ADVERTISEMENT

Obamacare Is in Grave Danger, Again

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Are you better off than you would have been 14 years ago? If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have a preexisting medical condition and don’t have a job that comes with health benefits, the answer is, overwhelmingly, yes.
Why? Because before the Affordable Care Act, a.k.a. Obamacare — signed into law on March 23, 2010, although many of its provisions didn’t kick in until 2014 — you probably wouldn’t have been able to get health insurance. Today you can, thanks to provisions in the law that prevent insurers from discriminating based on medical history and that subsidize insurance premiums for many Americans. (These subsidies also provide healthy people with an incentive to purchase insurance, improving the risk pool.)
And President Biden strengthened the program, notably by extending provisions eliminating the “cliff” that cut off subsides for many middle-class Americans.
But in the near future, you may well lose that hard-won access. In 2017, Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress tried to eviscerate the A.C.A. and almost succeeded in passing a bill that the Congressional Budget Office estimated would have left 22 million more Americans uninsured by 2026. There’s every reason to believe that if the G.O.P. wins control of Congress and the White House in November, it will once again try to bring back the bad old days of health coverage. And it will probably succeed, since it failed in 2017 only thanks to a principled stand by John McCain — something unlikely to happen in today’s Republican Party, where slavish obedience to Trump has become almost universal.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Before I get to the politics, let’s talk about what Obamacare has achieved.
During the Obama era, voices on the right made many dire predictions about its effects. They claimed that the law wouldn’t really expand coverage, that it would be a fiscal disaster and a job killer.
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
None of these predictions came true. The percentage of Americans without health insurance has fallen by almost half since 2010. Federal spending on health programs, far from exploding, has grown much more slowly than forecast. Back in 2010, the budget office expected outlays on major mandatory health programs to reach 10 percent of G.D.P. by the mid 2030s and “continue to increase thereafter”; it now expects that number to be less than 7 percent. As for jobs, the employment rate among Americans in their prime working years is at its highest level in more than two decades.

And Obamacare, initially a political liability for Democrats, is now quite popular. Indeed, the narrowly failed Republican attempt to gut the law probably played a large role in Democratic success in the 2018 midterm elections.
So why is this success story in grave danger?
First, it’s important to remember that Trump, aside from his venomous attitude toward immigrants and his protectionist instincts, has shown that he neither knows nor cares much about the details of policy. Last week, he posted a screed about how an “INVASION” of migrants is “KILLING SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE,” which is both the opposite of the truth and a demonstration that he has little idea how even the biggest, most important government programs work.
When he was in office, Trump was putty in the hands of right-wing economic ideologues, who actually know how to write legislation that serves their objectives; practically his only major budgetary initiatives were a tax cut for the wealthy and corporations, which passed, and the attempted gutting of Obamacare, which fell just short.

And what we know is that even though Trump likes to portray himself as a populist, right-wing economic ideology still rules among congressional Republicans, who are as eager as ever to effectively destroy Obamacare. Last week, the Republican Study Committee, which includes a majority of G.O.P. members of the House of Representatives, released a budget proposal that teed up many of the 2017 “reforms” that would have caused millions of Americans to lose health coverage. (It also called for down-the-road cuts in Social Security and Medicare.)
What I found striking about the budget proposal was how its authors deal with the fact that none of the dire predictions right-wingers made about Obamacare have come true. The answer is that they simply pretend that the bad things they predicted, which didn’t happen, did. I was struck, for example, by the assertion that Obamacare “dramatically escalated the unsustainable rise in American health care spending.” Indeed, in 2010, total U.S. health care spending was 17.2 percent of G.D.P. By 2022 that number had risen to … 17.3 percent of G.D.P.
So the reality of Obamacare’s success won’t deter Republicans who want to destroy it. If anything, the law’s success only increases their determination to kill it, because it shows that, contrary to their ideology, government actually can make Americans’ lives better.
And Trump will go along — he’ll egg them on — because making Americans’ lives better isn’t his primary objective.
Ultimately, right-wingers would like to rip up America’s whole safety net. But they’ll probably start with Obamacare; if they sweep this year, I won’t be surprised if the program is effectively gone by 2026.

Of course it is,.. Democracy, motherhood and apple pie are also under potential threat...

• Angry
Reactions: HawkMD
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Are you better off than you would have been 14 years ago? If you’re one of the millions of Americans who have a preexisting medical condition and don’t have a job that comes with health benefits, the answer is, overwhelmingly, yes.
Why? Because before the Affordable Care Act, a.k.a. Obamacare — signed into law on March 23, 2010, although many of its provisions didn’t kick in until 2014 — you probably wouldn’t have been able to get health insurance. Today you can, thanks to provisions in the law that prevent insurers from discriminating based on medical history and that subsidize insurance premiums for many Americans. (These subsidies also provide healthy people with an incentive to purchase insurance, improving the risk pool.)
And President Biden strengthened the program, notably by extending provisions eliminating the “cliff” that cut off subsides for many middle-class Americans.
But in the near future, you may well lose that hard-won access. In 2017, Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress tried to eviscerate the A.C.A. and almost succeeded in passing a bill that the Congressional Budget Office estimated would have left 22 million more Americans uninsured by 2026. There’s every reason to believe that if the G.O.P. wins control of Congress and the White House in November, it will once again try to bring back the bad old days of health coverage. And it will probably succeed, since it failed in 2017 only thanks to a principled stand by John McCain — something unlikely to happen in today’s Republican Party, where slavish obedience to Trump has become almost universal.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Before I get to the politics, let’s talk about what Obamacare has achieved.
During the Obama era, voices on the right made many dire predictions about its effects. They claimed that the law wouldn’t really expand coverage, that it would be a fiscal disaster and a job killer.
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
None of these predictions came true. The percentage of Americans without health insurance has fallen by almost half since 2010. Federal spending on health programs, far from exploding, has grown much more slowly than forecast. Back in 2010, the budget office expected outlays on major mandatory health programs to reach 10 percent of G.D.P. by the mid 2030s and “continue to increase thereafter”; it now expects that number to be less than 7 percent. As for jobs, the employment rate among Americans in their prime working years is at its highest level in more than two decades.

And Obamacare, initially a political liability for Democrats, is now quite popular. Indeed, the narrowly failed Republican attempt to gut the law probably played a large role in Democratic success in the 2018 midterm elections.
So why is this success story in grave danger?
First, it’s important to remember that Trump, aside from his venomous attitude toward immigrants and his protectionist instincts, has shown that he neither knows nor cares much about the details of policy. Last week, he posted a screed about how an “INVASION” of migrants is “KILLING SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE,” which is both the opposite of the truth and a demonstration that he has little idea how even the biggest, most important government programs work.
When he was in office, Trump was putty in the hands of right-wing economic ideologues, who actually know how to write legislation that serves their objectives; practically his only major budgetary initiatives were a tax cut for the wealthy and corporations, which passed, and the attempted gutting of Obamacare, which fell just short.

And what we know is that even though Trump likes to portray himself as a populist, right-wing economic ideology still rules among congressional Republicans, who are as eager as ever to effectively destroy Obamacare. Last week, the Republican Study Committee, which includes a majority of G.O.P. members of the House of Representatives, released a budget proposal that teed up many of the 2017 “reforms” that would have caused millions of Americans to lose health coverage. (It also called for down-the-road cuts in Social Security and Medicare.)
What I found striking about the budget proposal was how its authors deal with the fact that none of the dire predictions right-wingers made about Obamacare have come true. The answer is that they simply pretend that the bad things they predicted, which didn’t happen, did. I was struck, for example, by the assertion that Obamacare “dramatically escalated the unsustainable rise in American health care spending.” Indeed, in 2010, total U.S. health care spending was 17.2 percent of G.D.P. By 2022 that number had risen to … 17.3 percent of G.D.P.
So the reality of Obamacare’s success won’t deter Republicans who want to destroy it. If anything, the law’s success only increases their determination to kill it, because it shows that, contrary to their ideology, government actually can make Americans’ lives better.
And Trump will go along — he’ll egg them on — because making Americans’ lives better isn’t his primary objective.
Ultimately, right-wingers would like to rip up America’s whole safety net. But they’ll probably start with Obamacare; if they sweep this year, I won’t be surprised if the program is effectively gone by 2026.

Burn the mother****er to the ground so my premiums go down 50%!

Reactions: okcpokefan12
if our country doesn’t seem to ever want free health care for all, I’d rather see Obama care go away as health benefits easily are a greater contributor at my current job then my actual pay.

Why should people without a job or crappy health care continue to get better health care while I don’t receive any sort of compensation in my pay.

And before you start in with all the bashing about people having unfortunate situations, I too was faced with an unfortunate situation and that’s why I got a job where I am currently working.

Binny is always focused on the important things.
More than 18 million people have coverage thanks to the ACA’s Medicaid expansion and more than 45 million are enrolled today in coverage related to the ACA, which is the highest total since the program began. Republicans have voted to repeal it relentlessly since it was enacted and Trump repeatedly promised that a “beautiful” and “terrific” replacement that provides “insurance for everybody” will be coming “very soon.”

But a collection of serious intellectuals around here are much more concerned that "grave danger" is losing its gravitas.

Last edited:
More than 18 million people have coverage thanks to the ACA’s Medicaid expansion and more than 45 million are enrolled today in coverage related to the ACA, which is the highest total since the program began. Republicans have voted to repeal is relentlessly since it was enacted and Trump repeatedly promised that a “beautiful” and “terrific” replacement that provides “insurance for everybody” will be coming “very soon.”

But a collection of serious intellectuals around here are much more concerned that "grave danger" is losing its gravitas.
Thanks to who/what??

if our country doesn’t seem to ever want free health care for all, I’d rather see Obama care go away as health benefits easily are a greater contributor at my current job then my actual pay.

Why should people without a job or crappy health care continue to get better health care while I don’t receive any sort of compensation in my pay.

And before you start in with all the bashing about people having unfortunate situations, I too was faced with an unfortunate situation and that’s why I got a job where I am currently working.
Perhaps that "brand new, beautiful health care" plan that the GOP and Trump have been promising for years will be the solution to the challenges you and others face.

I review a lot of farm balance sheets. Formerly, medical bills were problematic for some farmers due mostly to sick kids. Don't see it anymore.

Myself, my daughter has serious health issues. Before OC, we were repeatedly canceled for various reasons. Doesn't happen anymore. Sometimes my wife or myself would get canceled and we were in great health. 5-10 165 and 5-4 125. Great markers. I was self employed.

I was a Republican (don't claim either party now). The R's had perfect opportunity to deal with healthcare which is a problem.

In 2010, a $1,000 premium factored for measured overall inflation would b e 1888.

token black school GIF by South Park

More than 18 million people have coverage thanks to the ACA’s Medicaid expansion and more than 45 million are enrolled today in coverage related to the ACA, which is the highest total since the program began. Republicans have voted to repeal is relentlessly since it was enacted and Trump repeatedly promised that a “beautiful” and “terrific” replacement that provides “insurance for everybody” will be coming “very soon.”

I think there needs to be WAY more focus on what the level of danger is. Once we lock that down we can focus on the actual issue at hand.

Exactly what I said. My job basically pays me by giving me good health insurance because I needed it and pays me pretty much nothing in money form.

If this country isn’t going to give free health care to everyone, I’d rather see it go away to make my job with better health benefits more rewarding.

If obumacare is going to stay around, places similar to the company I work for should have to start paying more of a salary. Otherwise what’s the point of working this job when I can not work or work limited hours and receive health care from our government and get paid the same.

What are you talking about?

Exactly what I said. My job basically pays me by giving me good health insurance because I needed it and pays me pretty much nothing in money form.

If this country isn’t going to give free health care to everyone, I’d rather see it go away to make my job with better health benefits more rewarding.

If obumacare is going to stay around, places similar to the company I work for should have to start paying more of a salary. Otherwise what’s the point of working this job when I can not work or work limited hours and receive health care from our government and get paid the same.

This is as nonsensical as it gets. Your company is likely paying a huge portion of your premiums. That is part of your compensation package. If your company didn't pay those on your behalf they might increase your salary or they might keep it for themselves. Either way you would have to get your own insurance and pay the entire premium yourself - on an individual rather than a group policy.

If you want to get paid more, bring more value.

LOL...you're still making zero sense. Your company doesn't give you good health care "because you need it". That's a perk of the job. And if your company is above a certain size, they HAVE to give you health care or pay a penalty. Maybe lay off the booze in the daytime.

Reactions: Moral
LOL...you're still making zero sense. Your company doesn't give you good health care "because you need it". That's a perk of the job. And if your company is above a certain size, they HAVE to give you health care or pay a penalty. Maybe lay off the booze in the daytime.
I did fudge up a bit on my last one but my first response was spot on.
My company doesn’t pay me in good heath care because I need it.
I chose to work where I do because of the good health care that I needed.
The pay is shit.
So that’s why I wouldn’t mind seeing Obamacare go away. It makes my good health care more valuable.
And before you say that’s selfish, I don’t see the government doing anything to give us that work where I do, any money to make life easier for us.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
The pay is shit.
So that’s why I wouldn’t mind seeing Obamacare go away. It makes my good health care more valuable.
And before you say that’s selfish, I don’t see the government doing anything to give us that work where I do, any money to make life easier for us.

This guy is basically saying they should get rid of the ACA to make himself feel better about the value of his healthcare in his low paying job.

The pay is shit.
Still not making any sense. You have a job that doesn't pay well, but it has good health insurance. How will your life be impacted positively (or negatively) if they end Obamacare? It would just make you feel better internally about your job?

Last edited:
This guy is basically saying they should get rid of the ACA to make himself feel better about the value of his healthcare in his low paying job.
That’s not basically what I’m saying. It’s exactly what I’m saying.
If they don’t want to give free healthcare to everyone then I vote to get ride of ACA or treat other programs the same.

Any one person making under $58,000 can qualify for Obamacare yet in order for someone to qualify for food stamps you have to make under $19,000.

You can still make pretty decent money and receive ACA yet you have to be broke ass poor to get any assistance on food. Something you need everyday to survive.

• Haha
Still not making any sense. You have a job that doesn't pay well, but it has good health insurance. How will your life be impacted positively (or negatively) if they end Obamacare? It would just make you feel better internally about your job?
Correct. I took the job for good health insurance. Now with Obamacare the insurance doesn’t mean as much.
If we keep Obamacare then it would be great to be paid better.
If we get rid of Obamacare, my good insurance has more meaning.
I’m not against Obamacare but as I mention in a different post. Why don’t we care as much about making food or clothing as affordable for people then. Someone can make almost 60,000 and get Obamacare. Yet if you are making 19,000 you can’t receive food stamps.
Why wouldn’t they have the income the same for these two items? Everyone truly needs food in this world yet we do nothing for them?

• Haha
That’s not basically what I’m saying. It’s exactly what I’m saying.
If they don’t want to give free healthcare to everyone then I vote to get ride of ACA or treat other programs the same.

Any one person making under $58,000 can qualify for Obamacare yet in order for someone to qualify for food stamps you have to make under $19,000.

You can still make pretty decent money and receive ACA yet you have to be broke ass poor to get any assistance on food. Something you need everyday to survive.

I can't say you don't have self awareness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT