ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 experts say they warned White House about chance of an Omicron-level event within the next two years

Kenneth Griffin

HR Legend
Jan 13, 2012
In March, the White House reached out to about a dozen Covid-19 experts who are closely following the evolution of the coronavirus to ask a simple question: What did they think were the chances of the world seeing a highly mutated variant, akin to Omicron, within the next two years?

The experts came up with a surprisingly narrow range of probabilities, between 5% and 30%, according to Dr. Eric Topol, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. He said the data was shared with him on the phone after he gave his own estimate of 15% to 20%.

Most believed that the odds would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% to 20%.

Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, told CNN that he was one of those experts.

He was approached by Dr. Ashish Jha, the Covid-19 response coordinator for the White House, for “just a informal phone conversation about my thoughts about immunity and variants and the chance of new variants emerging. It was not an official consultation meeting, as far as I could tell. It really was more of just a informal discussion amongst colleagues, I think,” Barouch said.

“I said that there is a chance that there will be a new variant that is a fundamental shift, kind of like Delta to Omicron was. I thought that that was–it was not an infinitesimal chance, but it also is not an 80% chance,” he said. Jha pressed him to give a number, and Barouch told him, “my gut feeling is that it’ll be in the 20% range.”

Barouch said he was pleasantly surprised to find out that most of the other experts have put the chances around there, too.

One, Dr. Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, did some very simple modeling based on the fact that there’s been one Omicron-level shift in the virus in about 3½ years of transmission. That happened in November 2021, when the Omicron variant was first detected in the US.

Carrying that forward in time, he estimated that the risk of another such event within the next two years was higher, about 40% between now and May 4, 2025, he told CNN.

“40% feels intuitively high. The main reason that 40% number could be off is if in today’s world Omicron-like events are now much less likely than in the world of 2020-2021. However, I don’t see an obvious reason for this to be the case,” Bedford wrote in an email, noting that scientists are tracking highly mutated cryptic lineages in people who have been infected for long periods of time.

The calls to experts came as the Biden administration prepared for the end of the public health emergency for Covid-19, which is set for Thursday.

The White House’s effort to collect these expert estimates was first reported Friday by the Washington Post.

The end of the US emergency will come with a host of changes to how the government tracks the pandemic, with data collection becoming less frequent in most cases and less granular. Labs will no longer have to submit testing data to the government. Reporting of cases by states will also become discretionary.

Topol said he thinks the dismantling of data systems is a mistake, given the consensus that another highly disruptive variant could be on the way within a few years.

“I wish there wouldn’t be as much letdown, because this is on the horizon, is a real risk,” he said.

Topol said he’s also concerned by recent congressional efforts to reclaim funds that have been dedicated to coronavirus response, which some estimate could be as much as $50 billion.

About $5 billion of that unspent money has been allocated to developing the next generation of Covid-19 vaccines, which Topol says are needed now more than ever to defend against an Omicron-level event.

“This is why it’s so essential we get these next-generation vaccines, the nasal vaccines, the pan-coronavirus universal vaccines, the monoclonal antibodies that work against all versions of this virus,” Topol said.

CNN has reached out to the White House for comment. An official said efforts to respond to Covid-19 will continue but in a different form after the public health emergency ends.

“As we transition out of the emergency phase of Covid, the White House is standing up the Office of Pandemic Preparedness Response (OPPR) as required by law,” the official said.

“OPPR will work with HHS and other agencies on continued Covid response work – including prep for future surges, as well as be the lead [Executive Office of the President] division for future pandemic preparedness.”

Can we do a preemptive two-year shut down effective 7/4/2023 in response? Going out to stockpile masks and TP now.

Reactions: artradley
I think a better title would be:

Covid-19 experts tell White House there is only a 10-20 percent chance of an Omicron-level event within the next two years but caution to keep programs up to continue preparing for next generation of vaccines and treatments.​

Seems pretty realistic and smart to me.

That’s actually pretty good news.

Read optimistically that means 80-90% chance there WON’T be a new omicron level variant in the next two years.

And if there is, we are far more prepared to deal with it than the last time.
Just a hoax

Reactions: noleclone2
I would suggest putting Kamala in charge of the preparedness. We will work together and continue to work together to address these issues and to work together as we continue to work, operating from the new norms, rules, and agreements, that we will convene to work together. We will work on this together.

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

In March, the White House reached out to about a dozen Covid-19 experts who are closely following the evolution of the coronavirus to ask a simple question: What did they think were the chances of the world seeing a highly mutated variant, akin to Omicron, within the next two years?

The experts came up with a surprisingly narrow range of probabilities, between 5% and 30%, according to Dr. Eric Topol, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. He said the data was shared with him on the phone after he gave his own estimate of 15% to 20%.

Most believed that the odds would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% to 20%.

Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, told CNN that he was one of those experts.

He was approached by Dr. Ashish Jha, the Covid-19 response coordinator for the White House, for “just a informal phone conversation about my thoughts about immunity and variants and the chance of new variants emerging. It was not an official consultation meeting, as far as I could tell. It really was more of just a informal discussion amongst colleagues, I think,” Barouch said.

“I said that there is a chance that there will be a new variant that is a fundamental shift, kind of like Delta to Omicron was. I thought that that was–it was not an infinitesimal chance, but it also is not an 80% chance,” he said. Jha pressed him to give a number, and Barouch told him, “my gut feeling is that it’ll be in the 20% range.”

Barouch said he was pleasantly surprised to find out that most of the other experts have put the chances around there, too.

One, Dr. Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, did some very simple modeling based on the fact that there’s been one Omicron-level shift in the virus in about 3½ years of transmission. That happened in November 2021, when the Omicron variant was first detected in the US.

Carrying that forward in time, he estimated that the risk of another such event within the next two years was higher, about 40% between now and May 4, 2025, he told CNN.

“40% feels intuitively high. The main reason that 40% number could be off is if in today’s world Omicron-like events are now much less likely than in the world of 2020-2021. However, I don’t see an obvious reason for this to be the case,” Bedford wrote in an email, noting that scientists are tracking highly mutated cryptic lineages in people who have been infected for long periods of time.

The calls to experts came as the Biden administration prepared for the end of the public health emergency for Covid-19, which is set for Thursday.

The White House’s effort to collect these expert estimates was first reported Friday by the Washington Post.

The end of the US emergency will come with a host of changes to how the government tracks the pandemic, with data collection becoming less frequent in most cases and less granular. Labs will no longer have to submit testing data to the government. Reporting of cases by states will also become discretionary.

Topol said he thinks the dismantling of data systems is a mistake, given the consensus that another highly disruptive variant could be on the way within a few years.

“I wish there wouldn’t be as much letdown, because this is on the horizon, is a real risk,” he said.

Topol said he’s also concerned by recent congressional efforts to reclaim funds that have been dedicated to coronavirus response, which some estimate could be as much as $50 billion.

About $5 billion of that unspent money has been allocated to developing the next generation of Covid-19 vaccines, which Topol says are needed now more than ever to defend against an Omicron-level event.

“This is why it’s so essential we get these next-generation vaccines, the nasal vaccines, the pan-coronavirus universal vaccines, the monoclonal antibodies that work against all versions of this virus,” Topol said.

CNN has reached out to the White House for comment. An official said efforts to respond to Covid-19 will continue but in a different form after the public health emergency ends.

“As we transition out of the emergency phase of Covid, the White House is standing up the Office of Pandemic Preparedness Response (OPPR) as required by law,” the official said.

“OPPR will work with HHS and other agencies on continued Covid response work – including prep for future surges, as well as be the lead [Executive Office of the President] division for future pandemic preparedness.”

Ken, just an fyi. Calling it an “omicron level event” doesn’t make me any more fearful of it than calling it a “Kamala Harris level event”.

Obviously this things not completely gone - if anything we’re in a surge if my anecdotal senses are right. But take your cues from the cdc director- when who says there is no more global health emergency, it is time to step away from the keyboard.

Reactions: The Tradition
Essentially they are guessing. And they have a lot of money to make by pushing vaccines on the public and creating more fear.

The shift to omicron was big but it was also massively beneficial to the people. Omicron was very contagious but not near as deadly as delta. It was frequently contracted without having any symptoms at all.

No one cares I'd you get covid if you don't get sick and don't have any symptoms or long term effects.

The data shows that healthy people <65 with a normal immune system are at a very low risk of developing serious illness from covid. Even if you are a high risk individual, your risk is still low.

Only people/doctors who are blindly following cdc recommendations are still advising vaccines for all.

I can also say, most providers at the largest hospital in Iowa are blindly following cdc guidelines. most of them have not researched the current data anymore than going to the cdc website. but this is the state of Healthcare now. it's sad and unfortunate.

Did you not understand the answer?

I really don't care what your number is but nobody has a clue what your answer is. Nobody has a clue how old you are or when you started getting the flu shot.

I'm short of 40 and I'm pretty sure my flu shots and COVID shots are the same number because I didn't get a flu shot until I had to and I've been significantly more sick since I have been getting them. I've also had COVID at least twice.

Just my experience though...

Essentially they are guessing. And they have a lot of money to make by pushing vaccines on the public and creating more fear.

The shift to omicron was big but it was also massively beneficial to the people. Omicron was very contagious but not near as deadly as delta. It was frequently contracted without having any symptoms at all.

No one cares I'd you get covid if you don't get sick and don't have any symptoms or long term effects.

The data shows that healthy people <65 with a normal immune system are at a very low risk of developing serious illness from covid. Even if you are a high risk individual, your risk is still low.

Only people/doctors who are blindly following cdc recommendations are still advising vaccines for all.

I can also say, most providers at the largest hospital in Iowa are blindly following cdc guidelines. most of them have not researched the current data anymore than going to the cdc website. but this is the state of Healthcare now. it's sad and unfortunate.
Or maybe they’ve witnessed what covid was capable of doing to some and aren’t quite yet ready to relax. They don’t need to research anything, they lived it.

I really don't care what your number is but nobody has a clue what your answer is. Nobody has a clue how old you are or when you started getting the flu shot.

I'm short of 40 and I'm pretty sure my flu shots and COVID shots are the same number because I didn't get a flu shot until I had to and I've been significantly more sick since I have been getting them. I've also had COVID at least twice.

Just my experience though...
Maybe you are out of shape.

• Wow
Reactions: DolphLundgren
Or maybe they’ve witnessed what covid was capable of doing to some and aren’t quite yet ready to relax. They don’t need to research anything, they lived it.
I've witnessed it, I've see what omicron did. They said they "did some very simple modeling". That is the scientific way of saying they have no idea.

But if you or anyone else has any solid evidence to back up this claim, I am willing to listen.

Yes

Let's totally ignore this, so we're not prepared next time. 👀
What exactly are you proposing?

I agree with learning from the covid 19 response and changing our actions for the next pandemic.
What does this mean to you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT