ADVERTISEMENT

New England Journal of Medicine: Long Covid and Impaired Cognition — More Evidence and More Work to Do

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
It’s an interesting read and there’s more at the link. But I think this is the part most will find interesting.

Modest cognitive decline occurred with the original virus and with each viral variant, including B.1.1.529 (omicron). As compared with uninfected participants (control), cognitive deficit — commensurate with a 3-point loss in IQ — was evident even in participants who had had mild Covid-19 with resolved symptoms. Participants with unresolved persistent symptoms had the equivalent of a 6-point loss in IQ, and those who had been admitted to the intensive care unit had the equivalent of a 9-point loss in IQ. Of importance, these deficits were associated with many of the other symptoms that have been reported by persons with long Covid. The greatest deficits in cognitive function were associated with the original strain of the virus (before December 1, 2020) and the early B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant (from December 1, 2020, to April 30, 2021). Longer hospital stays and durations of acute illness were predictors of persistent global deficits. Memory, reasoning, and executive function (i.e., planning) tasks were the most sensitive indicators of impaired function, and scores on these tasks tended to correlate with brain fog. Vaccinations provided a small cognitive advantage. Reinfection contributed an additional loss in IQ of nearly 2 points, as compared with no reinfection.

I think it’s interesting to note vaccinations help with cognition, that’s mentioned near the end of the article.

Reactions: noleclone2
I think it’s interesting to note vaccinations help with cognition, that’s mentioned near the end of the article.
donald trump GIF

Is that the same NEJM that published Fauci's opinion on February 28, 2020?

Here's a link to the 4 year old article. For Joes Place, there's a mention of Covid not being any worse than the flu, and a few other assumptions that contradict a lot of the early fear mongering you spread.
Fauci NEJM 2020

The real question then becomes:

Will Covid kill off MAGA Republicans faster than it creates them?

Here's a link to the 4 year old article. For Joes Place, there's a mention of Covid not being any worse than the flu, and a few other assumptions that contradict a lot of the early fear mongering you spread.
Fauci NEJM 2020

Oooh....2020 news on a virus we knew nothing about at the time!!!
Saucy!!!!

Fauci NEJM 2020
Holy shit…is it possible to be any dumber than this? And I’m being serious - you post a lot of stupid shit but this has to rank in your top ten. Kudos, I suppose.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT