ADVERTISEMENT

Countries that initially handled COVID well...

So basically no matter what anyone does it's going to spread.
If you look at world wide curves, the virus is now heading to lower lattitudes. It seems that it has mind of its own and is going to do what it is going to do. We do not understand it well enough yet. Hope an effective vaccine arrives soon. I think keeping things shut down is not great strategy because nothing seems to be making a big impact.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Not to be harsh in the grandma issue but wasn’t that gonna be true no matter?

I mean if you have a 85 yo grandma with heart and lung disease her life expectancy is really quite short anyhow. And if she gets C19 well....

If your grandma you referenced is 60 and no health problems then her life expectancy is greater admittedly but in turn her risk of dying from C19 quite a bit lower....

will there be anecdotes about people that were healthy and in their 40s dying? Probably. But they’ll be quite rare and no I’d expect no different than a normal year where people in their 40s die unexpectedly of something else.

They are not "rare", and the resulting morbidity rate we are seeing from those recovered are very very high.

Reactions: unIowa
How did we cross the line. If we close those things back down again it's not like anyone can say we were picking on them specifically. I'm not talking about shutting down the New England Patriots specifically.

And actually I don't think we need to shut restaurants down just do it entirely via takeout.

We have allowed those things to reopen, the line has been crossed according to your standard. I am not specifying any certain protest to be stopped, all need to be stopped. You set the parameters.

Misleading diagrams are misleading. Let's see how all of those compare using the same measurements, not just the relative measures against themselves.

Many countries did a very good job at restricting the virus spread from the beginning. Some of those are having a spike now but are engaging their same aggressive actions to bring it back in line.

Reactions: steelhawkeye
Simply fascinating how there never seems to be any interest or appetite for learning from other countries/societies and emulating something they’ve done or or doing that is proven successful.
You mean like just about everything this country did for the first 200 years that now those of your similar beliefs and mental illness are hell-bent on tearing down? Good point.

We have allowed those things to reopen, the line has been crossed according to your standard. I am not specifying any certain protest to be stopped, all need to be stopped. You set the parameters.

The problem is that when the next group wants to protest they will see themselves as being specifically targeted.

That isn't going to be the same as saying "No teams can play football" or "all bars must close".

Not to be harsh in the grandma issue but wasn’t that gonna be true no matter?

I mean if you have a 85 yo grandma with heart and lung disease her life expectancy is really quite short anyhow. And if she gets C19 well....

If your grandma you referenced is 60 and no health problems then her life expectancy is greater admittedly but in turn her risk of dying from C19 quite a bit lower....

will there be anecdotes about people that were healthy and in their 40s dying? Probably. But they’ll be quite rare and no I’d expect no different than a normal year where people in their 40s die unexpectedly of something else.
This simplistic look fails to consider that there are many, many who are 60+ with manageable health issues that can live full lives for many years. These people are at high risk as well.

Your cavalier attitude toward the death of others loved ones is disgusting.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
If you look at world wide curves, the virus is now heading to lower lattitudes. It seems that it has mind of its own and is going to do what it is going to do. We do not understand it well enough yet. Hope an effective vaccine arrives soon. I think keeping things shut down is not great strategy because nothing seems to be making a big impact.
Widespread testing and contact tracing has, we just don't do it here.

You mean like just about everything this country did for the first 200 years that now those of your similar beliefs and mental illness are hell-bent on tearing down? Good point.

You mean like slavery and lynchings???

Country is almost 244 years old. We were having unpunished slavery and lynching of African Americans for about the first 200 years.

This simplistic look fails to consider that there are many, many who are 60+ with manageable health issues that can live full lives for many years. These people are at high risk as well.

Your cavalier attitude toward the death of others loved ones is disgusting.
It’s not cavalier. It’s reality. I see it all the time. Loved ones die. We are all gonna die. If people are older or at risk otherwise then they stay home. It’s quite simple and being a realist doesn’t make me a heartless. Sorry. I hope no one ever loses a loved one but that isn’t how it works.

Dude, are you mental? Serious question.

Your response to Rudy is inane drivel that lacks any semblance of coherence or relevance to the quoted text. You are like an impudent 5-year old claiming it's wrong because you don't like it. That's your rebuttal? Really? Lol

If you are offering serious responses, which I frequently question with you because it often seems you are trying to score points with OIT, do you think they reflect positively or negatively on conservative positions?

You're a prime example of both faithiness and truthiness. You hold onto your self-ribboned ribbons, Golfer.

It’s not cavalier. It’s reality. I see it all the time. Loved ones die. We are all gonna die. If people are older or at risk otherwise then they stay home. It’s quite simple and being a realist doesn’t make me a heartless. Sorry. I hope no one ever loses a loved one but that isn’t how it works.

Seems to work far better for the citizens of comparable G-20 countries not named USA.

I never though the US response would be so piss poor that 5 months in, we have people who are bored with the virus, who are out throwing COVID parties, who are attacking people for wearing masks, who are preventing the government from requiring masks, and who have adopted the mantra “it is what it is.”

Please explain how this works. There are more than sixty million people at risk in this country, most are productive members of society. It would be not only damaging to them but to society as a whole to tell them to "stay home".

It isn't simple, you're not dealing with reality and your plan is heartless.

Seems to work far better for the citizens of comparable G-20 countries not named USA.

I never though the US response would be so piss poor that 5 months in, we have people who are bored with the virus, who are out throwing COVID parties, who are attacking people for wearing masks, who are preventing the government from requiring masks, and who have adopted the mantra “it is what it is.”
I’m not saying that our Covid management should be ‘is what it is’. They key piece though needs to be that those at risk stay home. They are not. I see people over age 75 out all over town. People that are younger shouldn’t need to. For the sake of our economy and the numerous other things the answer can’t be that the elderly and at risk can’t seem to stay home so everyone should stay home. The fact is that those at highest risk need to shelter themselves from anyone who could have Covid. It’s a very simple strategy. Everyone’s strategy nowadays seems to be focused on having everyone stay home for the benefit of the elderly. That makes no sense. The rest of us that are out and about working etc. should wear masks in public, distance, use good sanitary

But on the other hand, equally as important, the mantra of many on the left can’t be, well how many are you OK with dying? The answer would be none. But that’s not reality. Yet this retort gets thrown about continually. That’s just as sickening.

Please explain how this works. There are more than sixty million people at risk in this country, most are productive members of society. It would be not only damaging to them but to society as a whole to tell them to "stay home".

Productive? Well maybe valuable sure. But those over 60 aren’t exactly productive. And the reason I make this point, before you jump my ass for being heartless, is simply the vast majority of those over 60 do not work. The point is, it is relatively harmless to have them at home. While having the entire population of the US between 20 and 40 years of age would be massively damaging to the economy.

I have laid this out repeatedly but here we go again. My plan would be this.
1. Those are not at risk that are working should continue to work.
2. Schools and businesses should be open.
3. Large gatherings such as sporting events and concerts and the like should be allowed to occur however only under strict distancing rules that can be adhered to.
4. Bars and restaurants should be open as long as they can maintain distancing. Open air dining, when possible, should be encouraged.
5. Testing should be widely available. Those that test positive should isolate following CDC guidelines.
6. I do not believe that quarantining people that were exposed to the illness yet do not have symptoms is reasonable. Those people should be tested and allowed to return to work or activity, they should then monitor for symptoms and fever.
7. Those at risk should shelter in place. They should not be going out to the grocery store with masks off, going to grandson sporting events unless they can do so at a very safe distance. Some people’s suggestion that we should all shelter in place makes zero sense. Why shelter 100% of the population when sheltering 20% will do? I know this isn’t fair but too bad this whole virus isn’t fair.
8. All essential employees including educators healthcare workers, fire, police, EMS, grocery, trucking should be encouraged to do their jobs. Accommodations should be made for those with these jobs that are at risk by age or health conditions. Tax salary or benefit packages should be created to incentivize or “payback” if you will, those that put themselves at risk for the community.

Questions? Now that you have my recommended policy, how would yours be different? Please lay out your plan. I took the time....

Last edited:
Nursing homes should be locked down, bars and indoor dining closed. Online only schools for all levels, no sports at any level. No church services, there should be nothing allowed that creates large gatherings of people.
Like BLM Inc. protests?

So basically no matter what anyone does it's going to spread.

Nope. No doubt, when they opened back up, they have idiots like we have here that don't wear masks and don't social distance. Problem for us is we have waaaay more idiots than them.

Reactions: steelhawkeye
Nope. No doubt, when they opened back up, they have idiots like we have here that don't wear masks and don't social distance. Problem for us is we have waaaay more idiots than them.
Is it because we have way more people than them?

This is why I'll LOL if/when he or his family get the virus and have a bad outcome.
Because............LIFE!!!!o_O

4. Bars and restaurants should be open as long as they can maintain distancing. Open air dining, when possible, should be encouraged.

Most of 'em cannot turn a profit at 50% seating capacity. It's why so many are shutting down.

The only thing simple is his mindedness.

I’m not saying that our Covid management should be ‘is what it is’. They key piece though needs to be that those at risk stay home. They are not. I see people over age 75 out all over town. People that are younger shouldn’t need to. For the sake of our economy and the numerous other things the answer can’t be that the elderly and at risk can’t seem to stay home so everyone should stay home. The fact is that those at highest risk need to shelter themselves from anyone who could have Covid. It’s a very simple strategy. Everyone’s strategy nowadays seems to be focused on having everyone stay home for the benefit of the elderly. That makes no sense. The rest of us that are out and about working etc. should wear masks in public, distance, use good sanitary

But on the other hand, equally as important, the mantra of many on the left can’t be, well how many are you OK with dying? The answer would be none. But that’s not reality. Yet this retort gets thrown about continually. That’s just as sickening.
How do those people at risk get food, medication, doctor visits and other essentials? My guess is you will say have them delivered which would be another myopic statement that fails to recognize the issues with technology, affordability and knowledge for them to do so.

The issue is people not wearing masks, not social distancing and our governments piss poor testing/tracing capabilities. Let's focus on fixing those rather than a callous plan to ignore those at risk.

Reactions: Joes Place
Most of 'em cannot turn a profit at 50% seating capacity. It's why so many are shutting down.
Aside from that you’ve been demonizing my approach all along. What say you now? This is my plan. It’s easy to criticize what you think is my plan, or imply what my plan is. Which is what you’ve done prior. How is this plan wrong?

How do those people at risk get food, medication, doctor visits and other essentials? My guess is you will say have them delivered which would be another myopic statement that fails to recognize the issues with technology, affordability and knowledge for them to do so.

The issue is people not wearing masks, not social distancing and our governments piss poor testing/tracing capabilities. Let's focus on fixing those rather than a callous plan to ignore those at risk.
While there are always holes in any plan, I’m am quite certain that there are easy work around for those that can’t use the technology to get online orders placed. Like let’s just try a few here
Phone
Family
Church
Neighbors
Social services

Your attitude is wrong. Stop blaming government and focus on what you can do. How many elderly have you helped? Community is the cure to societies ills not the federal government.

Productive? Well maybe valuable sure. But those over 60 aren’t exactly productive. And the reason I make this point, before you jump my ass for being heartless, is simply the vast majority of those over 60 do not work. The point is, it is relatively harmless to have them at home. While having the entire population of the US between 20 and 40 years of age would be massively damaging to the economy.

3. Large gatherings such as sporting events and concerts and the like should be allowed to occur however only under strict distancing rules that can be adhered to.
5. Testing should be widely available. Those that test positive should isolate following CDC guidelines.
6. I do not believe that quarantining people that were exposed to the illness yet do not have symptoms is reasonable. Those people should be tested and allowed to return to work or activity, they should then monitor for symptoms and fever.
7. Those at risk should shelter in place. They should not be going out to the grocery store with masks off, going to grandson sporting events unless they can do so at a very safe distance. Some people’s suggestion that we should all shelter in place makes zero sense. Why shelter 100% of the population when sheltering 20% will do? I know this isn’t fair but too bad this whole virus isn’t fair.
8. All essential employees including educators healthcare workers, fire, police, EMS, grocery, trucking should be encouraged to do their jobs. Accommodations should be made for those with these jobs that are at risk by age or health conditions. Tax salary or benefit packages should be created to incentivize or “payback” if you will, those that put themselves at risk for the community.

Questions? Now that you have my recommended policy, how would yours be different? Please lay out your plan. I took the time....
Not bad, mine’s even simpler.

1. If you’re sick stay home.

2. If you own a bar, restaurant or any other business then YOU decide when it should be open and what rules apply.

And, 3. If you feel vulnerable then stay home and if you must venture out feel free to wear a mask: no one will judge you.

Is it because we have way more people than them?

Absolutely, but with the number of idiots we have, we are screwed unless there is a reliable vaccine. If not, it will just go in circles.

Get the numbers down, open back up, idiots are gonna idiot, and close portions back down again when the numbers spike.

Not bad, mine’s even simpler.

1. If you’re sick stay home.

2. If you own a bar, restaurant or any other business then YOU decide when it should be open and what rules apply.

And, 3. If you feel vulnerable then stay home and if you must venture out feel free to wear a mask: no one will judge you.

You're one of the idiots I was talking about. I won't go into detail why because it has been discussed here over and over....

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Productive? Well maybe valuable sure. But those over 60 aren’t exactly productive. And the reason I make this point, before you jump my ass for being heartless, is simply the vast majority of those over 60 do not work.
Employment
  • In 2015, 33 million Americans aged 55+ were employed, and 1.3 million were actively seeking work. (Bureau of Labor Statistics [BLS]
  • Nearly twice as many older workers aged 65+ were employed in 2015 than teenage workers (8.4 million vs 4.7 million). (BLS)
You want to minimize the importance of the older workforce but they are significant. And expecting these people to just quit their jobs so younger people can go without masks, go to concerts, not isolate when exposed, eat at restaurants is absurdly unfair and inhumane.

And few are calling for everyone to SIP, rather we are calling for mandatory masks, social distancing and much, much better testing/tracing/isolation plans. Stop misrepresenting.

I won’t argue the details of your plan, for the most part it’s reasonable. Thanks for the reply.

The best thing we can do for the vulnerable is keep the virus spread low and in control so they can participate in society and the economy. A plan that requires the majority of vulnerable to shelter in place is unworkable and counterproductive. Just as we need to keep schools open for the mental well-being of children, we need to what’s required for the elderly as well.

Your comment regarding those over sixty not being productive is not true. Ask Florida how they would be doing without those over sixty. They have a lot of disposable income that helps drive the economy.

Reactions: RileyHawk
If you support the shutdown of almost everything, as the person I quoted does, then you need to address protesting. If we are truly terrified of this virus and its spreading, there is no reason not to tell protestors they are taking a mandatory month vacation if they can't stay 6 feet apart and wear a mask. If you dont want to do that, then don't ask business owners to be the scapegoats to make it seem like you care about the virus.

He did, or does protesting not count as a large group of people gathering together? Of course, it's a lot harder to control people who are protesting. You just can't close a protest.

Employment
  • In 2015, 33 million Americans aged 55+ were employed, and 1.3 million were actively seeking work. (Bureau of Labor Statistics [BLS]
  • Nearly twice as many older workers aged 65+ were employed in 2015 than teenage workers (8.4 million vs 4.7 million). (BLS)
You want to minimize the importance of the older workforce but they are significant. And expecting these people to just quit their jobs so younger people can go without masks, go to concerts, not isolate when exposed, eat at restaurants is absurdly unfair and inhumane.

And few are calling for everyone to SIP, rather we are calling for mandatory masks, social distancing and much, much better testing/tracing/isolation plans. Stop misrepresenting.

You're fighting a losing battle. He is in the idiot category. You cannot reason with idiots.

Reactions: RileyHawk
While there are always holes in any plan, I’m am quite certain that there are easy work around for those that can’t use the technology to get online orders placed. Like let’s just try a few here
Phone
Family
Church
Neighbors
Social services

Your attitude is wrong. Stop blaming government and focus on what you can do. How many elderly have you helped? Community is the cure to societies ills not the federal government.
What a stupid, stupid comment. Community is what is spreading this virus. I stay away from the elderly in case I happen to be infected somehow. The elderly need to keep their distance - even you propose that.

Likewise your assumption that people have these resources available to them is completely ignorant of what many have to deal with. I'm confident all you know about are the well enough to do and that's all you care about. And that's a problem this country has that goes far beyond the pandemic.

He did, or does protesting not count as a large group of people gathering together? Of course, it's a lot harder to control people who are protesting. You just can't close a protest.

Yes, technically he did, but it needs to be publicly called out or the protest will continue. Hell, they'll continue anyway, so how do we handle that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT