ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Now An "Ordinary Illness"? Excess Death Numbers Suggest So.

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Measuring Covid deaths

The United States has reached a milestone in the long struggle against Covid: The total number of Americans dying each day — from any cause — is no longer historically abnormal.

During Covid’s worst phases, the total number of Americans dying each day was more than 30 percent higher than normal, a shocking increase. For long stretches of the past three years, the excess was above 10 percent. But during the past few months, excess deaths have fallen almost to zero, according to three different measures.

The Human Mortality Database estimates that slightly fewer Americans than normal have died since March, while The Economist magazine and the C.D.C. both put the excess-death number below 1 percent. Here is the C.D.C. data:

oakImage-1689380282383-jumbo.png

Source: C.D.C. | Data is through the week ending June 17, 2023. | By The New York Times

After three horrific years, in which Covid has killed more than one million Americans and transformed parts of daily life, the virus has turned into an ordinary illness.

MORE HERE

Measuring Covid deaths

The United States has reached a milestone in the long struggle against Covid: The total number of Americans dying each day — from any cause — is no longer historically abnormal.

During Covid’s worst phases, the total number of Americans dying each day was more than 30 percent higher than normal, a shocking increase. For long stretches of the past three years, the excess was above 10 percent. But during the past few months, excess deaths have fallen almost to zero, according to three different measures.

The Human Mortality Database estimates that slightly fewer Americans than normal have died since March, while The Economist magazine and the C.D.C. both put the excess-death number below 1 percent. Here is the C.D.C. data:

oakImage-1689380282383-jumbo.png

Source: C.D.C. | Data is through the week ending June 17, 2023. | By The New York Times

After three horrific years, in which Covid has killed more than one million Americans and transformed parts of daily life, the virus has turned into an ordinary illness.

MORE HERE
Bullcrap. There are 20-30k Fauci fanatics dying from strokes and heart attacks everyday from the Covid vaccine.

Bullcrap. There are 20-30k Fauci fanatics dying from strokes and heart attacks everyday from the Covid vaccine.
We should be able to run the numbers on that. My theory on any big effect from the vaccine is that it would be almost impossible to miss. Too many eyes on the question.

So many factors at play here, the number of people who missed routine cancer screenings during covid has leveled out now, weakened strains of covid, employers having better sick day policies, many of the most vulnerable already died with/of covid...

Jokes aside, I certainly think with the vaccine and natural weakening of the virus strains, this definitely seems the case. I certainly know some people getting it, and getting sick. But it is just the same as hearing a coworker is out with the flu.

I think the next big story to emerge will be the long term impacts from some of the people impacted by the harsher early strains circa 2020-2021. There are a lot of people in this country still impacted with long covid, circulatory issues, lung issues, and other weird neurological impacts. I think everyone of us knows several people like this. I know of about 5 in my network, ranging from dying this year from the complications to still not able to smell or taste well.

Good to see. Excess deaths were sort of the undeniable stat the whole time.

I know personally we now treat it like a cold/flu strain. I don’t run out and test myself every time I start coughing anymore. Just like I didn’t before the pandemic. Between vaccine and general natural weakening. It’s more like a flu now in my opinion.

This is very hopeful. But notice that previous years also had a trough around this time of the year.

The difference is that the current trough is staying low. If that continues into the fall, the optimism could be warranted.

Might be a bit too son to celebrate right now.
I am home right now with Covid. I Have had symptoms since Saturday and so far they have been fairly mild. This is my first time getting Covid (I am fully vaxed). My neighbor's wife is a physician and she indicated there has been a spike recently in people testing positive, most likely due to summer vacations and 4th of July get-togethers. I have not been on vacation and did not attend a 4th party. Oh well.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I am home right now with Covid. I Have had symptoms since Saturday and so far they have been fairly mild. This is my first time getting Covid (I am fully vaxed). My neighbor's wife is a physician and she indicated there has been a spike recently in people testing positive, most likely due to summer vacations and 4th of July get-togethers. I have not been on vacation and did not attend a 4th party. Oh well.
Well thank Trump for your multiple shots, it could have been so much worse!!!

This is very hopeful. But notice that previous years also had a trough around this time of the year.

The difference is that the current trough is staying low. If that continues into the fall, the optimism could be warranted.

Might be a bit too son to celebrate right now.
Yep

Expectations are we will still see winter infection waves. And those projections are tens of thousands of deaths, comparable to very bad flu seasons.

Basically a "normal" Covid winter will look like a bad flu pandemic, at least in the next few years.

COVID Variant EG.5

This is bad news for Kenneth Griffin.

Is he Game Day Ron now? I’m not here that much but damn whoever GDR is has serious problems.

Then again, if one leaves this board for a while and comes back, it’s pretty obvious most posters here have major issues with anger.

Is he Game Day Ron now? I’m not here that much but damn whoever GDR is has serious problems.

Then again, if one leaves this board for a while and comes back, it’s pretty obvious most posters here have major issues with anger.

Stay away! You suck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT