ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball Weekly Chat (5/22)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004

Terpitude: I've got Maryland (2 seed), Indiana (3 seed) and Iowa (3 seed) making the NCAA Tournament. But what if a team like Michigan State wins the B1G Tournament? Would Iowa find itself like Rutgers in 2022?

Aaron Fitt: Agree with your three teams, and think Indiana could even be a 2-seed with that strong RPI (No. 27). All three of those teams look like very secure at-large teams, so if a different team wins the conference tournament, I think the Big Ten becomes a four-bid league.

==========================

GoBeavs: The RPI seems to always be open for debate on its value. Why is so much weight put onto it and should there be a different metric used or at least added into the post-season decisions?

Aaron Fitt: The RPI carries so much weight because the committee has never bothered to look for a better system. They should, but they haven't -- so until they do, we're stuck using it as a key took in our analysis as well.

==========================

Brendan: Why with an RPI in the mid-40s is Maryland firmly a 2-seed and not closer to the bubble?

Aaron Fitt: The fact that Maryland has won 11 straight series and took the Big Ten regular season crown should make them a slam-dunk regional team, RPI be damned.

Reactions: AuroraHawk

Terpitude: I've got Maryland (2 seed), Indiana (3 seed) and Iowa (3 seed) making the NCAA Tournament. But what if a team like Michigan State wins the B1G Tournament? Would Iowa find itself like Rutgers in 2022?

Aaron Fitt: Agree with your three teams, and think Indiana could even be a 2-seed with that strong RPI (No. 27). All three of those teams look like very secure at-large teams, so if a different team wins the conference tournament, I think the Big Ten becomes a four-bid league.

This is good to hear but I'll still be nervous if Iowa gets swept out and someone other than Indiana or Maryland win the BTT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT