ADVERTISEMENT

Cordell Pemsl's hardship waiver approved, still has two years of eligibility remaining

Pemsl along wtih CMac, JBo, Garza, JoeT are going to bring attitude. Things will get chippy in a lot of games next year... can't wait!

Pemsl along wtih CMac, JBo, Garza, JoeT are going to bring attitude. Things will get chippy in a lot of games next year... can't wait!
I would add Kriener to the group. JoeW doesn't back down, and I expect him to be more aggressive next year.

Reactions: Bro D
I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed this season judging by the comments on how good they are expecting Pemsl to be coming off of almost a whole lost season from injury/surgery.

He is an ok player. May even work out well this season at PF for us since we have two Cs that like to play away from the hoop on offense and he shouldn’t be more than 10 feet away from the basket unless he’s setting a pick. His bulk should help on defense too.

But he isn’t a great athlete. He isn’t a great shooter. He won’t be blocking shots or blazing down the court in transition. And he won’t be raining 3s. Of course the guy he’s replacing didn’t do a ton of any of those things either.

He’s crafty and he brings some tough guy attitude. Before Garza came along, Pemsl was our player with “old man game”. He will have a purpose. Rebound, get some garbage points, and make a few post moves a game. Hopully he’s in the 8 ppg, 6 rb/g range in around 20 minutes. That would be very helpful for us in replacing Cook. He did also show some signs of improvement in his one game last year, so hopefully that continues. But, I don’t expect him to play much more than 20 a game for fear of his body breaking down.

He’d be a great backup PF for us if he stays healthy. But with Cook leaving he’ll have to play more minutes than he probably should for a Big Ten school. Just don’t expect him to be playing 30 minutes with 15/10 per night.

Good post and overview. I’m hoping Nunge can step into the starting PF role and Pemsl can be that dependable player coming off the bench providing energy and toughness. In fact, I really don’t care what his stats are - just want him to bring some of he intangibles we got from Baer.

Good post and overview. I’m hoping Nunge can step into the starting PF role and Pemsl can be that dependable player coming off the bench providing energy and toughness. In fact, I really don’t care what his stats are - just want him to bring some of he intangibles we got from Baer.
L really liked Pemsl that frosh year. IIRC he got the rebound to JBo for the winner at Wisky. And this season he helped beat ISU!

He also was key in home win vs Purdue, Carver was lit after his charge taking against the behemoths- he had boards and buckets too iirc.

I think his open court game, outside of shooting, is underrated. Good and willing passer, runs ok, can stay in front of most. If healthy I expect him to start.

Ft stroke was better as soph (67) than frosh (57) too, if he's continued to work at it should be getting to 70-75 range. However, had to do some math.

Getting to 75% from the line would probably add a couple points a game to his ppg.

from his career rate of 60 he'd have to shoot 400+ fts for that to be true. If he's shooting 14 per game we're looking good.

That's fantastic! Happy for him. Gives him another year to recover from the injury so I think it's a win-win. He's going to play an important role in Iowa's success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT