ADVERTISEMENT

Consecutive free throw streaks heading into the 2020-21 season

I think you're in the minority there.

You call it a gift when his death ended his streak?

That pretty ****ed imo.
Chris never got the chance to show his best, and jbo was classy enough to respect that
I think it was classy yes, but the competitor that Chris was, I don't think he would have wanted the record to stay like this. Chris was and will be forever revered in Hawkeye lore, more then Marble or Armstong, or anyone, and nothing will ever change that including if JBO tears that record up and really puts it out there......

Reactions: NI hawk
I think it was classy yes, but the competitor that Chris was, I don't think he would have wanted the record to stay like this. Chris was and will be forever revered in Hawkeye lore, more then Marble or Armstong, or anyone, and nothing will ever change that including if JBO tears that record up and really puts it out there......
I don't think any of us knew street that well ;).

Reactions: Franisdaman
I don't think any of us knew street that well ;).
I was going off what his Dad said when interviewed after JBO missed intentially. He said they really appreciated it, but didn't expect it, and didn't think that Chris would have expected it either given the competitor he was...

As someone mentioned, Street's record didn't end with him missing a FT. No telling how high he might have set it if given the chance.

records are meant to be broken no matter how high they get. Statistically speaking it was quite unlikely for Street to make that many FTs in a row. He was a career 68.9% FT shooter at the start of the streak on a relatively large number of attempts. Fascinating he could make so many consecutively after being relatively mediocre prior to that.

I was going off what his Dad said when interviewed after JBO missed intentially. He said they really appreciated it, but didn't expect it, and didn't think that Chris would have expected it either given the competitor he was...
Expected isnt the same as wanted.

Either way we'll never know.

records are meant to be broken no matter how high they get. Statistically speaking it was quite unlikely for Street to make that many FTs in a row. He was a career 68.9% FT shooter at the start of the streak on a relatively large number of attempts. Fascinating he could make so many consecutively after being relatively mediocre prior to that.
Um....ok...?

Obviously because of how the record stopped these thoughts by most posters are based on emotion and not on statistical chances or facts.....

Um....ok...?
Really Hawkfan? If you remove your emotions from the equation what he said is makes sense. And yes, if you remove the emotions, records are simply a mark for others to shoot for, so yes I hope JBO gets another shot to break the record this year and he runs it out to 85 in a row......This won't diminish in anyway anything that Chris Street ever did, stood for or will be remembered for. His plaque on the wall as the players leave the locker room is a shrine to the team mate and person he was, and not about some free throw record.....

Um....ok...?

just a statistical observation about a streak. Seems as relevant as anything touchy feely related to it. Nobody's impression or memory of Chris Street will change if a kid several decades later makes a few more free throws in a row than he did.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I think JB intentionally missing the free throw to preserve the record was an awesome tribute to Street, but I hope he shatters the record if he has the opportunity to do it again. I wasn’t yet a Hawk b-ball fan when Chris was at Iowa, but from all I’ve heard and read, he exemplified playing to win the game - and would want that from Jordan and Iowa

Reactions: ZumaHawk
just a statistical observation about a streak. Seems as relevant as anything touchy feely related to it. Nobody's impression or memory of Chris Street will change if a kid several decades later makes a few more free throws in a row than he did.
Nobody said they would

That was a reply about wtf his previous ft % has to do with this.

Is that hard for you to grasp?

Lol derpity derp

it was simply an observation. If you are not a fan of math, then feel free to disregard. I found it interesting and perhaps the most unlikely FT streak I have ever seen in that regard

so please derp derp on

it was simply an observation. If you are not a fan of math, then feel free to disregard. I found it interesting and perhaps the most unlikely FT streak I have ever seen in that regard

so please derp derp on
I didn't derp you, but I guess I should now

Derp

Says the moron that cant differentiate a record that was ended by death vs a typical record.
Derpity derp
I hardly ever post but I’ve been following the boards since the bigten.org fan forums. That said, I want to reach out an let h4wkfan know it’s possible to have a life free of manic episodes. I sincerely hope you find the help and internal peace that you seem to desperately need.

I hardly ever post but I’ve been following the boards since the bigten.org fan forums. That said, I want to reach out an let h4wkfan know it’s possible to have a life free of manic episodes. I sincerely hope you find the help and internal peace that you seem to desperately need.
Stick with lurking....

Umm...... ok, I wouldn’t want to mess with what you have going on here.... 15k post in 4 years. This is just a small sample of your ridiculousness. I feel for the people actually in your life.

Says the moron that cant differentiate a record that was ended by death vs a typical record.
Derpity derp

in what way was I not aware of that or unable to differentiate? Unlike you, I remember Chris Street as a player and his FT streak and his death.

My post had nothing to do with how his streak ended (tragically), but yet pointing out the statistical unlikelihood of it at time it started. It would be similar to Luka Garza knocking down 30 or 40 in a row this season.

It's part of the charm of the streak.

in what way was I not aware of that or unable to differentiate? Unlike you, I remember Chris Street as a player and his FT streak and his death.

My post had nothing to do with how his streak ended (tragically), but yet pointing out the statistical unlikelihood of it at time it started. It would be similar to Luka Garza knocking down 30 or 40 in a row this season.

It's part of the charm of the streak.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with not breaking a record that was tragically ended by the death of a great young man

All records aren't the same afaic

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not breaking a record that was tragically ended by the death of a great young man

All records aren't the same afaic

I must have missed the point where I suggested it was wrong.

The only mildly related point I made was that there was nothing wrong with breaking a relatively meaningless record held by Street. It would not diminish his memory or his legacy in any way. I never argued Bohannon was a loser for intentionally missing a FT.

But as someone pointed out in this thread if Bohannon is serious about never breaking it he may want to intentionally clank some in some blowout games because you wouldn't want to be in a nailbiter and have to do it.

I must have missed the point where I suggested it was wrong.

The only mildly related point I made was that there was nothing wrong with breaking a relatively meaningless record held by Street. It would not diminish his memory or his legacy in any way. I never argued Bohannon was a loser for intentionally missing a FT.

But as someone pointed out in this thread if Bohannon is serious about never breaking it he may want to intentionally clank some in some blowout games because you wouldn't want to be in a nailbiter and have to do it.
I can't understand why you feel the need to start that with "all records are meant to be broken" and then basically go on to say he wasn't a very good ft.
Who knows what jbo would do if he gets to that point again. As for a close game, Iirc missing it meant nothing to the game. Good chance he doesn't do it if the shot mattered....no clue though.

I can't understand why you feel the need to start that with "all records are meant to be broken" and then basically go on to say he wasn't a very good ft.
Who knows what jbo would do if he gets to that point again. As for a close game, Iirc missing it meant nothing to the game. Good chance he doesn't do it if the shot mattered....no clue though.

if you can't understand, why bother commenting? It's merely an observation. The entire world doesn't need your comment. Simply ignore and move on with your life if you don't get it. Not every post requires your thoughts. The world will go on without it.

(and with that I will leave this post alone as I never intended to get into a pissing match with someone who apparently wants nothing but to)

if you can't understand, why bother commenting? It's merely an observation. The entire world doesn't need your comment. Simply ignore and move on with your life if you don't get it. Not every post requires your thoughts. The world will go on without it.

(and with that I will leave this post alone as I never intended to get into a pissing match with someone who apparently wants nothing but to)
The world doesn't need your comment either donald

Cool that Jordan missed the free throw to let Chris Street keep the record. But would you think less of him if he or one of the other guys break the record?

I think if JBo gets there again, he should break it. Love Chris Street, but records are made to be broken. JBo has been a great hawkeye in his own right. Chris would be 100% on board with someone like JBo holding the record.

I had mixed feelings about it as well. In the moment I thought it was nice, but I don't think Street would have wanted him to do it.....
It's the same in a lot of ways. If you're a competitor you always want to hold a record. If someone breaks it then you congratulate them but you never want it broken.
I always love the tennis games. If a person hits an ace he loves it. Same with a return that barely nips the base line. But then if someone hits the net and it rolls over good then they hold up their racket and say "sorry". They really don't mean it. Same when someone banks in a long three pointer. Sorry, but ha ha ha....JB will be remembered as a great three point shooter but remembered more for that missed free throw.

I guess the perfect situation would be for Jordan to have that opportunity again....

steps to the line like before and tries to miss but the ball bounces up, off the glass and back thru the hoop to break the record.

Everybody is happy ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT