ADVERTISEMENT

Consumer loans, Auto loans, and Credit Card delinquencies on the rise

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016

Not what you want to see if you were touting bidenomics last month haha. This is a troubling sign for the middle and lower classes plus the SL payments restarting next month could pour more fuel in this fire where families and individuals have to choose between bills and other items.

Like I have said in other threads, let’s wait until 6 months after the repayments start to see where we are as an economy. This news is not good for the left and easy for the republicans to frame this as the economy is not doing as good as Biden is saying.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Lots of red flags right now, imo, with consumer debt topping the list. Commercial real estate to follow and you are going to see residential real estate prices coming down real soon. Fed is getting what the fed wanted. Now do they push us into a recession? Continue to raise the rates and they most certainly will.

Lots of red flags right now, imo, with consumer debt topping the list. Commercial real estate to follow and you are going to see residential real estate prices coming down real soon. Fed is getting what the fed wanted. Now do they push us into a recession? Continue to raise the rates and they most certainly will.
It seems like the markets enjoy the slowdown on hiring so the fed is still pushing for a mini recession without admitting it’s pushing for one. But the consumer debt increasing like it has will continue to get worse into 2024 especially with the holidays coming up too.

Is this the soft landing they are hoping for or are we getting to the point where this is pushing us into a possibly worse recession? Will be interesting to see how this plays out

Not what you want to see if you were touting bidenomics last month haha. This is a troubling sign for the middle and lower classes plus the SL payments restarting next month could pour more fuel in this fire where families and individuals have to choose between bills and other items.

Like I have said in other threads, let’s wait until 6 months after the repayments start to see where we are as an economy. This news is not good for the left and easy for the republicans to frame this as the economy is not doing as good as Biden is saying.
Yes, clearly this is all on the Dems. As are the hurricanes and the recent hot weather.

giphy.gif

Good article on th le payment pause ending

“According to other recent research, borrowers who were in distress before the pandemic may be especially vulnerable now. Those with student loan delinquencies during the two years before the pandemic used the pause to increase credit card debt and auto loan debt, according to a preprint published this May. Distressed borrowers whose loans were paused had 12.3 percent more credit card debt than those whose loans weren’t paused, and auto loans rose 4.6 percent. When forbearance is lifted, those households may find themselves in more financial trouble than they were before. Meanwhile, according to a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau analysis from June, as many as 20 percent of borrowers have risk factors — like previous student loan delinquencies and new non-student debt delinquencies during the pandemic — that could make them struggle once payments resume. The CFPB also found that 8 percent of student loan borrowers have already fallen behind on other debts, thanks in part to higher interest rates on other kinds of loans.

Those struggles don’t matter just on an individual level — they could ripple out to the country as a whole. Defaults could lower credit scores, deflate markets, and help slow the economy. Short of that, millions of borrowers may just find that they have less to spend, dragging down the consumer spending that’s helped keep the economy afloat — just as the U.S. was hoping to avoid a recession. “If people get stretched thin enough, they may just not be able to pay back the debt on time. And so they might become delinquent, and that could hurt credit scores [and] … cause more financial distress,” Dinerstein said. “

Americans are addicted to spending money they don't have and living above their means. The Fed keeps raising rates and people just keep on spending. It'll be interesting to track car repos and personal bankruptcies over the next 6-12 months.

Last edited:

Good article on th le payment pause ending

“According to other recent research, borrowers who were in distress before the pandemic may be especially vulnerable now. Those with student loan delinquencies during the two years before the pandemic used the pause to increase credit card debt and auto loan debt, according to a preprint published this May. Distressed borrowers whose loans were paused had 12.3 percent more credit card debt than those whose loans weren’t paused, and auto loans rose 4.6 percent. When forbearance is lifted, those households may find themselves in more financial trouble than they were before. Meanwhile, according to a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau analysis from June, as many as 20 percent of borrowers have risk factors — like previous student loan delinquencies and new non-student debt delinquencies during the pandemic — that could make them struggle once payments resume. The CFPB also found that 8 percent of student loan borrowers have already fallen behind on other debts, thanks in part to higher interest rates on other kinds of loans.

Those struggles don’t matter just on an individual level — they could ripple out to the country as a whole. Defaults could lower credit scores, deflate markets, and help slow the economy. Short of that, millions of borrowers may just find that they have less to spend, dragging down the consumer spending that’s helped keep the economy afloat — just as the U.S. was hoping to avoid a recession. “If people get stretched thin enough, they may just not be able to pay back the debt on time. And so they might become delinquent, and that could hurt credit scores [and] … cause more financial distress,” Dinerstein said. “
When student loan repayment comes back next month, expect to see delinquencies to skyrocket.

It seems like the markets enjoy the slowdown on hiring so the fed is still pushing for a mini recession without admitting it’s pushing for one. But the consumer debt increasing like it has will continue to get worse into 2024 especially with the holidays coming up too.

Is this the soft landing they are hoping for or are we getting to the point where this is pushing us into a possibly worse recession? Will be interesting to see how this plays out

It's not so much they enjoy the slowdown in hiring, it's the thought of monetary policy that is as loose as OP's mom. Which is really, really loose. ;)

IMO, the soft landing is right here, right now. The fed is on the verge of tipping us into a recession if they continue increasing and tightening monetary policy. The last couple inflation reports have shown that the bulk of the YoY inflation we are seeing is in shelter/housing. Well, that is coming down right now as we speak. There is zero, nada, zilcho reason for them to increase anymore this year. They really need to sit back and see what the data, in real time, looks like over the next several months. Otherwise, they will overdo it much like they waited way too long in 2021 to back off the QT. I have zero faith in this federal reserve.

I refinanced & consolidated, along with the millions of others who still had student loans outstanding about a year ago in anticipation of a potential PSLF and my new loan is now with MOHELA.

I'm happy to report that my account balance is $0 as of today despite having not made a single payment on it since they assumed my loan.

Thanks Dark Brandon!

It's not so much they enjoy the slowdown in hiring, it's the thought of monetary policy that is as loose as OP's mom. Which is really, really loose. ;)

IMO, the soft landing is right here, right now. The fed is on the verge of tipping us into a recession if they continue increasing and tightening monetary policy. The last couple inflation reports have shown that the bulk of the YoY inflation we are seeing is in shelter/housing. Well, that is coming down right now as we speak. There is zero, nada, zilcho reason for them to increase anymore this year. They really need to sit back and see what the data, in real time, looks like over the next several months. Otherwise, they will overdo it much like they waited way too long in 2021 to back off the QT. I have zero faith in this federal reserve.
I completely agree with you, sometimes the best action is inaction.

We should both be on the Federal Reserve board.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Consumer debt, auto loans, student loans, mortgage loans - it's hard to evaluate without knowing the decisions made by the ones spending the money. Maybe it's just low income. Or it could be medical bills. Or it could be someone that bought an $85,000 truck or went to medical school and now works at a Casey's.

There is no doubt in my mind that people are stupid and make very poor financial decisions.

I guess this why we're seeing so many "credit card relief" and "tax relief" commercials these days.

People can’t handle credit, drugs, alcohol, social media, or guns in enough numbers that a negative impact happens to the rest of society that can.

Best thing that could happen is for the government to let all the lenders fry. They didn’t learn their lesson the last time.

We need a federal law where 3% is taken from everybody’s paycheck and placed in a targeted retirement index fund. You get it when you turn 55 or you are diagnosed with a fatal disease.

Makes the forced interest rate drops toward the end of Trump's administration look unwise.

Americans are addicted to spending money they don't have and living above their means. The Fed keeps raising rates and people just keep on spending. It'll be interesting to track car repos and personal bankruptcies over the next 6-12 months.
Better take a ten grand vacation to relief the stress of having debt.

• Love
Reactions: hawkeyez
Well, that didn't happen. Nor does it have anything to do with what is going on today.
It sure does...low interest rates encourage people to buy larger homes and more expensive items.

Then, when we have inevitable layoffs or downsizing...

It sure does...low interest rates encourage people to buy larger homes and more expensive items.

Then, when we have inevitable layoffs or downsizing...

Yeah, I know what lower rates do. You thinking what happened in 2019 has anything to do with what is going on now is funny though. It doesn't, at all.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Delinquencies in what? Student loans? That won’t happen
Across the board. The loan pause opened up cash flow. Many people rolled that extra cash flow into overpriced cars, houses, and credit cards they couldn't afford. Now, the "extra" cash flow goes away. Something isn't getting paid.

Yeah, I know what lower rates do. You thinking what happened in 2019 has anything to do with what is going on now is funny though. It doesn't, at all.
So someone that purchased a $500K home in 2019 and financed at 2.5% and got laid off this month and is filing for bankruptcy is a non factor in today's environment? Or that to avoid bankruptcy they're withdrawing $$$ from their 401k to survive isn't relevant?
Good to know!

Stop being argumentative and obtuse.

I am no economist, nor am I going to bring any partisan political takes into the discussion.

However, here is what I see:
  • Soaring rates of consumer debt
  • Decreasing rates of savings (have seen this a couple of places, but need to verify)
  • Massive national debt (the fault of nearly everybody in Washington DC, both parties, for the last several decades)
  • Very high interest rates
  • Inflation
  • Impending commercial real estate collapse
  • Frozen residential real estate market (nearly nobody is "moving up" in the housing market due to rate lock)

Hard to see how this doesn't lead to some sort of "event," right?

Buy Apple stock. No matter how bad things get, bet your ass the cellphone will be kept active and replaced when needed.

100% agree. There's no reason the Feds need to raise rates.

Heck the student loan pause that finally ends in October will be equivalent to a fed interest raise imo.

I would bet my life residential won't come down a whole lot

Across the board. The loan pause opened up cash flow. Many people rolled that extra cash flow into overpriced cars, houses, and credit cards they couldn't afford. Now, the "extra" cash flow goes away. Something isn't getting paid.

Student loans still would have displayed on credit reports, delinquencies might appear but they will appear as the economy freezes up and layoffs happen - not because student loans are due for multiple reasons

We have too many bigger headwinds right now to think that a fraction of a fraction of the student loan borrowers that choose to not make payments on one of the generous repayment plans is going to cause issues.

My wife is absolutely addicted to spending online. Zero concept of money. We still have separate checking accounts and credit cards. I’ll give her money every quarter to pay off her cards but then she is right back to having a 5k balance.

Yesterday two packages came . One was a new set of Tom Ford sunglasses and the other was a pair of shoes. When questioned she said they were on sale. It was still $294 dollars though

• Wow
Reactions: Funky Bunch
My wife is absolutely addicted to spending online. Zero concept of money. We still have separate checking accounts and credit cards. I’ll give her money every quarter to pay off her cards but then she is right back to having a 5k balance.

Yesterday two packages came . One was a new set of Tom Ford sunglasses and the other was a pair of shoes. When questioned she said they were on sale. It was still $294 dollars though
I call this ‘death by a thousand cuts’… the family doesn’t understand that all this shít adds up.

Reactions: ihhawk
So someone that purchased a $500K home in 2019 and financed at 2.5% and got laid off this month and is filing for bankruptcy is a non factor in today's environment? Or that to avoid bankruptcy they're withdrawing $$$ from their 401k to survive isn't relevant?
Good to know!

Stop being argumentative and obtuse.
Why would they get laid off today? BIden has the economy rolling and job market is great.

Yes, clearly this is all on the Dems. As are the hurricanes and the recent hot weather.

giphy.gif
The administration coined “Bidenomics”. They own it now…

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Hell, I never stopped paying on my son's student loan. No interest? Everybody should have jumped on that to pay off as much as possible.

But people are dumb.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
So someone that purchased a $500K home in 2019 and financed at 2.5% and got laid off this month and is filing for bankruptcy is a non factor in today's environment?
In what particular "environment" would that not be a problem?

I would bet my life residential won't come down a whole lot

Here is too hoping you are right. Fwiw, I don’t think we will see a crash, just a correction which is healthy and necessary. It would bring that inflation number down to the 2% target the fed is after. We could finally move on from this nonsense.

Couple of interesting fun facts about current market conditions if you will.

At todays rates, a 400k mortgage is about $1100/mo more than it was 18 months ago. Also, at todays rates, a 230k mortgage is the same payment amount a 400k mortgage was 18 months ago. :oops:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT