ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 cases are rising in more than half the nation, with a new “double mutant” strain now detected in California

I dont wear a mask anywhere I go and it feels great smiling and waving at others. I don't give a rat's ass what any of you lie-absorbing, media-fed coronabros think.

Please pretend I care about how anyone responds to that on this pathetic message board

Did you get laid off or something? Why are you so desperate for attention?

I dont wear a mask anywhere I go and it feels great smiling and waving at others. I don't give a rat's ass what any of you lie-absorbing, media-fed coronabros think.

Please pretend I care about how anyone responds to that on this pathetic message board

lol this guy is mad

Reactions: BelemNole

I will say your screen name was aptly chosen.

Reactions: BelemNole
No one is dumber than a Trump-backing anti-vacc/mask COVID minimizer. Mitch McConnell thinks such people need to get on the train so we can reopen. Mitch McConnell.
Not sure who your talking about? I am scheduled to get the vaccine next Thursday.

its obviously a lie. I never mentioned qanon. He knew what q meant.
No, it is not a lie. I told you I had heard of the term (which you conveniently ignored). And that it is apparently a derogatory label slapped on republicans.

Gee....I’m sorry I choose not to get all wrapped up in these stupid “labels” that seem to be so popular, like q and antifa. But then, I’m not a hate filled partisan like so many on this board are.

Carry on.

FUNFACT: Iowa's rank won't change if you use deaths per 100,000 or deaths per 1,000,000
FUNFACT: The post to which he was replying mentioned cases per 100K, which is why G4P asked him where Iowa ranks in deaths per 1M.

FUNFACT #2: While Iowa has the 4th highest cases per capita since the beginning of the pandemic, Iowa has just the 17th highest number of deaths per capita.

FUNFACT: The post to which he was replying mentioned cases per 100K, which is why G4P asked him where Iowa ranks in deaths per 1M.

FUNFACT #2: While Iowa has the 4th highest cases per capita since the beginning of the pandemic, Iowa has just the 17th highest number of deaths per capita.

And if you ignore the first wave, when Iowa had practically none, and just look at July onward, Iowa is Top Ten.

Initial wave is a highly biased statistic, because the virus did not hit everywhere equally in the first few months.

FUNFACT: Iowa's rank won't change if you use deaths per 100,000 or deaths per 1,000,000
I know. Fluffles was talking about cases, I was talking about deaths.

Of the ten best states in deaths per capita, five have Democrat governors, five have Republicans. The ten worst? Even split again.

And if you ignore the first wave, when Iowa had practically none, and just look at July onward, Iowa is Top Ten.

Initial wave is a highly biased statistic, because the virus did not hit everywhere equally in the first few months.
You do seem to enjoy picking cherries.

How about we take a look at where things stand right now? As in today, April 7, 2021. Two months after Dems on this board screamed that Kim was murdering people by lifting the mask mandate.

Iowa stands squarely in the middle of the pack for daily new cases, ranking 24th. Iowa's average over the past 7 days is 17.8 new cases per day per 100K population. That's about 10% below the national average of 19.8 per day per 100K.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
I know. Fluffles was talking about cases, I was talking about deaths.

Of the ten best states in deaths per capita, five have Democrat governors, five have Republicans. The ten worst? Even split again.

Again: look at the link I'd posted, which shows AFTER the first wave, which did NOT hit US states "equally". Including that in your "analysis" is a terribly biased 'statistic'.

...by selecting disregarding the first four months of the pandemic.

You really are stupid, aren't you?

• Initial wave hit A FEW states; NOT every state evenly
  • Initial wave hit when NO ONE knew effective treatments, and as such the pandemic was FAR more lethal in that first few months
  • Starting at the 2nd Wave is a FAR less biased metric, because the virus had spread into all the states by then, and everyone was beginning from a much more equal baseline
  • Starting at the 2nd Wave was AFTER there were SOME treatment measures found to be effective; rotating patients on their stomachs; dexamethasone, etc.

That ain't "selectively disregarding". That's eliminating the KNOWN biases from the analysis, so that you can actually make an apples-apples comparison.

2nd Wave of US cases began in June
2nd Wave of US deaths began in July

Look it up if you don't believe me.

You really are stupid, aren't you?

• Initial wave hit A FEW states; NOT every state evenly
  • Initial wave hit when NO ONE knew effective treatments, and as such the pandemic was FAR more lethal in that first few months
  • Starting at the 2nd Wave is a FAR less biased metric, because the virus had spread into all the states by then, and everyone was beginning from a much more equal baseline
  • Starting at the 2nd Wave was AFTER there were SOME treatment measures found to be effective; rotating patients on their stomachs; dexamethasone, etc.

That ain't "selectively disregarding". That's eliminating the KNOWN biases from the analysis, so that you can actually make an apples-apples comparison.

2nd Wave of US cases began in June
2nd Wave of US deaths began in July

Look it up if you don't believe me.
Keep in mind that this conversation started with you failing to understand the difference between cases and deaths, and then quickly changing the subject to distract from that gaffe.

tenor.gif

Keep in mind that this conversation started with you failing to understand the difference between cases and deaths, and then quickly changing the subject to distract from that gaffe.

tenor.gif

So, yes. You really don't understand why starting at the 2nd Wave is the proper analysis.

Carry on.

So, yes. You really don't understand why starting at the 2nd Wave is the proper analysis.

Carry on.
The virus ebbs and flows in various regions across the country. Iowa hit its peak in mid-November, at the exact same time as border states like Illinois and Wisconsin and Minnesota.

So I guess we just tell the families of the 40,000 people who died last spring in New York and New Jersey that they don't fvcking count because we're taking a Mulligan.

9Hai.gif

The virus ebbs and flows in various regions across the country.

So?

You still don't seem to understand that the First Wave only hit a few places, and was FAR more lethal than any subsequent wave.

If you want to compare responses and effectiveness across states, START with similar baselines: 2nd Waves.

So?

You still don't seem to understand that the First Wave only hit a few places, and was FAR more lethal than any subsequent wave.

If you want to compare responses and effectiveness across states, START with similar baselines: 2nd Waves.
The virus was in every state during the first wave. It slammed NY and NJ hardest because Cuomo kept sending infected elderly patients back into the nursing homes from whence they came so they could infect all the other residents and kill them.

The virus slammed the upper midwest in November. It's slamming the northeast again right now. It ebbs and flows. You want to ignore all the mistakes made by NY and NJ in the first four months because it helps your narrative.

The virus was in every state during the first wave.

No, it was not remotely equally dispersed.
You simply cannot make a case that the first wave was an "equal baseline" starting point for all the states.

Certainly, the 2nd wave isn't perfect, either, but it is FAR less biased. That.Is.The.Point

Michigan is leading the way. Governor Whitmer began to ease restrictions and now she learned her lesson. Lock it down.
Here is the obvious answer for those not paying attention. Those that locked down the hardest didn’t change the overall number of cases. They merely prolonged the pain and opened themselves up to time and the development of new strains. We have all forgotten the original intent of all these precautions. Flatten the curve. Many states did that then gradually opened back up.

We have now set the bar to not even just a death reduction, its now, gosh cases are up!

WHO CARES. If deaths are down, hospitalizations are down, vaccines are out, more effective meds are available and hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, who cares about the fact 20 year olds are getting It? I feel like some of these states just prolonged the pain where others ripped off the bandaid earlier and are better off now. Iowa.as a good example. Guess we will see in the next few weeks but it has already been nearly 2 months since lifting the mask mandate and here we are. Same as prior.

Now I don’t live in California, maybe things are different there for other reasons I am not aware of but many states strategy is working.

My hospital has, without getting too specific, less than 10 cases inpatient, far less actually.

Iowa is nearly back to normal. Will it stay that way? I dunno. I hope so.

No, it was not remotely equally dispersed.
You simply cannot make a case that the first wave was an "equal baseline" starting point for all the states.

Certainly, the 2nd wave isn't perfect, either, but it is FAR less biased. That.Is.The.Point
It has NEVER been equally dispersed. It ebbs and flows in various regions across the country. Cuomo made some horrendously poor decisions last spring and turned New York into the world's COVID hotspot. You can't simply pretend that didn't happen.

The upper midwest got slammed in October and November. The northeast is getting slammed again RIGHT NOW.

It has been MORE EQUALLY dispersed AFTER the intial wave.

AGAIN: LESS BIASED.
If the virus is more equally dispersed now then please explain to me why right now, of the 14 states that are at the highest COVID-19 risk level, 12 of them are Democratic states. One of them is your home state of Colorado. Most of them are in the northeast.

Please explain to me why, two months after guys like you insisted that Kim Reynolds was sentencing people to death by lifting the mask mandate and ordering schools to hold in-person classes, Iowa has a lower per capita new case rate than Illinois and Maryland and Maine and Minnesota.

And Michigan and Colorado and Vermont and New Hampshire.

And Delaware and Connecticut and New Jersey.

And New York and Pennsylvania and Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

If the virus is more equally dispersed now then please explain to me why right now, of the 14 states that are at the highest COVID-19 risk level, 12 of them are Democratic states. One of them is your home state of Colorado. Most of them are in the northeast.
You literally just stated "the virus waxes and wanes".

I've simply informed you that the First Wave is a terribly biased statistical metric, and by using 2nd-Wave on, you are including MOST of the data and examining LESS BIAS.

You literally just stated "the virus waxes and wanes".
So in summary, you agree with me that the virus "waxes and wanes". But you want to include the period in the fall when the virus was slamming the upper midwest while completely disregarding the period last spring when the virus slammed the northeast. Because 'no fair, do over'.

So in summary, you agree with me that the virus "waxes and wanes".

I've explained to you, multiple times now, that the initial wave was extremely biased in where it hit.
There are two solutions to this bias: eliminate those hard hit states from the analysis completely OR skip past the first wave, and examine the datasets from the 2nd wave on.

Instead of recognizing that, you literally doubled-down on the cherry picking, and tried to examine the "recent months" as some sort of "gotcha" statistic.

From the 2nd Wave on, MOST of the areas hit have been on "equal footing", and things have hit more evenly over time. The other caveat right now are the more infectious variants, which are causing worse outbreaks in some areas vs others. And, again, over time that tends to even out. Which is why if you want to compare the states, you need to look over the longer timeframes IF that overall comparison is what your goal is. How each state handles local outbreaks on shorter timescales is subject to lots of other variables, which you consistently ignore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT