ADVERTISEMENT

Coverage of Paige in CR

Some of you people need to grow up and have a history lesson! Paige is not the highest rated player in metro history. I know some of you know it alls have never heard of Al Lorenzen ( Kennedy grad) he was considered the number 1 prospect in the nation his senior year by some outlets. Hell I think Russ Mallard (Washington High)was rated as high as Paige.

Too many small minded Iowa fans who whine and totally mischaracterize the kid and his family. Absolutely first class kid. I coached twenty games against him. I know how good he was as a player and as a young man. He also helped make Uthoff, Oglesby, and other local kids a lot better players and Iowa benefited from that.
Haters - he is having a much better life and future than you jealous bastards.

Some of you people need to grow up and have a history lesson! Paige is not the highest rated player in metro history. I know some of you know it alls have never heard of Al Lorenzen ( Kennedy grad) he was considered the number 1 prospect in the nation his senior year by some outlets. Hell I think Russ Millard (Washington High)was rated as high as Paige.

Not sure where anyone said him being the highest rated metro player, but I know this,he had the most successful collegiate career of any player in the metro and it's not even close.

It is pretty sad that such a cheating program can go unscathed. Cedar Rapids media should run some stories rehashing how much cheating went on at N. Carolina.
Why don't you write that article and send it to them but post it here first.

Oh, dear lord. Kids from every state leave home to play somewhere else every year.

Exactly, but then they generally cease to be a well-known entity in those regions once they leave. Only in Iowa is life so boring and bereft of interesting news that a kid that couldn't wait to hightail it out the first chance that he got is still fawned over like a hero.

Not sure where anyone said him being the highest rated metro player, but I know this,he had the most successful collegiate career of any player in the metro and it's not even close.
Go back and read the whole thread before you comment.

Seems pretty petty to blame the kid because he did not want to play for Fran and the dumpster fire that was the Iowa Hawkeyes basketball program. Let's see I can go to UNC and play in a nationally relevant program for a nationally relevant coach, OR I can go and play for a dumpster fire Iowa Hawkeyes and a coach just rising from a mid-major school. I bet that was a tough decision.

What possible rational reason would cause an Iowa Hawkeye basketball fan to be anything more than apathetic about some local kid that turned the Hawks down?

Here's where Paige stands...not quite the dick that Harrison Barnes and Raef Whatever are. At least he didn't hold a press conference while wearing local colors to declare his plan to abandon the three and half D1 programs to play for a school that most basketball fans in Iowa dislike. Or show up in public cheering against Iowa.

At the point an Iowa kid goes to another school he's at best an adversary to be defeated (as Paige was both times he played Iowa schools). Every time an in state player goes to a high profile media program like UNC they hurt the Iowa Hawkeye's chances to sign the next great Iowa HS player, to a greater or lesser extent. More cool for an Iowa kid to go to UNC than Iowa....

So the Paige sycophants can spare the moral lectures about "haters" and the great successful career he's going to have in the NBA. Marcus Paige is relevant in the lives of most Hawkeye fans only to the extent he impacts the Iowa Hawkeyes. Since the only thing he ever did that impacts the Iowa Hawkeyes is a significant net negative then he's a net negative. He's not noble, admirable or anything else good from the perspective of an Iowa Hawkeye fan.

What possible rational reason would cause an Iowa Hawkeye basketball fan to be anything more than apathetic about some local kid that turned the Hawks down?

Here's where Paige stands...not quite the dick that Harrison Barnes and Raef Whatever are. At least he didn't hold a press conference while wearing local colors to declare his plan to abandon the three and half D1 programs to play for a school that most basketball fans in Iowa dislike. Or show up in public cheering against Iowa.

At the point an Iowa kid goes to another school he's at best an adversary to be defeated (as Paige was both times he played Iowa schools). Every time an in state player goes to a high profile media program like UNC they hurt the Iowa Hawkeye's chances to sign the next great Iowa HS player, to a greater or lesser extent. More cool for an Iowa kid to go to UNC than Iowa....

So the Paige sycophants can spare the moral lectures about "haters" and the great successful career he's going to have in the NBA. Marcus Paige is relevant in the lives of most Hawkeye fans only to the extent he impacts the Iowa Hawkeyes. Since the only thing he ever did that impacts the Iowa Hawkeyes is a significant net negative then he's a net negative. He's not noble, admirable or anything else good from the perspective of an Iowa Hawkeye fan.

LOL

Young men who play for Iowa get noticed by Iowa fans all season, no, all year long. Young men or women that do well in just about any sport are going to be remembered by their hometown no matter where they go to college. There is nothing wrong with that.

I doubt very much Keokuk was doing a "Way to go Marcus!" story on the news. But Cedar Rapids did. Good for them! exactly as it should be.

Much as I hate to be the voice of reason, I do hope this kills this thread before it reaches 100 posts.

Reactions: Legend12
Young men who play for Iowa get noticed by Iowa fans all season, no, all year long. Young men or women that do well in just about any sport are going to be remembered by their hometown no matter where they go to college. There is nothing wrong with that.

I doubt very much Keokuk was doing a "Way to go Marcus!" story on the news. But Cedar Rapids did. Good for them! exactly as it should be.

Much as I hate to be the voice of reason, I do hope this kills this thread before it reaches 100 posts.

Just wanted to slide in under the century mark to say, "well said".

Some kids would rather play for championships rather than Round of 64 thrashings and for that I say well done Mr. Paige.

/Thread

Too many idiots care more about the "state of Iowa" than the University of Iowa.

It's sickening. They're the same morons who "pull for ISU when they're not playing the Hawks", and to a slightly lesser extent (because we don't compete head-to-head with them as much) the fake UNI fans who only show up during Arch Madness and the NCAA tourney to tell us how badly (insert Iowa coach here) missed out on (insert native Iowan here) who would have crawled through a field of broken glass to play for the Hawks if only we had offered.

/Thread

Too many idiots care more about the "state of Iowa" than the University of Iowa.

It's sickening. They're the same morons who "pull for ISU when they're not playing the Hawks", and to a slightly lesser extent (because we don't compete head-to-head with them as much) the fake UNI fans who only show up during Arch Madness and the NCAA tourney to tell us how badly (insert Iowa coach here) missed out on (insert native Iowan here) who would have crawled through a field of broken glass to play for the Hawks if only we had offered.

You really think......never mind.

I understand the point that from a pure Iowa Hawkeye perspective, you don't have to care about Paige and his accomplishments because he didn't choose Iowa. From the point of view of this original thread, the Gazette should care Paige and his accomplishments because he is from the Cedar Rapids metro area. Just like the Gazette should care about Zach Johnson and his accomplishments despite the fact that he did not attend the University of Iowa.

I realize this thread is on a Hawkeye message board but the thread was originally about too much coverage by CR on Paige. I would argue there wasn't enough coverage. Now, if the Des Monies Register or Press Citizen was having articles everyday about him, I could understand your point but not from the Gazette and KCRG who covered him from his freshman year in high school.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
Three straight days of the Gazette having something on the Golden State Warriors in the sports page. And there's not even an Iowa player that plays for them. The coverage of the Warriors by the Eastern Iowa paper is ridiculous.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT