ADVERTISEMENT

Cubs 2016 Thread

He didn't pitch in 2015 and he's made a whole lot of money. I don't know if he'll take the kind of deal the Cubs would offer. Crow is different, he's younger and probably more desire to come back from injury. I have not heard Lee's name very much this offseason, so I wonder if he's even ready to try a comeback and may be waiting to look for a landing spot in mid-season, or he may even decide to retire.
Lots of injuries the last few years.

he want to pitch, he wants $8 million guaranteed, no team wants to offer that.

Reactions: lucas80
As an A's fan, every time I see that Addison Russell is now on the Cubs, it makes me weep like a little school girl. I love Billy Beane, and I understand why he did it, but goddamn...that trade hurt.
It's the position the Cubs are in now. Beane gave up one elite prospect and a solid prospect for two major league starters when his team was in the hunt for a WS run. You gotta give to get, and Beane rolled the dice. This season the Cubs will most likely be in the same position the A's were in two years ago and GM's around the league will be itching to get some of the elite prospects in the Cubs system.

It's the position the Cubs are in now. Beane gave up one elite prospect and a solid prospect for two major league starters when his team was in the hunt for a WS run. You gotta give to get, and Beane rolled the dice. This season the Cubs will most likely be in the same position the A's were in two years ago and GM's around the league will be itching to get some of the elite prospects in the Cubs system.
Cubs are mostly out of elite prospects - they are in Chicago now.

Depends on your definition of 'mostly'. Keith Law says 6 of the top 100 prospects are in the Cubs system.
15. Gleyber Torres SS
27. Willson Contreras, C
47. Ian Happ, OF/2B
69. Billy McKinney, OF
88. Albert Almora, OF
91. Dylan Cease, RHP

Nope. They have a lot to trade away. Keep in mind Jorge Soler probably gets dealt in 1-2 years in order to shift Heyward to RF full time. Bullet listed the six Keith Law had in his top 100, but that skips over guys like Eloy Jiminez who is going to be at South Bend this year. He has tremendous power potential. Contreras is at a premium position, so his inclusion on any deal is a plus for an opposing GM that has to be weighted on a potential return. And, the Cubs have a lot of guys in the 100-200 range of prospects that would really sweeten a potential deal. A lot of those trades are about volume and recharging a farm system.

Nice piece in Bleacher Nation today about how Kris Bryant has spent the offseason trying to flatten out his swing a little. He'll add more contact and more hits to the opposite field, and figures to cut down on the strikeouts.

Reactions: Bullethawk
Nope. They have a lot to trade away. Keep in mind Jorge Soler probably gets dealt in 1-2 years in order to shift Heyward to RF full time. Bullet listed the six Keith Law had in his top 100, but that skips over guys like Eloy Jiminez who is going to be at South Bend this year. He has tremendous power potential. Contreras is at a premium position, so his inclusion on any deal is a plus for an opposing GM that has to be weighted on a potential return. And, the Cubs have a lot of guys in the 100-200 range of prospects that would really sweeten a potential deal. A lot of those trades are about volume and recharging a farm system.
I guess we have a different definition of elite.

The Cubs were rated as having the 4th best farm system in MLB by ESPN. Braves are currently #1 after their fleecing of Arizona in the Shelby Miller trade.

The Cubs were rated as having the 4th best farm system in MLB by ESPN. Braves are currently #1 after their fleecing of Arizona in the Shelby Miller trade.

When you figure that the Cubs took their 4 best prospects out of the farm system and into the majors last year, and to still have the fourth best farm system says a lot about where the Cubs are at organizationally right now.

Reactions: MuscoHawk
Nice piece in Bleacher Nation today about how Kris Bryant has spent the offseason trying to flatten out his swing a little. He'll add more contact and more hits to the opposite field, and figures to cut down on the strikeouts.

This is why getting to the first games is so important, can't wait to see stuff like this.

Report: Cubs haven't closed the door on Austin Jackson
Written By Rob Ogden Posted: 02/22/2016, 10:55pm
According to a report from the Boston Globe, the Cubs – along with the Red Sox – are two teams that haven’t closed the door on signing the 29-year-old outfielder.

Jackson came to Chicago in a midseason trade last year and made an impact with the team, making 79 plate appearances in 29 games. He batted .267 last year in 136 games with the Cubs and Mariners.

Chicago appears to be set in the outfield with Kyle Schwarber in left, Jason Heyward in center and Jorge Soler in right, but a little bit more depth never hurts. As of right now, Chris Coghlan and Javier Baez figure to be the primary backups

But Schwarber will likely get some time at catcher and not everyone is sold on Heyward in center field, so Jackson (still an above-average defender who can play all three outfield positions) might be able to provide a little insurance.

The Indians are also reportedly interested in Jackson, who previously signed a one-year deal worth more than $7 million with Seattle back in 2015.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/1346151/report-cubs-havent-closed-door-austin-jackson

I would not be opposed to Jackson returning, but part of me thinks the team wants to save a few million and go with Szczur as a 5th outfielder (Or 4th depending on what you call Schwarber and Baez), and see where Almora fits in by August. If a veteran is needed than get one at the deadline.
If Jackson comes back to Chicago he has to understand he won't be starting much.

Bernstine was chatting on the Score today that the Cubs (Didn't say exactly who in the organization), spoke to Addison Russell in the offseason about his off the field habits. Meaning the team was unhappy with the hours that he was keeping. Whether that affected him much is unknown, but he did just marry the woman who he had a kid with last year.

Bernstine was chatting on the Score today that the Cubs (Didn't say exactly who in the organization), spoke to Addison Russell in the offseason about his off the field habits. Meaning the team was unhappy with the hours that he was keeping. Whether that affected him much is unknown, but he did just marry the woman who he had a kid with last year.

I follow him on Instagram. He definitely likes to have a good time.

It is hard to tell a guy to not have a good time, but he's 22 and has had two kids out of wedlock. He has a brilliant future ahead of him. He needs to keep his focus on getting better and then getting paid.

It is hard to tell a guy to not have a good time, but he's 22 and has had two kids out of wedlock. He has a brilliant future ahead of him. He needs to keep his focus on getting better and then getting paid.

Agreed I'm glad no one followed my life like that at 22.

SIAP- didn't see this posted. Dexter Fowler signed a 3 yr deal with the Orioles which means the Cubs get Baltimores 1st rd draft pick next year.

SIAP- didn't see this posted. Dexter Fowler signed a 3 yr deal with the Orioles which means the Cubs get Baltimores 1st rd draft pick next year.
Saw that. It's a decent deal for Fowler, and the Cubs get a pick back.

Nice to see the haters have found a new Starlin Castro to hate.

This is an interesting move. The Coghlan deal makes perfect sense now, but it does make me wonder what the plans are for the OF. This probably puts Heyward back in RF with Fowler in CF. Schwarber/Soler platoon in LF with Schwarber also getting time behind the plate? It'll be interesting to see how this stuff shakes out.

Who will be the one most likely traded mid season for a pitcher, Soler or Baez? Or just keep everyone.

Very interesting. He clearly signed to start so you have to think this moves Soler to the bench for the time being and playing LF when Schwarber catches. To me Soler needs to play everyday to get his bat going. He may be moved in a trade eventually but I highly doubt it is before the season started. Otherwise they would have likely kept Coughlin as a 4th OF.

Just to clear some things up here (even though its moot since Fowler is back). You don't get the teams first round pick. They lose their pick and the team that lost a free agent picks up a pick in Compensation Round A which is usually between picks 27-37 or so.

Just to clear some things up here (even though its moot since Fowler is back). You don't get the teams first round pick. They lose their pick and the team that lost a free agent picks up a pick in Compensation Round A which is usually between picks 27-37 or so.
Right. It was easier to type "1st rd pick" as opposed to what you wrote. :)

BTW, WTF happened with Fowler. He was gone, and everyone was reporting Baltimore.

Very interesting. He clearly signed to start so you have to think this moves Soler to the bench for the time being and playing LF when Schwarber catches. To me Soler needs to play everyday to get his bat going. He may be moved in a trade eventually but I highly doubt it is before the season started. Otherwise they would have likely kept Coughlin as a 4th OF.

It certainly helps them to open the season against the Angels:

Fowler CF
Heyward RF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant 3B
Schwarber DH
Soler LF
Montero C
Zobrist 2B
Russell SS

Maybe Russell moves up to the top and others slot down, but from Heyward through Zobrist, the order is R-L. I like it.

Right. It was easier to type "1st rd pick" as opposed to what you wrote. :)

BTW, WTF happened with Fowler. He was gone, and everyone was reporting Baltimore.

From what I read on twitter is Fowler wanted an option to opt out after a year and Baltimore wouldn't give it to him.

How do you figure that he clearly signed to start? I think he clearly signed to win. He knows the playing time situation in Chicago. He could have signed to start for 29 other teams though.

It certainly helps them to open the season against the Angels:

Fowler CF
Heyward RF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant 3B
Schwarber DH
Soler LF
Montero C
Zobrist 2B
Russell SS

Maybe Russell moves up to the top and others slot down, but from Heyward through Zobrist, the order is R-L. I like it.

Where's Baez? I've got to think they'll want him to get 300-400 PAs this year, if not more.

Where's Baez? I've got to think they'll want him to get 300-400 PAs this year, if not more.

Gah! I knew I was leaving someone out. Pretty indicative of good problems to have.

I think Baez will see a lot of action and it wouldn't surprise me if he plays 3-5 times per week, but maybe not consistently at any one position. This roster has Maddon's flexibility to the max.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT