ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Nationals Information Article

By Jim Carlson | Special to PennLive

The blood, sweat and — perhaps -- fears that went into planning the 2020 NCAA Wrestling Championships will be rewarded before the first whistle resonates through U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on March 19. Before any points are scored in the three-day, six-session marquee event that caps the college wrestling season, a record will not just be broken but obliterated.

NCAA officials already have learned – at more than three months out -- that if they hold the sport’s most colossal function in a professional football stadium, people will come. How many remains to be seen, but it’s more than a safe assumption to think that the six-session record of 113,743 set in Cleveland in 2018 will fall during the Friday morning quarterfinal round, and the single-session mark of 19,776 will tumble before the opening pigtail bouts.

While colleges such as Penn State and other wrestling powers have requested more tickets each year and yet received fewer each time, the NCAA already has sold about 18,000 tickets to the general public. Anthony Holman, NCAA Managing Director of Championships and Alliance, said, typically, only 1,000 to 1,500 tickets are available to public buyers.

Holman said a total figure of tickets sold could number 43,000 to 44,000. “To get to that 43/44,000 number, they're taking the 18,000 – roughly -- that we sold to the general public, and then the 20-plus thousand that are being held for institution allotments and then another 2,300 or so that are part of suites (144 of them) that are also already sold out,” Holman said.

“That number is accurate with the assumption and understanding that the institutions who have historically requested 300 times the number of tickets we've had available, is the assumption that they take all of the tickets that are made available to them. Yeah, we’ll be at that 43 number for sure.”

Holman said the committee did its homework while looking for the 2020 championship location.

“We were coming off of six consecutive years of sellouts and venues that were between 15,000 to 18,000, and the demand for tickets continued to grow,” he said. “We were historically cutting the number of tickets that were requested by our institutions by 40 and 50%. So, we thought that capacity was certainly something that was important to provide an opportunity to give folks an opportunity to celebrate this wonderful championship.”

Holman said recent locations such as Pittsburgh, Cleveland, St. Louis and New York City have been “nice,” but floor space and competition space as well as space for student-athletes to lounge between competitions has been lacking. Huge NFL locker rooms, as Holman explained it, will help remedy that.

An advantage for the NCAA wrestling administrators leading up to this season’s championships March 19-21, 2020 was that U.S. Bank Stadium was the site of the 2019 NCAA Basketball Championships. Attendance in the 66,655-seat stadium was 72,711 for the semifinals April 6 and 72,062 for the finals April 8.

No one expects any individual wrestling session to come close to that, but tickets sold for six wrestling sessions could outnumber basketball’s two sessions by well over 100,000. Lessons learned, Holman said, aside from providing more opportunities for fans to attend, are the in-venue amenities such as larger video boards and ribbon boards, a larger concourse, more entry points, more restrooms and more points of sale for concessions.

“That's certainly a great takeaway that we learned from men's basketball,” Holman said. “The other part that we learned from in basketball was as you grow your championship and the concerns around safety and security increase, giving yourself more space for ingress/egress is absolutely a great thing around our security plans and being in U.S. Bank Stadium allows us to do that.”

Other numbers Holman had in his head is that, annually, the wrestling championship has 85 to 90% repeat attendees, and in some years, it’s reached 93%.

“It's been it's been a focused and concentrated effort in places where we’ve gone -- to New York, for example -- where we had 22% first-time attendees there. We're hoping to see that number increase even greater in Minnesota, and that's intentional,” Holman said.

“We certainly love and appreciate our are avid fans, but we want to introduce the sport in this tremendous championship to the next generation of fans as well and being in Minnesota will give us that opportunity to do that.”

Holman said coaches he’s spoken with are excited about the venue as well. “They recognize that this is the greatest wrestling championship in the world,” he said. “We've been to the Olympics, we’ve been to World Championships, and no other championship is being conducted in venues this size at this number of attendees, this amount of broadcast and media coverage.

“Our coaches recognize that, they understand that and they appreciate it; they want to celebrate it and they want others to be a part of this celebration of collegiate wrestling. I think they've really been embracing it.”

The eight mats that are used will be centered in the middle of the playing field inside the stadium, Holman said, even though that wasn’t the original plan.

“We were thinking the East end zone is how we had it set up,” he said. “But what we realized quickly was, here we are having a chance to have over 20,000 100-level seats, but we're going to take 14,000 of them or 12,000 of them offline, if we move it all the way to one end.

“By moving the mats to the center and spreading them out, we get to take advantage of all those 100-level seats and very similar to what you have in an arena.”

Sites for the 2021 and 2022 championships are St. Louis and Detroit, respectively. The bid process for 2023 and beyond opened in August and will close in mid-February, Holman said. Future sites won’t be announced until late summer.

“Does it mean if this is successful, that we will continue to go to stadiums? I don't know if we're married to that necessarily,” Holman said. “I think our committee will continue to try and identify facilities, locations, other things that are consistent with the strategic plan, which was big on bringing in the next generation of fans, providing ample space for our student-athletes, providing additional capacity for our fans and our institutions.

“I think, again, no promises, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are other opportunities around stadiums going forward should this be successful,” he said.

Last edited:
I appreciate their optimism, but i have to believe a decent portion of the people buying the 18k seats sold to the public will also be awarded tickets via their team allotment.

Will be interesting if there ends up being super cheap seats after people who double dipped can’t unload them.

I like it and I like the fact that he states it will not be the norm but used additionaly to and rotating from Stadiums back to arenas.
The athletes having a better experience with more room is one of the obvious benefits and also using the megatron screens will help with sight lines and distance.
Not that I am a Cowboy fan but that stadium would be awesome to have the NCAAs with their giant screen.

Reactions: HawkMD
Who had it in the south end. Really no bad seats at Kinnick that day. There will be A LOT of seats in MN that will be 70-100 yards from the far mats. Not good viewing. I for one wish they were more concerned about our views rather than setting a record.
Agreed. I've been to a Final Four in a Stadium, not my first choice. It was fun and I won some dough on the games, pools, etc. to pay for the experience, but once was enough ( until the Hawks reach another one!;)).

I don't have to fly, don't have to rent a Hotel, and we've got 8 in the middle of the Stadium, but 2nd deck I think. Once might be enough for this too.

Reactions: jvclark
Who had it in the south end. Really no bad seats at Kinnick that day. There will be A LOT of seats in MN that will be 70-100 yards from the far mats. Not good viewing. I for one wish they were more concerned about our views rather than setting a record.

Maybe I am missing something, but he way that the mats were laid out in the illustration I saw wasn't too bad. They weren't in a straight line but built around the center. Those of you fans that were at the UNI-Dome in '97, how was it? I know its small potatoes next to US Bank Stadium, but I doubt we will be seeing people sitting down by the end zones in Minnesota anyways.

Maybe I am missing something, but he way that the mats were laid out in the illustration I saw wasn't too bad. They weren't in a straight line but built around the center. Those of you fans that were at the UNI-Dome in '97, how was it? I know its small potatoes next to US Bank Stadium, but I doubt we will be seeing people sitting down by the end zones in Minnesota anyways.
The UNI Dome was fine for me, but your talking an entirely different dynamic. The UNI Dome is "quaint", U.S. Bank is not. Meaning you're going to be sitting a LOT further away from the mats linear distance wise. It will definitely be different, middle of the Stadium or not.

Reactions: jvclark
Will be interesting how this plays out. They raised the prices from $265 to $295 to have in a venue with 4x capacity with much worse sight lines. Many ppl bought tix on the pre-sale last March as well so I don’t agree with Holmans optimism of the schools selling their allotment as many regular fans have their tickets already.

I sat towards the top of section V2 for the final 4 and it is much farther away than it appears on a map. They opened the club level above that section to the public unlike Vikings games and it was more crowded than the Vatican Museum.

IMO the only seats worth the money will be the private club level seats in sections F1-F5 and V6-V10. Those are the all inclusive club seats for Vikings games. They won’t be all inclusive for the tournament but the club level should be exclusive to only the ticket holders in those sections unlike the V1-V5 sections.

The UNI Dome was fine for me, but your talking an entirely different dynamic. The UNI Dome is "quaint", U.S. Bank is not. Meaning you're going to be sitting a LOT further away from the mats linear distance wise. It will definitely be different, middle of the Stadium or not.
Absolutely.

but those dummies stuck the mat in the end zone :eek:
I think they were just trying to help the Okies get to the edge of the stadium knowing that they always seem to like to find the edges of the mats most of the time. Good old Iowa hospitality

Last edited:
Reactions: bman546
Quick question from someone who has never attended the NCAAs: Where are single session tickets being sold besides on the secondary market? Or are they not being sold yet? I can only do Sessions IV and V the final day.

There is absolutely no chance that there are 43k people at each session.
Quick question from someone who has never attended the NCAAs: Where are single session tickets being sold besides on the secondary market? Or are they not being sold yet? I can only do Sessions IV and V the final day.
There is no single session tickets available except from scalpers or people with extra tickets. Our group almost always had extra tickets for most sessions. This year there will be no problem getting seats at the event. There probably will be a problem getting good seats for everyone.

There is no single session tickets available except from scalpers or people with extra tickets. Our group almost always had extra tickets for most sessions. This year there will be no problem getting seats at the event. There probably will be a problem getting good seats for everyone.
Thank you for the help! Did they not sell individual session tickets or did they just sell out quickly?

Thank you for the help! Did they not sell individual session tickets or did they just sell out quickly?
Most larger/popular multi-day sporting events don't offer 1 session tickets and haven't for a long time if ever to my knowledge, at least the ones I've been to as I recall ( NCAA's & Big Ten Wrestling, U.S Open Golf, Ryder Cup, Final Four, PGA Championship, etc.). You want to go, you buy them all and parcel out what you don't need if you're so inclined. It's the money and the hassle, which equates to more money for the seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Where do you find information on the individual school allotments? Location, availability, etc. I imagine they are sold already.?

At one time they sold Session 5 and Session 6 tickets individually because there are more seats available with fewer mats on the floor. They always were pretty pricey. I never paid much attention because I've always bought all-session tickets. They might have stopped that practice somewhere along the way. They probably give/sell them to donors or corporations these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT