ADVERTISEMENT

Country star Garth Brooks to play at Biden’s swearing-in: ‘This is a statement of unity’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Country star Garth Brooks will perform at Biden’s swearing-in ceremony Wednesday, reprising a role that he played during a concert at President Barack Obama’s inauguration.
Brooks, who noted on a call with reporters that he’s a Republican, said it’s important for the country to unify and he said he believes his music can help.
“Our job is to work as hard as we can for all of us to have a better future than before,” Brooks said. “This is not a political statement, this is a statement of unity.”
Later, he said he’s hoping to bring joy in a difficult time for the country.
“Hopefully through singing — hopefully there’ll be some smiling faces and hopefully a good outlook on what’s coming,” Brooks said.
The country singer said Jill Biden asked him to perform.
“She made a very sweet ask,” Brooks said. “We took the weekend to think about what we would sing if we got to do it and made the decision last night.”
Brooks provided few hints about what he might play. He said he’s looking for a tune that’s patriotic. “There are plenty of songs of love and unity that you can choose from,” he said.
The rollout of Brooks comes days after Trump invited another country superstar, Toby Keith, into the Oval Office and awarded him the Medal of the Arts. Keith had headlined a 2017 Make America Great Again event held at the Lincoln Memorial.

Is Garth sure he's a Republican? Because the currently platform doesn't support his lyrics.

This ain't comin' from no prophet,
Just an ordinary man.
When I close my eyes,
I see the way this world shall be
When we all walk hand in hand.
When the last child cries for a crust of bread,
When the last man dies for just words that he said,
When there's shelter over the poorest head,
We shall be free.
When the last thing we notice is the color of the skin,
And the first thing we look for is the beauty within;
When the skies and the oceans are clean again,
Then we shall be free.
We shall be free, we shall be free.
Stand straight, walk proud,
'Cause we shall be free.
When we're free to love anyone we choose,
When this world's big enough for all different views,
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew,
Then we shall be free.
We shall be free, we shall be free
Have a little faith, hold out,
'Cause we shall be free.
And when money talks for the very last time,
And nobody walks a step behind;
When there's only one race,
And that's mankind, then we shall be free.
We shall be free ,we shall be free
Stand straight, (walk proud, )
Have a little faith, (hold out;)
We shall be free.
We shall be free, we shall be free,
(Stand straight, ) stand straight,
(Have a little faith, ) walk proud,
'Cause we shall be free.

More unifying than the outgoing POTUS who won't be there. First outgoing POTUS in more than like 100 years to not do so.
This pos doesn't belong there at this point, this pos needs to be convicted at impeachment and sent to report to the NY attorney general for processing.

It's really unfortunate that so many people have become completely intolerant of anything that doesn't directly feed into or reinforce their own beliefs - no matter if it's right or wrong. And that's the same for both sides. Because someone doesn't completely align with you isn't a very good reason for not liking someone or no longer listening to their music or whatever.

I've got some real whackadoos on my FB but I've only unfriended one person, and that's after she was posting videos of herself standing up by the entrance to the capital on 1/6. I couldn't just overlook that she went to DC to make herself an active participant in that kind of criminal activity. I didn't report her to the FBI or whatever, but hopefully she gets held accountable for whatever crimes she committed.

But short of that, why would I bother finding out what the musicians I like supported, or who they voted for? That makes as much send as liking or disliking actors for whatever political opinions they have - I just want to be entertained!

It's really unfortunate that so many people have become completely intolerant of anything that doesn't directly feed into or reinforce their own beliefs - no matter if it's right or wrong. And that's the same for both sides. Because someone doesn't completely align with you isn't a very good reason for not liking someone or no longer listening to their music or whatever.

I've got some real whackadoos on my FB but I've only unfriended one person, and that's after she was posting videos of herself standing up by the entrance to the capital on 1/6. I couldn't just overlook that she went to DC to make herself an active participant in that kind of criminal activity. I didn't report her to the FBI or whatever, but hopefully she gets held accountable for whatever crimes she committed.

But short of that, why would I bother finding out what the musicians I like supported, or who they voted for? That makes as much send as liking or disliking actors for whatever political opinions they have - I just want to be entertained!
I still enjoy Ted Nugent’s music. I like a lot of Mel Gibson’s movies. Like you, I just want to be entertained.

I’ve actually met Garth. Back when he was first starting out. I actually spent two hours with him. Have him a ride. He seemed to be a genuine decent human being. The word is genuine. His documentary that was on A&E is really good as well.

Reactions: h-hawk and mnole03
Is Garth sure he's a Republican? Because the currently platform doesn't support his lyrics.

This ain't comin' from no prophet,
Just an ordinary man.
When I close my eyes,
I see the way this world shall be
When we all walk hand in hand.
When the last child cries for a crust of bread,
When the last man dies for just words that he said,
When there's shelter over the poorest head,
We shall be free.
When the last thing we notice is the color of the skin,
And the first thing we look for is the beauty within;
When the skies and the oceans are clean again,
Then we shall be free.
We shall be free, we shall be free.
Stand straight, walk proud,
'Cause we shall be free.
When we're free to love anyone we choose,
When this world's big enough for all different views,
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew,
Then we shall be free.
We shall be free, we shall be free
Have a little faith, hold out,
'Cause we shall be free.
And when money talks for the very last time,
And nobody walks a step behind;
When there's only one race,
And that's mankind, then we shall be free.
We shall be free ,we shall be free
Stand straight, (walk proud, )
Have a little faith, (hold out;)
We shall be free.
We shall be free, we shall be free,
(Stand straight, ) stand straight,
(Have a little faith, ) walk proud,
'Cause we shall be free.

My best friend in HS wasn’t allowed to buy that album (The Chase) by his dad because of that song. Today his dad is a huge Q supporter and subscribes to the Epoch Times.

My best friend in HS wasn’t allowed to buy that album (The Chase) by his dad because of that song. Today his dad is a huge Q supporter and subscribes to the Epoch Times.

Ya, Garth caught a ton of heat for that song. Good for him for not only insisting to record it, but to release it as a single.

Hillbilly hicks can f off

Even after Red Solo Cup? I don’t care about his politics but goddamn did his music start to suck.

Red Solo Cup is great. Would be an excellent entry into the five words to start an argument thread. His music definitely dropped off, but he was a terrific songwriter for a while there.

Wow, Cindy. Child molester...but she votes for Trump...who partied with ACTUAL child molesters. What in the everliving hell are we going to do with people who think like her? No logic or common sense at all.
Put them in the same room with the people that are still waiting on the Trump pee tapes and Russia Collusion Claims that dominated the media for 3-4 years...? Social Media does this, because nobody trust the traditional media any more.

Red Solo Cup is great. Would be an excellent entry into the five words to start an argument thread. His music definitely dropped off, but he was a terrific songwriter for a while there.
You mean the "we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way" era? Sorry, I'm more tolerant of the right's bigotry and hatred than I am of TK's or Ted Nugents shit music. Absolutely awful

So you want him there?

Consider it a blessing...

It would be better if he was there in some many ways. If he had accepted his loss and shown up, it would be a lot better.

Even now there would be some value to him being there as he could act as a shield against violent attacks on Biden. Because if he's sitting up there any of his cult members who decided to take shots at Biden would have to risk hitting their cult leader as well.

It would be better if he was there in some many ways. If he had accepted his loss and shown up, it would be a lot better.

Even now there would be some value to him being there as he could act as a shield against violent attacks on Biden. Because if he's sitting up there any of his cult members who decided to take shots at Biden would have to risk hitting their cult leader as well.
I really wish Biden would pull the plug on the outdoor event. Too much risk.

Whose that Man is an awesome song.

Early on (1993-99) he had some great songs and then it just devolved in to crap.

Should've Been a Cowboy
He Ain't Worth Missing
Wish I Didn't Know Now
Does That Blue Moon Ever Shine on You
We Were In Love
Dream Walkin'
I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying
How Do You Lie Me Now
You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Makes me want to pull out my Garth albums and jam those bad boys.

I have the box set with theses albums in it loaded in to my iTunes.
Garth Brooks
No Fences
Ropin The Wind
The Chase
In Pieces
Fresh Horses

I also have the Strait out of the Box albums from George Strait. Hours of great listening. Luke Bryan can go eff himself.

Early on (1993-99) he had some great songs and then it just devolved in to crap.

Should've Been a Cowboy
He Ain't Worth Missing
Wish I Didn't Know Now
Does That Blue Moon Ever Shine on You
We Were In Love
Dream Walkin'
I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying
How Do You Lie Me Now
You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This
Did he lose a song writer?

I have the box set with theses albums in it loaded in to my iTunes.
Garth Brooks
No Fences
Ropin The Wind
The Chase
In Pieces
Fresh Horses

I also have the Strait out of the Box albums from George Strait. Hours of great listening. Luke Bryan can go eff himself.
I preferred Dwight Yoakam and The Marvericks. Too many of the other groups at the time were products of the Nashville Machine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT