every day but we only want to talk about school shootings! Crazy.

The point is "UCI" is perfectly capable of running their own affairs. Maybe if you don't like their rules, you don't compete under them, or, even better, take over leadership so that they craft their rules to follow your worldview.

I completely understand what your saying but these athletes have already trained and have only a few years in their absolute prime. They may have sponsorship deals they have to follow through with. Maybe there's a no compete clause or contract violations, I have no idea.

As you stated, it takes someone to start something different and many people are afraid to speak about this subject because they don't want to be ostracized or seen as a MAGA villain. Heck, I absolutely don't want to be catagorized in that group. It's really getting difficult for people to speak up.

Reactions: slapchop
I completely understand what your saying but these athletes have already trained and have only a few years in their absolute prime. They may have sponsorship deals they have to follow through with. Maybe there's a no compete clause or contract violations, I have no idea.

As you stated, it takes someone to start something different and many people are afraid to speak about this subject because they don't want to be ostracized or seen as a MAGA villain. Heck, I absolutely don't want to be catagorized in that group. It's really getting difficult for people to speak up.
Getting difficult for fear of being labeled someone who votes one way......... well done dems.

Kinda like school shootings. Tons of shootings every day but we only want to talk about school shootings! Crazy.
I think at least local news covers lots of shootings every day, and they are almost all pretty objectionable.

Track or road races, swimming or gymnastics competitions, softball or soccer tiurnaments etc. are all integral parts of civil social society, and aren't comparable to criminal gun violence.

I think we are getting close to that moment like they had back during Occupy Wall Street when all the Dems jumped out early and supported it, then the marchers started crapping on cop cars and making ludicrous demands for dumb shit and suddenly, Nancy and the rest wanted no part of it and would just drop some standard “equal pay is good” comment and move on.

I think at least local news covers lots of shootings every day, and they are almost all pretty objectionable.

Track or road races, swimming or gymnastics competitions, softball or soccer tiurnaments etc. are all integral parts of civil social society, and aren't comparable to criminal gun violence.
You’re saying they happen every day when the reality is that women’s bike races thst pay $35,000 are pretty rare. And this prize was just taken from women and given to a man.

Better than talking about school shootings for them.

giphy.gif

Better than talking about school shootings for them.

I am not "them" and I didn't vote for Trump. I would love to see every gun wiped off the planet. I don't like that we have to keep lumping unlike things together. No more school shootings. I freaking start thinking about things when I'm with my kids at places like the Mall of America and what could go wrong. I hate it. I get why the 2nd Amendment is written and it's intent but it's criminally unsafe for civilians to have the same weapons as military. I do trust our military will not turn on us and force us into subjects again.

I've done homework on this topic. I've looked at how long it takes testosterone levels to drop. You can't undo when a man goes through puberty. There are biological differences that give men an advantage in most sports. It's documented.

This race was a big deal to those females who prepared for this. Training to be a great athlete is something none of us know about and there was $35k to the winning female. 2nd place wasn't even close. I get your point of sponsorship and the private group running the race but there simply isn't anywhere else for these women to go. I do believe that sports are ment to provide an opportunity to compete on a level playing field and that is not what happened.

Again, I don't want this message to turn into "I hate trans people" because that isn't true. They can be whoever they want under the law. This is simply about sports and fairness.

I am not "them" and I didn't vote for Trump. I would love to see every gun wiped off the planet. I don't like that we have to keep lumping unlike things together. No more school shootings. I freaking start thinking about things when I'm with my kids at places like the Mall of America and what could go wrong. I hate it. I get why the 2nd Amendment is written and it's intent but it's criminally unsafe for civilians to have the same weapons as military. I do trust our military will not turn on us and force us into subjects again.

I've done homework on this topic. I've looked at how long it takes testosterone levels to drop. You can't undo when a man goes through puberty. There are biological differences that give men an advantage in most sports. It's documented.

This race was a big deal to those females who prepared for this. Training to be a great athlete is something none of us know about and there was $35k to the winning female. 2nd place wasn't even close. I get your point of sponsorship and the private group running the race but there simply isn't anywhere else for these women to go. I do believe that sports are ment to provide an opportunity to compete on a level playing field and that is not what happened.

Again, I don't want this message to turn into "I hate trans people" because that isn't true. They can be whoever they want under the law. This is simply about sports and fairness.
So you’re advocating for hormone treatment in teens? Great.
All of the women who voluntarily entered this race knew the rules. Are you saying that they shouldn’t be able to decide? Or that the company running it can’t make their own decisions?

So my understanding is that republicans now think that telling a private business how it should run is good?
Exactly. Just as Democrats now believe women have had their time for minor successes and advancement and it’s time for the men to be gifted them.

Reactions: SIXERS24
It looks like Austin has the early lead for Woman Of The Year for 2023.

#heroic

With RAGBRAI right around the corner, Kimmy probably has the pen ready for "no trans on bikes" legislation

• Love
Reactions: DolphLundgren
Bicycle races, serious matters. I posit that too many people are too concerned with a bicycle race in New Mexico. There’s a pinewood derby car in Kansas that is an ounce overweight and the axles were put on by an adult. Call your congressman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT