ADVERTISEMENT

Crowd on Defense?

Coachryan98

Scout Team
Sep 13, 2019
For those of us who weren't there Saturday, how was our crowd when we were on defense? I'm sure there were moments when they were loud but were they consistently making noise so it was difficult for SDSU offense? Was told by a few people there they thought the crowd was not loud very often, lots of sitting down, and very much a sleepy 11 am kick crowd. Wondering what others' assessment is and what this Saturday will be like. First true road game start for ISU QB

W
For those of us who weren't there Saturday, how was our crowd when we were on defense? I'm sure there were moments when they were loud but were they consistently making noise so it was difficult for SDSU offense? Was told by a few people there they thought the crowd was not loud very often, lots of sitting down, and very much a sleepy 11 am kick crowd. Wondering what others' assessment is and what this Saturday will be like. First true road game start for ISU QB
The people who told you that are buffoons.

North end zone extremely loud. Lively crowd that cooled off a bit in the second half. A lot of that first-half energy turned into fans being pissed off and frustrated and wondering if we could/would actually lose this game.

This. Place was going nuts, but you can only stay excited for so long when you know the offense is coming and going to crap all over themselves.

It made for a really weird dynamic for me. I obviously wanted the defense to get stops and force a punt..... but the only excitement was the defense coming back onto the field with SDSU pinned deep once AGAIN.

This. Place was going nuts, but you can only stay excited for so long when you know the offense is coming and going to crap all over themselves.

It made for a really weird dynamic for me. I obviously wanted the defense to get stops and force a punt..... but the only excitement was the defense coming back onto the field with SDSU pinned deep once AGAIN.
Iowa fans when our offense takes the field:

5959_h.png

Lame ass troll.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

Honestly I'm less concerned about Dekkers first true road start than the fact that ISU has true freshman kickers who will be playing their first road games ever.

Dekkers played early at OU last year when Purdy got dinged up so he's seen time in a big road environment.

North end zone extremely loud. Lively crowd that cooled off a bit in the second half. A lot of that first-half energy turned into fans being pissed off and frustrated and wondering if we could/would actually lose this game.
And the first half sun and heat with no air movement didn't help the energy level.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Honestly I'm less concerned about Dekkers first true road start than the fact that ISU has true freshman kickers who will be playing their first road games ever.

Dekkers played early at OU last year when Purdy got dinged up so he's seen time in a big road environment.
Well I don't think they have fans about 5 feet behind their benches there. It will be relentless.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

We needed to get a TD and get over the hump. We thought we had one until the RB let that kid rip a ball out of his arms at the 4 yard line.

• Angry
Reactions: doughuddl2
Wait until you see a game at Kinnick. It makes the noise level in Norman seem like a library.

I've been to Kinnick. I was at Arrowhead for the last two AFC Championship games, I've been to Michigan, and a lot of good environments. Nothing matched what I saw in Norman but maybe things have changed I haven't been there for a while.

I was pleasantly shocked how loud it was for an 11am non-conference game in moderate heat. Waned a bit in the 3rd quarter as everyone started thinking about what objects to smash against the wall when they got home, but in order of contributions to the win it went: 1. Tory Taylor, 2. The defense, 3. The crowd.

Reactions: CookyMonster
I was pleasantly shocked how loud it was for an 11am non-conference game in moderate heat. Waned a bit in the 3rd quarter as everyone started thinking about what objects to smash against the wall when they got home, but in order of contributions to the win it went: 1. Tory Taylor, 2. The defense, 3. The crowd.
I was thinking about how to get a 50% refund.

you forgot to list the offense. leshon did make a TD saving tackle after sp’s int.

Hey there “coach”, did you watch the game on TV? It was pretty clear that the crowd was plenty loud.

Favorite part when SDSU was trying to pull Iowa offsides on 4th down late in the game. Then they jumped offsides. That was in the south end zone BTW.

I've been to Kinnick. I was at Arrowhead for the last two AFC Championship games, I've been to Michigan, and a lot of good environments. Nothing matched what I saw in Norman but maybe things have changed I haven't been there for a while.
I assume you were there to watch isu and you are saying isu/okla was the best atmosphere you have ever seen?

Ok, we will just see how your qb handles the noise level in Kinnick against that D and I’ll just leave it at that.

I assume you were there to watch isu and you are saying isu/okla was the best atmosphere you have ever seen?

No, my father in law grew up in a small town in Oklahoma and grew up as a big OU fan since childhood. I saw one ISU/OU game (one of the most thorough beatdowns I've ever seen, the 2002 Seneca game ISU lost 49-3) but I went to several games there, most recently OU/KU 2009.

Consistently it's been an amazing atmosphere. the 2002 ISU game stands out in my mind because the crowd never let up, at any point, in a 49-3 game that started off with a punt return for a touchdown for OU 45 seconds into the game. Crowd stood and cheered the entire game. I mean they never sat. People talked crap to us the whole time, and trust me this was a game that was over in the 1st quarter.

OU/KU was excellent in a game against another north team that was in the top 25 but not a real rival. Same kind of deal... People just kept going in a game that wasn't close. That was what really impressed me.

No, my father in law grew up in a small town in Oklahoma and grew up as a big OU fan since childhood. I saw one ISU/OU game (one of the most thorough beatdowns I've ever seen, the 2002 Seneca game ISU lost 49-3) but I went to several games there, most recently OU/KU 2009.

Consistently it's been an amazing atmosphere. the 2002 ISU game stands out in my mind because the crowd never let up, at any point, in a 49-3 game that started off with a punt return for a touchdown for OU 45 seconds into the game. Crowd stood and cheered the entire game. I mean they never sat. People talked crap to us the whole time, and trust me this was a game that was over in the 1st quarter.

OU/KU was excellent in a game against another north team that was in the top 25 but not a real rival. Same kind of deal... People just kept going in a game that wasn't close. That was what really impressed me.
So Hawk fans won't give you crap the whole game?? Guess we as fans need to step it up!

What percentage of the stadium will be ketchup & mustard? I suppose they get a few more tickets than other visiting teams. Need Iowa students to ratchet it up another level.

What percentage of the stadium will be ketchup & mustard? I suppose they get a few more tickets than other visiting teams. Need Iowa students to ratchet it up another level.
Depends on whether we allowed their band back in. If we did, I hope they get stuffed up top like they did the last time they were here.

Oklahoma road environment was average last year. This will be raucous compared to that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT