ADVERTISEMENT

Coordinators met with Media Today. Marco getting more reps than Deacon. Offense 85% installed

Lol. What's moronic is this post. You honestly think that team wins their last 4 regular season games had they made that switch?

Remember the context. (I don't necessarily agree), but the team felt they were robbed of the Minnesota game. During the week after the Minnesota game the announcement to let Brian go was also made. These factors combined to create a team that was hungry to prove that they were good enough. Not by switching QB's. But hungry to prove that what they already were was good enough. They had to do this by doubling down on who they were, fighting for each other, and pulling together as a unit. And the team did just that to the tune of 4 straight wins.

Backup QB's aren't going to be given any priority during a season. Now, during the spring, is when a staff will focus on Marco's development.

And the weak point you're trying to make is even less applicable with a new system being installed. More reps for Marco last season wouldn't have necessarily put his development in the new system much further along
You are either blind or stupid , i guess You missed all the fumbles , interceptions missed wrs and lack of scoring with Hill back there Iowa could have literally had Marco run zone reads and never throw a single pass and been better off in the Minnesota, Michigan and Tennessee Games and got Marco game reps so He would have been farther ahead this Spring . Go back to Your gallon of nacho dip and Cheetos

I was frustrated watching it too. Lamenting the past serves no purpose. Everyone knows what happened. Looking forward to hopefully something different and at least functional this season. Wouldn't that be exciting? 😀
these chuds will never let it go, and if the offense is successful this year we will be inundated with posts about how bad BF was and that KF kept him on. This is Iowa football for the foreseeable future, just chuds complaining about the past.

Sure there’s complaining of the past. Unfortunately the seeds that have been planted long ago are bearing the fruit now.

Hopefully Lester is able to stop the bad decisions from repeating and something new can be born out.

Under Kirk he has made horrible offensive decisions since KOK stepped away in 2011.

KOK - GDGD - BF

Each was worse than before.

Lester talking a nice game. So did Brian

Let’s see if there are actual changes.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
these chuds will never let it go, and if the offense is successful this year we will be inundated with posts about how bad BF was and that KF kept him on. This is Iowa football for the foreseeable future, just chuds complaining about the past.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Kirk brought it upon himself and the program and until people see real change this is all they have to talk about. All he's shown so far is that he's been forced against his will to hire a new OC. Most of them will move on when Kirk proves that he's actually willing to move forward with a functional offense by providing that OC with sufficient latitude to be successful. If on the other hand the offense still looks like the previous few years then fans will continue to bash it and for good reason.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Kirk brought it upon himself and the program and until people see real change this is all they have to talk about. All he's shown so far is that he's been forced against his will to hire a new OC. Most of them will move on when Kirk proves that he's actually willing to move forward with a functional offense by providing that OC with sufficient latitude to be successful. If on the other hand the offense still looks like the previous few years then fans will continue to bash it and for good reason.
Yes and no - if the offense shows marked improvement and sustains that, there will be posters/fans who will bring this up again and again.

Heck, we still have posters complaining about not starting Banks in ‘01.

Depth charts in the spring mean almost nothing. Not sure why people get hung up on it. It's good news that Marco is getting his chances. Maybe he doesn't get there, but I believe it won't be due to Hill being the No. 1 guy last year, but because Marco didn't get to No. 1 on his own merit (all this assumes that Cade isn't ready). There's a lot of time left until the first game to get this sorted out.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
meh, agree to disagree. It is likely my pessimistic view of people in general anyway however…

While complaints are certainly valid, it is not productive, it is no longer reality and I expect a lot of “what could have been” type posts after each successful outing. This board will be unreadable the first time we surpass 400 yards of total offense in a game. The problem with that is that it will just be the same stupid drivel they have repeated over and over and over in threads that have nothing to do with BF, KF, TL etc.

I guess my message is that they should just move on but I don’t expect they will.

Yes and no - if the offense shows marked improvement and sustains that, there will be posters/fans who will bring this up again and again.

Heck, we still have posters complaining about not starting Banks in ‘01.
Well history doesn't go away because tomorrow is different. The last 2 years have in fact been historically bad offense. The focus of 99% of the comments should it markedly improve will be about the new OC and Iowa's rise to prominence as it should be.

Certainly more points are going to help, in general.

At the same time, I've found fans' obsession with the lack of offense to be just not as important they've made it out to be.

Also, your point tends to get oversimplified by fans not examining whether their answers on offense happen to compromise the defense
It's not an either/or situation. This isn't 1934 with players going both ways. You can most certainly have a not dead last offense without sacrificing a top 10 defense.

Offensive line obviously needs improvement the last handful of years but I’m starting to get the feeling these changes are going to help them out a ton. No more trying to out execute the defense when they know what’s coming based on down and distance and personnel.
Kind of what I've been saying for years. I'm no o-line expert but it was painfully obvious they were always in a position to fail. Instead of stretching the field and take some pressure off the blocking personnel Biff's solution was to keep playing in a phone booth against 8-9 fronts but just do it better next time.... Absolutely bewildering that guy was allowed to have a high profile job like that for so long, family or not.

Sure but its so eazy peazy why isn't everyone just doing that? Simple formula right?
Who said it was easy? Nobody has claimed that.

His point is....there are posters who seem to think Iowa can't have a good offense AND a good defense....it can only be one or the other. Or that having a better offense would make the defense worse. That's just nonsense.

Also made clear that Marco is getting more than a fair opportunity and that his reps are not being compromised. In fact, Marco is getting double reps. All of this has been very understandable all along. And certainly points to how fairly the position is being competed for much moreso than do fitted fan narratives born out of pre-existing opinions of Kirk

Regarding facts: Lester said yesterday that Marco is getting 2 times the reps that Deacon is? Or, Marco is getting double of what? I don't recall an actual number being stated so if indeed this is a fact, can you point to that clip or that article that says this? Interesting, if true.

Regarding opinions: Anyone saying that Kirk should not have have had his son as OC & QB Coach was 100% correct. Are you saying otherwise?

Probably in theory.

But last season more points may have only changed the result of the the Minnesota game. A bit of a stretch to simplify the PSU, Michigan, and Tennessee games to such an extent

Certainly more points are going to help, in general. At the same time, I've found fans' obsession with the lack of offense to be just not as important they've made it out to be. Also, your point tends to get oversimplified by fans not examining whether their answers on offense happen to compromise the defense

Scoring 10 points a game (and sometimes it's the D doing the scoring), continual 3 and outs and punting is not winning you a B1G Championship, a CFP berth and more.

We had 4 VERY bad losses over the last 2 seasons:

7-10.......Clown U
6-9........Illinois
17-24.....Little Debbie
10-12.....Minnesota

And with the Brian Ferentz offense, we had no chance vs the current Big 3 of the B1G and no chance at winning a B1G Championship.

We got Outscored 188-13 in these 5 games:

1) We lost 42-3 to Michigan on Dec 4, 2021 in the B1G Championship game.

2) We lost 54-10 to Ohio State two seasons ago.

3) We lost 31-0 to Penn State last season.

4) We lost 26-0 to Michigan on Dec 2, 2023 in the B1G Championship game.

5) We lost 35-0 to Tennessee on Jan 1, 2024 in the Citrus Bowl.

If Marco can't surge past Deacon Hill, who had one of the worst statistical seasons in college football history, then they need to move on from Both Deacon and Marco.

We finally have a qualified, experienced QB coach (who played the position in college). I am hopeful that he gets the QB room fixed and adds what he needs thru the transfer portal

Reactions: Whinny

His point is....there are posters who seem to think Iowa can't have a good offense AND a good defense....it can only be one or the other. Or that having a better offense would make the defense worse. That's just nonsense.

fans have never asked for much. they just wanted an AVERAGE offense, not dead last in the country.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Well, I am not playing the what if game. Obvious;y it would have been nice to do better. I can say the same about women I have dated. Lol. What I am more focused on now is what other teams are thinking when they realize,...... oh shit Iowa is learning how to play offense.

Last edited:

Just saying man, why didn't Mike Leach just easily get himself a top 10 defense or top 20 or 30?

Bottom line: This is a new year, and a new spring camp with a new OC. The entire team has to learn a new offensive playbook right now. It can't wait. It has to be now. Hill has been given the QB job for this spring to help facilitate that learning, because of his past experience. Period. It's not a prediction that he will be on the two-deep roster in September. Cade is expected to be released to play in June, and will then take over as #1. In the meantime, Marco will have had enough learning and reps to bring him up to #2 when the season starts.

Time to stop freakin' about Deacon. He's being really helpful now.

Bottom line: This is a new year, and a new spring camp with a new OC. The entire team has to learn a new offensive playbook right now. It can't wait. It has to be now. Hill has been given the QB job for this spring to help facilitate that learning, because of his past experience. Period. It's not a prediction that he will be on the two-deep roster in September. Cade is expected to be released to play in June, and will then take over as #1. In the meantime, Marco will have had enough learning and reps to bring him up to #2 when the season starts.

Disagree. Deacon is not a D1 qb. He is beyond bad. Give Marco all the reps. I'd rather run wildcat every play. He was an absolute turnover machine. I rewatched the whole season. The amount of dangerous/borderline irresponsible throws he made....could of easily had 8 more int's then he already had. Him taking a snap in a game this season is coaching malpractice. Let him run scout team qb or fb

Last edited:

Yup. Nothing matters right now except every player is getting better.

Disagree. Deacon is not a D1 qb. He is beyond bad. Give Marco all the reps. I'd rather run wildcat every play. He was an absolute turnover machine. I rewatched the whole season. The amount of dangerous/borderline irresponsible throws he made....could of easily had 8 more int's then he already had. Him taking a snap in a game this season is coaching malpractice.

I hope we have something in James Resar, too.

Our QB room needs fixed and hopefully Lester is up to the job.

The Iowa QB Room:

Sure but its so eazy peazy why isn't everyone just doing that? Simple formula right?
I mean 129 teams, literally every team not named Iowa, have figured out how not to be below 4 yards per play so it must not be all that hard. And you have to move up 22 teams before someone else played 14 games (still dead last in total yardage with at least one and possibly two more games played). I'm not clamoring for top 25 on both sides of the ball but there's no reason to think improving on the offensive side will somehow cripple the defense. I'm sure they'd rather not have to play 32ish minutes every single game. Think how tormenting a consistently fresh Iowa defense would be.

Here, I am going to shut this thread down with a little bit of info. People who do well in life know how to move on. I do not know if you checked the calendar, but it is not yesterday, not last month, last year or even the year before. I know it is a boring time of year, but maybe plant a garden, clean the garage or go to the gym instead of spending one more second thinking about the past???

It's not an either/or situation. This isn't 1934 with players going both ways. You can most certainly have a not dead last offense without sacrificing a top 10 defense.
Exactly. If we truly wanted to play complementary football, we would have an offense that would give the defense a chance to rest and make adjustments.

practice-wetalkingaboutpractice.gif
yeah but how many times has kirk said "he practices better" or "you don't see what we see in practice"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT