ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5/Rotation given CURRENT Roster? Is SCHEDULE Toughest in History? IOWA #16(USA Today)

J Bo
Luke
Ryan
CJ
Joe

I does look like Jbo, CJ, Weezy & Garza might be locks now.

Kriener as the 5th starter; that would be interesting; I do think he has great skills; it will be interesting to see which of Kriener/Pemsl/Nunge starts

right now do you see anyone Fran can afford to redshirt? can we afford to be under 10 scholarship players as far as players available? i think that would be too risky because injuries will likely happen

I honestly think Fran has to find someone from the transfer portal; only problem is that player might want to see major minutes and Fran might not (probably doe not) have that for him

1- JBo / Troussaint
2- Conner / Fredrick
3- JW / PMac
4- Kriener / Nunge / Till
5- Garza / Pemsel

What we don't know is which of the newcomers can contribute right out of the box. JBo, Joe W., and Garza will start for sure. The other 2 spots are very interesting. Losing 2 starters is not a good thing, but if the newcomers can contribute we can be real good.
I like your 11 man depth chart (10 scholarship players plus Till, a walk on).

I agree that 3 starters are locks:

J Bo
Weezy
Garza

Leistikow of HawkCentral/the Des Moines Register seems to think CJ will be the 2 based on what he has heard.

So the only starter to figure out is the 4; do you want Nunge, Pemsl, or Kriener? All bring something to the table.

My guess is
C. McCaffery
Bohannon
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

It would really help if Iowa could land a decent grad transfer guard. Don't know if they are in on anybody currently but it would certainly help. Otherwise I don't see them making the tournament.
interesting you have CMac starting.

USA Today had them at #16 in the country before the Moss announcement.

Do we really go from #16 in the country to out of the Big Dance? Hope not!

I want to see:
PG Joe T
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Nunge
C Garza

Assuming it will be:
PG McCaffery
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Pemsl
C Garza
I had not thought about Connor starting at PG; that would be an interesting starting 5.

I hope he gets some shots up this summer, especially since he will be playing baseball in New York over the summer.

- 4 African-Americans on scholarship last year
- 1 redshirted and 3 transferred or declared early without clear path to NBA

Is it just some sort of weird coincidence that Iowa football and Iowa basketball are the whitest P5 teams in the country, year in and year out?

Last edited:
Sure don't see Joey T red shirting. I do see C McC and Jordan playing a kind poor man's Gail Goodrich/Jerry West back court. If you've got 'em its great to play two guards with point guard skills, particularly if one really is a great shooter. AC and Mikey G were like that to a certain extent. C McC just has to become a good defender and enough of a shooting threat to keep the defense near him.
yeah, based on what is out there on highlight tapes, JoeT looks too good to sit, especially what he does offensively

how is he defensively? can he stay in front of the guy he's guarding? I hope so!

Will JoeT start at PG where JBo can move to the 2? Will be interesting to see.

Or is CJFredrick as good as rumored where JBo starts at PG and CJF starts at the 2, with JoeT coming off the bench for energy?

Will JoeT eat into Connor's minutes?

JoeT looks like a tough kid who won't back down; Iowa needs that

i hope Connor makes time/has time to get shots up in the offseason; he is playing baseball for Iowa now & once the Iowa baseball season is over he will head to New York to play baseball thru early August

- 4 African-Americans on scholarship last year
- 1 redshirted and 3 transferred or declared early without clear path to NBA

Is it just some sort of weird coincidence that Iowa football and Iowa basketball are the whitest P5 teams in the country, year in and year out?
Who redshirted?

I stand corrected, but that's besides the point that nobody seems to want to address.
You are trying to make this about race. I don't believe these kids are leaving because of race issues, at least not with the staff or the team. They all have their reasons, for sure, but not what you are pushing. Think about it

You are trying to make this about race. I don't believe these kids are leaving because of race issues, at least not with the staff or the team. They all have their reasons, for sure, but not what you are pushing. Think about it

I'm not pushing that they left because of race issues, but it certainly seems odd to me that 3 AA scholarship players out of the 4 decided to hightail it out of here before their eligibility was up.

What I'm asking is why Iowa's football and basketball team consistently carry a disproportionate amount of white kids compared to every P5 school in the nation. I believe there is premeditation behind the racial makeups of both sport's rosters, particularly in football. If you guys don't agree, that's fine. Just one man's opinion.

I'm not pushing that they left because of race issues, but it certainly seems odd to me that 3 AA scholarship players out of the 4 decided to hightail it out of here before their eligibility was up.

What I'm asking is why Iowa's football and basketball team consistently carry a disproportionate amount of white kids compared to every P5 school in the nation. I believe there is premeditation behind the racial makeups of both sport's rosters, particularly in football. If you guys don't agree, that's fine. Just one man's opinion.

The football team isn't any whiter than say Wisconsin or Northwestern. You have to look at where Iowa is getting the majority of its players from. The midwest and especially Iowa. If the University was in say Alabama, the makeup of the roster would look a lot different.

Same with the basketball team. look at the amount of Iowans on it this past year. Bohannon, Baer, Wieskamp, Kriener, Connor, the walk ons.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I agree with you.

Of the 4 departures:
1) Baer graduated

2) Cook wants to be paid; he wanted to be gone last year

3) Dailey was a back up; but the Dolph comments probably did not help

4) Moss is the only head scratcher; he is a 3 year starter; what could he be looking for that he already does not have?

I believe I read where Leistikow had JBo at the 1. Unsure though how it will play out, especially with CJ playing. Regardless, Fran has some good options.
Chad thinks CFJ will start based on what he's heard.

So that would mean JBo, CJF, Weezy and Garza penciled in as starters.

So the only question is who starts in place of Cook? Pemsl, Kriener or Nunge?

Its gonna be an interesting jig saw puzzle for me...I mean, for Fran to figure out.

If we don't add a grad transfer (who can play immediately) in the spring/summer, I don't see how anyone can redshirt because right now we are down to 10 scholarship players plus Till (would be needed, like last year, for a few minutes when anyone gets in foul trouble).

Reactions: Hawksfor3
How about a supportive fan base?

McC has been Moss's biggest cheerleader since he stepped on campus.

If Moss (or any player for that matter) acted like Fran on the court, all of you would be begging for him to transfer. Fran's antics are a disgrace and I'm willing to bet that his outbursts are not limited to just refs. Some people don't like to be coached like that.

Last edited:
If Moss (or any player for that matter) acted like Fran on the court, all of you would be begging for him to transfer. Fran's antics are a disgrace and I'm willing to bet that his outbursts are not limited to just refs. Some people don't like to be coached like that.
McC is not all that different from most D1 coaches. I think you are pushing it a little on this one.

My starting 5 and rotations next season:

Bohannon
C Mccaffery
Wieskamp
Pemsl
Garza

Guards who rotate in - Toussaint, Fredrick
Wing - P Mccaffery
Forwards/Centers - Kriener, Nunge, Till

That is a thin rotation, but IF there are no complications, it could work very well. Iowa has enough depth inside with Garza, Pemsl, Kriener, and Nunge where hopefully they can avoid foul trouble. Till is strictly a last ditch option in B1G games, at least based on what I have seen to date.
I am more worried about shooting guard and wing depth. A lot of unproven players there that will be heavily depended on. One thing is for certain - all scholarship players will see floor time.

Reactions: Franisdaman
My starting 5 and rotations next season:

Bohannon
C Mccaffery
Wieskamp
Pemsl
Garza

Guards who rotate in - Toussaint, Fredrick
Wing - P Mccaffery
Forwards/Centers - Kriener, Nunge, Till

That is a thin rotation, but IF there are no complications, it could work very well. Iowa has enough depth inside with Garza, Pemsl, Kriener, and Nunge where hopefully they can avoid foul trouble. Till is strictly a last ditch option in B1G games, at least based on what I have seen to date.
I am more worried about shooting guard and wing depth. A lot of unproven players there that will be heavily depended on. One thing is for certain - all scholarship players will see floor time.
Are we still a top 20 team?

Can we finish in the top 5 of the B1G, given the schedule?

JoBo
CJF
Weezy
Luka
Pemsl, Kriener, Nunge

Conner first guard off bench with two of the three above and that 8 def finishes top 6 in the league. Offense goes through Luka and Joe. JoBo and CJF on the 3 line.

Last edited:
Nick Baer played 19 minutes a game last season. Good discussion....I look at it from this perspective. Baer was a utility knife..played some Wing and some PF...he was clearly a spark off of the bench and I would guess that his numbers were usually pretty efficient. I also agree with what you said about Joe W above (focal point) and I think that equates to him playing most of the minutes at the 3 but possibly some 2 if the game or the situation calls for it. So, I also think Patrick could be a spark off of the bench..I think he could be a decent defender at the 3 even as a freshman.

I don't know if Patrick will get 19 minutes...but I again agree with you, he will be crucial..I think he will play an important role next year and part of that is filling the role that Baer filled. Baer's PF minutes I am guessing will be filled by the 2 guys at the PF position.

I think it's important to remember that before Moss' departure, USA Today pegged Iowa as the #16 team in the country.

USA Today knew Baer was gone; they knew Cook was very likely gone, too.

Will the Moss loss have that big of an impact? Will Iowa plummet in the rankings by losing Moss?

It's early but from what I have heard, CJ Fredrick is ready to step in.

We have 10 on scholarship plus Till, who played when a big got in foul trouble.

Everyone complains when the rotation is too big; with the current 11 man roster, there should not be many complaints when Fran is forced to use a shorter rotation.

Reactions: BBHawk
I think the PF spot will go to whomever improved the most out of Kriener, Pemsl or Nunge. In my mind they were pretty equal - each had a different thing to add.

I think the PF spot will go to whomever improved the most out of Kriener, Pemsl or Nunge. In my mind they were pretty equal - each had a different thing to add.
I am excited to see what Nunge looks like after a red shirt season.

I am also excited to see how Pemsl looks coming off surgery.

It could be a fun mix of Nunge/Pemsl/Kreiner/Garza playing the 4/5.

Reactions: Hawk-Fran1
May 15, 2019 UPDATE:

The 2019-2020 Roster:

On May 2, Moss
announced he was transferring.

Tyler Cook is skipping his senior year to pursue his NBA dreams.

On May 15, Riley Till was put on scholarship.

BEFORE THE MOSS TRANSFER & WHEN I WAS STILL HOPING COOK WOULD COME BACK, I was thinking preseason that we were looking at a top 10 team. Our 13 man (minus Dailey but including Cook and Moss) scholarship roster WAS loaded with talent and experience. Could we stay in the top 10 WAS the question.

We are now down to 11 on scholarship; how many of the 2 remaining scholarships will Fran try to fill?

Current Roster (11 currently on scholarship; 2 scholarships available):

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'4" SG CJ Fredrick (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided CJ would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

6'6" SF Patrick McCaffery (****)

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

2022 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'5" SG Joe Wieskamp (****)

6'5" SG Connor McCaffery (****; announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure; however, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship).

6'9" F Jack Nunge (***); in early Nov, 2018, was decided Jack would redshirt the 2018-2019 season

2021 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'10" C Luke Garza (****)

6'8" SF Cordell Pemsl (***); had surgery on his knee Dec 18, 2018, which caused him to miss the remainder of the 2018-2019 season; was scheduled to graduate in 2020; since he played in just two games in the 2018-2019 season (logging a total of just 31 minutes), he will be granted a medical redshirt for an additional year.

6'6" Riley Till (redshirted in 2016-2017). On May 15, 2019, was put on scholarship.

2020 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'9" PF Ryan Kriener (***)

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***)

--------------------------------
Notable Walk on players:

2021 (when scheduled to graduate): 1 player

6'2" Guard Austin Ash
--------------------------------

The 2019-2020 Schedule:

Read these 2 tweets. Note that Fran says the schedule will be toughest ever in the history of Iowa basketball. Do you agree?

Looks like this is our 11 game nonconference schedule:

1. S. Illinois
2. Prelim Las Vegas Invite home game
3. Prelim Las Vegas Invite home game
4. Creighton, Las Vegas Invite
5. SD State or Texas Tech, Las Vegas Invite
6. Iowa State
7. Oral Roberts
8. Cincinnati (played in Chicago)
9. Kennesaw St
10. B1G / ACC Challenge game
11. Big East team (part of Gavitt Games)

And here is our 20 GAME CONFERENCE SCHEDULE:

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW
D4YI3DdWwAA6ol-.jpg

Iowa is #16 in the Country heading into 2019-2020, per USA Today.

Here's their take:

16. Iowa (23-12). There's a strong possibility leading scorer Tyler Cook turns pro, but coach Fran McCaffery has enough coming back to contend for a Big Ten title. Forward Luka Garza will be back and sharpshooter Jordan Bohannon is among a group of elite guards returning.

LINK: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ollege-basketball-top-25-rankings/3381228002/

Iowa is #17 heading into 2019-2020, per CBS Sports

Here's their take:

IOWA

Coach: Fran McCaffery

2018-19 record: 23-12

Notable players definitely gone: Nicolas Baer

Other expected departures: Tyler Cook

Notable players expected to return:
Jordan Bohannon ,
Luka Garza ,
Ryan Kriener ,
Connor McCaffery ,
Isaiah Moss ,
Joe Wieskamp ,
Jack Nunge ,

Cordell Pemsl

Expected additions: Patrick McCaffery, Joe Toussaint

LINK to their Top 25 & 1:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...never-too-early-top-25-and-1-for-next-season/

Iowa is #21 heading into 2019-2020, per Sporting News

Here's their take:

#21: Iowa Hawkeyes

2018-19 record and finish:

23-12, NCAA second round

Key players:

PG Jordan Bohannon,
C Luka Garza,
SG Joe Wieskamp,
SG Isaiah Moss,
G Connor McCaffery,
C Ryan Kriener,
PF Cordell Pemsl

Top-100 recruits:

SF Pat McCaffery (247Sports No. 71)

Key decisions:

PF Tyler Cook is not a projected first-round pick, but did go through the early entry process in 2018.

LINK to the ENTIRE Top 25: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...top-25-for-2019-20/1oplcsov8ioxf18ydgei068fyp

Last edited:
Chad thinks CFJ will start based on what he's heard.

So that would mean JBo, CJF, Weezy and Garza penciled in as starters.

So the only question is who starts in place of Cook? Pemsl, Kriener or Nunge?

Its gonna be an interesting jig saw puzzle for me...I mean, for Fran to figure out.

If we don't add a grad transfer (who can play immediately) in the spring/summer, I don't see how anyone can redshirt because right now we are down to 10 scholarship players plus Till (would be needed, like last year, for a few minutes when anyone gets in foul trouble).
Nunge and Garza together, Pemsl and RK together. That gives two sets of guys with low post ability and a reasonable shooter.
CJ, Weez and Jordan raining from outside.
Weez can drive so if CJ can drive as well in occasions they will be tough.
If Joe has the D people talk about it will be fun to see him torment the PG while giving Jordan a blow. Tenderize the opponent a bit for him. CM can backup either spot and if he preps a bit on shooting there wont be a drop off.

Reactions: Franisdaman
McC is not all that different from most D1 coaches. I think you are pushing it a little on this one.

He's pushing it more than a little. I have known plenty of kids, including myself back in the day, that had high school coaches with many more outbursts than Fran. Any kid that hasn't experienced it to some extent is living a charmed (and sheltered) life.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT