ADVERTISEMENT

Could we see a Big Ten without all schools playing this fall?

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
I've mentioned this before as one of the things that has been discussed at the conference level. What if say, 12 of the 14 Big Ten schools are ready to go and open and can get their players back on campus. Would the conference just move forward without two members playing? Pretty sure the answer is yes.

James Franklin appears to be the first to have said this to the media.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...anklin-says-conferences-play-even-all-members

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Still to early to tell, but decisions are going to have to be made in the next month to six weeks about getting student-athletes back on campus and when/if that can occur. Last week U of I President Bruce Harreld projected June 1st. That seems to be a soft target at this point.

Also, there very likely won't be a Big Ten Media Day in Chicago this year. The Big 12 just pulled the plug on their conference gathering in late July. Other smaller conferences already said they are not having their football gatherings. I suspect the Big Ten will do the same. Conferences are going to do a virtual setting this year with the Big Ten taking place in late July.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News