ADVERTISEMENT

Cubs 2016 Thread

If the cubs win the world series the city of chicago will be totally destroyed overnight.

I wonder if they think they can find a trade partner in the next couple week for Szczur. He hasn't proving a ton but would be a decent 4th OF for some team so doubt he would clear waivers if that who they are thinking of sending down when Baez is healthy.

I wonder if they think they can find a trade partner in the next couple week for Szczur. He hasn't proving a ton but would be a decent 4th OF for some team so doubt he would clear waivers if that who they are thinking of sending down when Baez is healthy.
TLS has options, still. I think Sczcur got the spot because he earned it and is out of options. Sczcur doesn't get you much in a trade by himself. I like his defensive versatility and the fact that even big market teams need cheap guys that can be moved/cut if you have to make a move. Keep in mind, if you are staring Schwarber or Soler in LF every game you need someone to come in after the 7th inning if you are leading to play defense. I don't think Baez has proven he is that guy.

I agree he is valuable as a 7th inning guy in the OF but Maddon seems to love TLS and if he is sent down then Baez is your only back up in the infield. Don't think they will role with that.

You realize the point of spring training games isnt to win right?

PTWTG-450x244.png

If the cubs win the world series the city of chicago will be totally destroyed overnight.

Wasn't destroyed when the cubs fans jumped on board the white sox train. But, not something we'll ever have to see.

This season will be fun to watch, almost as good as 2003. Lucy, football.

I believe you have posted this before that "Cubs fans jumped on the White Sox bandwagon" and I challenge it again. I have been a cubs fan for 25 years and I know zero fans that have ever cheered for the White Sox. In fact, after going to a couple cubs games in old Comiskey, I know many that absolutely can't stand them.

Neat to see that Dylan Cease is hitting 98 consistently this Spring.
As far as the roster, as I understand it Baez will start on the DL. When he comes back I think TLS goes down, not Sczcur.

I get that TLS has a few options left but I just don't see Maddon wanting to have Baez as his only infield backup. My guess is that Sczcur will be sent down and they hope he clears waivers. A week into the season, most teams should be happy about their 25 so he may clear. Certainly possible that i am wrong and TLS or a bp pitcher is sent down but Scczur is my best guess.

I get that TLS has a few options left but I just don't see Maddon wanting to have Baez as his only infield backup. My guess is that Sczcur will be sent down and they hope he clears waivers. A week into the season, most teams should be happy about their 25 so he may clear. Certainly possible that i am wrong and TLS or a bp pitcher is sent down but Scczur is my best guess.

I think Szczur will almost certainly be claimed but is not a big loss. John Andreoli is basically a Szczur replacement with slightly less defense and slightly better bat and speed.

I believe you have posted this before that "Cubs fans jumped on the White Sox bandwagon" and I challenge it again. I have been a cubs fan for 25 years and I know zero fans that have ever cheered for the White Sox. In fact, after going to a couple cubs games in old Comiskey, I know many that absolutely can't stand them.

That is because you are full of shit and know it.

Wonder if there is a way to look up attendance from 2003. Or, I guess you'll just argue that more White Sox fans showed up. What do you think the ratio of Cubs to White Sox fans generally is in Chicago?

But don't worry, you can keep up your bs stance, because we both know there isn't a way to "prove" bandwagonage of fans.

I'm not contending that Cubs can't stand White Sox fans, they couldn't and they still can't. Except when they won, and they lubed each other up.

Soler has looked crappy in left field. Yes, it is Spring Training, but it will be difficult to field a platoon that has to below average left fielders. Soler has shown a poor ability to read fly balls and is lackadaisical.
Watching todays game and Soler got picked off of first base on a deep fly to center. Ian Desmond caught a ball at the wall in just about dead center and threw out Soler at first before he could return to the bag. Just terrible.

Let's be honest, neither Soler or Schwarber is on the team because of their outfield ability.

That is because you are full of shit and know it.

Wonder if there is a way to look up attendance from 2003. Or, I guess you'll just argue that more White Sox fans showed up. What do you think the ratio of Cubs to White Sox fans generally is in Chicago?

But don't worry, you can keep up your bs stance, because we both know there isn't a way to "prove" bandwagonage of fans.

I'm not contending that Cubs can't stand White Sox fans, they couldn't and they still can't. Except when they won, and they lubed each other up.

Of course there are bandwagon fans that showed up to the stadium because the team was good - doesn't mean they team allegiance though. There are a ton of fans that just don't go when the team sucks. It isn't my stance but it is reality in every sport. By your logic, there are a Yankee fans that became Mets fans last year I suppose. Stupid logic is stupid logic.

Of course there are bandwagon fans that showed up to the stadium because the team was good - doesn't mean they team allegiance though. There are a ton of fans that just don't go when the team sucks. It isn't my stance but it is reality in every sport. By your logic, there are a Yankee fans that became Mets fans last year I suppose. Stupid logic is stupid logic.

Well considering you are disputing the very thing you just posted, which one has stupid logic. There were thousands upon thousands of white-sox-wearing cubs fans running the streets for that world series.

Hell, I don't blame them wanting some sort of success.

We did the same thing last year in KC, except we did it for our own team.

I know exactly zero Cubs fans that would root for the White Sox. I'd root for the friggin' Cardinals before the White Sox. At least it's still baseball and not that travesty they play in the American League.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I know exactly zero Cubs fans that would root for the White Sox. I'd root for the friggin' Cardinals before the White Sox. At least it's still baseball and not that travesty they play in the American League.
I don't understand the cross town logic. I don't have any Cubs fans friends who root for the White Sox. Most of my Cubs fans friends won't even go the extra 6 miles to see a Sox game. It's ingrained in Chicago culture to not root for the "other team". Me, I'd go see an MLB game on the South Side if it was a good match up. My friends, no. Steve Stone was talking to his new broadcast partner yesterday and was pining about all the great restaurants within walking distance of the Cell. There's like two. You have an expressway to the East, and a railroad switching yard to the West. Great atmosphere, Stony. Get in and GTFO when you see a game at the Cell.

Well considering you are disputing the very thing you just posted, which one has stupid logic. There were thousands upon thousands of white-sox-wearing cubs fans running the streets for that world series.

Hell, I don't blame them wanting some sort of success.

We did the same thing last year in KC, except we did it for our own team.
Huh? You are saying thousands of Cubs fans switched fan bases. All i am saying is of course there are "bandwagon" fans that only go to the stadium when the team is winning. Where exactly did I say any of those fans were Cubs fans earlier in the year or the year before? What did you stop and interview them? IMO, one of the definition of a bandwagon fan is only cheering and supporting your team when they are doing good. I don't know anyone who switches allegiances simply because a cross town rival is doing good. That would be like a Hawkeye fan buying Cyclone gear and switching their favorite team if ISU ever made a New Years day bowl.

The Cubs have no leverage, I wouldn't expect to get anything more than a low A, limited upside prospect for him. He's just a guy and teams know he will probably be available on waivers shortly.

The Cubs picked up Sam Fuld for the dreaded PTBNL today. That's a mildly interesting development. He's on the DL right now, but he has a history with Maddon, so maybe he does fill out the reserve outfielder spot at some point in time.

Huh? You are saying thousands of Cubs fans switched fan bases. All i am saying is of course there are "bandwagon" fans that only go to the stadium when the team is winning. Where exactly did I say any of those fans were Cubs fans earlier in the year or the year before? What did you stop and interview them? IMO, one of the definition of a bandwagon fan is only cheering and supporting your team when they are doing good. I don't know anyone who switches allegiances simply because a cross town rival is doing good. That would be like a Hawkeye fan buying Cyclone gear and switching their favorite team if ISU ever made a New Years day bowl.
I suspect theiowahawk is a cardinals fan

The Cubs picked up Sam Fuld for the dreaded PTBNL today. That's a mildly interesting development. He's on the DL right now, but he has a history with Maddon, so maybe he does fill out the reserve outfielder spot at some point in time.
Wasn't that an April fools prank by a writer?

Wasn't that an April fools prank by a writer?
Well, LOL at me, then. I had just skimmed it and thought it was the kind of move Theo and Jed would make. They shuttle guys on and off the 40 man on a daily basis it seems.

Stretching my legs feels good to be back in OT.

I am just going to go ahead and proactively start a Cubs 2016 thread, more than half the Cubs have already reported to Spring Training with lots and lots of Spring Training pictures hitting the web. Will save the mess of no longer having a Pro Sports Board and six million Cubs threads.

To kick it off, my predictions for 2016 Opening Day lineup

1. Ben Zobrist - 2B
2. Jason Heyward - CF
3. Kris Bryant - 3B
4. Anthony Rizzo - 1B
5. Jorge Soler - RF
6. Kyle Schwarber - DH
7. Miguel Montero - C
8. Addison Russell - SS
9. Chris Coghlan - LF

Also, I have been proactively lobbying on Twitter for the Cubs Spring Training motto to be "Suck It Cardinals"
You were close.
1. Fowler
2. Heyward
3. Zobrist
4. Rizzo
5. Bryant
6. Schwarber (LF)
7. Soler (DH)
8. Montero
9. Russell
That is a damn good line up.

Reactions: dgordo and IACub
Murderer's Row. What other team would have Schwarber batting 6?
Not many. This is a line up that has the capability of doing a lot of damage. A very balanced line up with a lot of guys that get on base, and a lot of guys that can hit it out of the park.
I am giddy with anticipation.

This lineup is just relentless. It is going to be a fun year boys.

Why? I don't expect them to win the WS, I just simply enjoy that Theo, Jed, Jason, and Joe have placed the Cubs in the mix to win one. That's all you can ask for. Build a good roster and let the players go out and try and win it.

I expect an undefeated season.

Reactions: curt26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT