ADVERTISEMENT

Could Iowa offense break any of these records?

pistachio1999

HR Legend
Nov 29, 2021

Fewest Yards of Total Offense Gained by a Winning Team​

1. Date: Sept. 30, 1944
    Record Holder: North Carolina State
    Record: 10 yards
    The Wolfpack cranked out a whopping 10 yards in their 13-0 win over Virginia in 1944. N.C. State finished the season 7-2, while the Cavaliers went 6-1-2.

Fewest Yards of Total Offense Gained, Single Game​

1. Date: Oct. 18, 1947
    Record Holder: Syracuse
    Record: -47 yards
    Syracuse passed for 60 yards and rushed for minus-107 in its 40-0 loss to No. 9 Penn State in 1947. The Orange finished the season 3-6, averaging a mere 8.6 points per game.
    The performance also earned the Penn State defense the NCAA FBS record for fewest yards allowed in a single game.

Most Passes Attempted Without Completion, Single Game​

Date: Oct. 18, 1946
    Record Holder: West Virginia
    Record: 18 passes attempted
    The Mountaineers threw 18 passes without a completion in their 6-0 loss to Temple back in 1946. They finished the season 5-5 and averaged 12 points per game, earning them the No. 90 slot out of the 120 teams nationally.

Fewest Passes Attempted, Both Teams, Single Game​

1. Date: Oct. 20, 1944
    Record Holder: Michigan State and Maryland
    Record: One pass attempted
    Maryland was the only team to attempt a pass in the entire 60 minutes of its 1944 game with Michigan State. The one try wasn’t completed, and the Terrapins fell to the Spartans 8-0 on their way to a 1-7-1 record.
    Michigan State went 6-1 that year, outscoring its opponents 167-31.

Fewest Passing Yards Gained, Both Teams​

Date: Nov. 13, 1943
    Record Holder: North Carolina and Penn State
    Record: -13 yards
    The Tar Heels went 1-of-7 for minus-seven yards through the air while the Nittany Lions went 2-of-12 for minus-six yards in their blockbuster 1943 meeting.
    North Carolina won the game 19-0 on the way to a 6-3 finish, Penn State went on to post a 5-3-1 record.

Fewest Yards Gained, Total Offense, Both Teams​

Date: Nov. 11, 1939
    Record Holder: Texas Tech and Centenary (Louisiana)
    Record: 30 yards total offense
    Texas Tech and Centenary’s 0-0 tie on Nov. 11, 1939 set at least nine NCAA FBS records. The two teams combined for 33 plays in the game, Tech gaining minus-one yard and Centenary posting 33.
    Single-game combined records shared by both teams include: fewest plays (33), fewest rushes (28), most punts (77) and most punt returns (42)

Most Scoreless Tie Games in a Season​

Date: 1937
    Record Holder: Temple
    Record: Four scoreless ties
    A record that will never be broken due to the overtime rule being added in 1996, Temple had four games end in a 0-0 draw during in its 1937 campaign.
    The Owls enjoyed scoreless draws with Ole Miss, Boston College, Holy Cross and Bucknell that year, finishing 3-2-4 under then-coach Pop Warner.

How can you run 33 plays but punt 77 times? I suppose punting doesn't count as a play, so they apparently punted on 1st down???

Rank of most likely to least:
  1. Fewest Yards of Total Offense Gained by a Winning Team [10]
    1. We were held to 66 yards against Wisconsin in 2017, and still scored 14 points due to two pick-6s. Gaining only 10 yards would be tricky though. There was a negative 80+ yard play a few years ago where a team was on the goal line, shotgun snap went over the QBs head, and both teams basically kicked the ball backwards trying to recover it. I believe the offense recovered inside their own 10 yard line. We could have something like that, or perhaps we face a 4th down with 8 seconds left at midfield up by 3 and Kirk draws up an intentional safety play to run the clock out and end the game.
  2. Fewest Yards of Total Offense Gained, Single Game [-47]
    1. Similar to #1. Couple a terrible offensive day with a catastrophic play that loses tons of yards and we could get under -47 yards.
  3. Fewest Passes Attempted, Both Teams, Single Game [1]
    1. Would take truly awful weather against a run heavy team. The Bills/Pats played a game recently where I think the Patriots only attempted 2 passes.
  4. Fewest Yards Gained, Total Offense, Both Teams [30]
    1. Similar to #1 and #2, but requires unique circumstances from both teams.
  5. Fewest Passing Yards Gained, Both Teams [-13]
    1. Sacks do not count against passing yards in the college game. Very difficult to see how this could be possible. Perhaps a forward pass followed by laterals which lose a ton of yards?
  6. Most Passes Attempted Without Completion, Single Game [18]
    1. If Iowa's passing game is this bad, I doubt we get to 18 passing attempts in the game. Wonder what the record is for most incompletions in a row over multiple games? We might have a shot at that.
  7. Most Scoreless Tie Games in a Season [4]
    1. Impossible now that college games cannot end in ties.

I listen to satellite radio and the Iowa offense. It's being mocked at a level that was even higher than last year. Full ride, Rick Nuehiesel I'm just gonna embrace them now.They find ways to WIN!

Unlikely that Iowa will challenge any of those records, but boy howdy, college football in the WW2 era had to be brutally terrible to watch if these records are any indication.

I listen to satellite radio and the Iowa offense. It's being mocked at a level that was even higher than last year. Full ride, Rick Nuehiesel I'm just gonna embrace them now.They find ways to WIN!
Yet nobody EVER talks about historically bad defenses year after year...I'm talking about YOU Colorado! All optics I guess, a 52-49 game is just that much more exciting and although nobody stopped anyone it's a moot point.

At this point, Iowa might as well just start running the triple option.

Yet nobody EVER talks about historically bad defenses year after year...I'm talking about YOU Colorado! All optics I guess, a 52-49 game is just that much more exciting and although nobody stopped anyone it's a moot point.
They are trying to turn it into the current state of the NBA. Points are hype. Defense is a snoozer. Even though just saw an article showing the average score for all teams across all NFL games this year is exactly 20.5 points! That's it.

How can you run 33 plays but punt 77 times? I suppose punting doesn't count as a play, so they apparently punted on 1st down???
That game also has the record for most punts by an individual in a game, but the record is only 26. So they were using more than one punter. That game was played on November 11, 1939. On that same day, Nile Kinnick set Iowa's records, which still stand, for most punts and punting yards in a game. Believe it or not!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT