ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball Weekly Chat (5/22)

Alum-Ni

HR Legend
Aug 29, 2004

Terpitude: I've got Maryland (2 seed), Indiana (3 seed) and Iowa (3 seed) making the NCAA Tournament. But what if a team like Michigan State wins the B1G Tournament? Would Iowa find itself like Rutgers in 2022?

Aaron Fitt: Agree with your three teams, and think Indiana could even be a 2-seed with that strong RPI (No. 27). All three of those teams look like very secure at-large teams, so if a different team wins the conference tournament, I think the Big Ten becomes a four-bid league.

==========================

GoBeavs: The RPI seems to always be open for debate on its value. Why is so much weight put onto it and should there be a different metric used or at least added into the post-season decisions?

Aaron Fitt: The RPI carries so much weight because the committee has never bothered to look for a better system. They should, but they haven't -- so until they do, we're stuck using it as a key took in our analysis as well.

==========================

Brendan: Why with an RPI in the mid-40s is Maryland firmly a 2-seed and not closer to the bubble?

Aaron Fitt: The fact that Maryland has won 11 straight series and took the Big Ten regular season crown should make them a slam-dunk regional team, RPI be damned.

Reactions: AuroraHawk

Terpitude: I've got Maryland (2 seed), Indiana (3 seed) and Iowa (3 seed) making the NCAA Tournament. But what if a team like Michigan State wins the B1G Tournament? Would Iowa find itself like Rutgers in 2022?

Aaron Fitt: Agree with your three teams, and think Indiana could even be a 2-seed with that strong RPI (No. 27). All three of those teams look like very secure at-large teams, so if a different team wins the conference tournament, I think the Big Ten becomes a four-bid league.

This is good to hear but I'll still be nervous if Iowa gets swept out and someone other than Indiana or Maryland win the BTT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT