ADVERTISEMENT

Daily dog photos

Ms. Murph was a little down after the Iowa-Michigan game.

Sad-Murph.jpg

Miss Ella had to go in again today for a cough and she’s been lethargic. She’s got pneumonia and is on antibiotics but they don’t think they’ll help. She’s young and in good health otherwise so they think she will be fine. She might have caught something while getting her foot fixed up at the vet. There’s a dog epidemic going around, fair warning.

These are 2 of my other 3. Charlie (cream) is 4, Pickles is no longer with us. I call this pic "Who's Next: Covid Version"

Reactions: Sharky1203
13.5 year old Vizsla named Carmelita (Lita for short)....she's a spoiled puppy....but I just can't help it

IMG-4352.jpg
IMG-7854.jpg

IMG-5964.jpg
IMG-9917.jpg

IMG-5859.jpg

I'd love to get a Vizsla as I'd like to get back into bird hunting, but I understand they are a very high energy breed. When your pup was a bit younger, about how much time a day did you need to dedicate to exercise and training?

I'd love to get a Vizsla as I'd like to get back into bird hunting, but I understand they are a very high energy breed. When your pup was a bit younger, about how much time a day did you need to dedicate to exercise and training?

My first comment to that would be I always kind of feel the "high energy breed" comment is kind of a cop-out...yes if we are talking about a little ankle biting jack russell or something sure, but in my experience, most of the working bird dog breeds (vizsla, GSP, wirehaired pointers, brittany's, etc) all can be "high strung" to some degree, but most of it depends on environment. If you let a dog rule the roost from day one you are going to have problems.

Second comment would be with all that said, I am definitely partial to the Vizsla :)

I'd be lying if I said we didn't get some luck in just flat out getting a well behaved dog, but honestly I don't recall her ever being so high strung in the house per se that I felt I "needed to go run her to burn off some energy" or whatever. Regular walks to the park at night to play catch, throw a ball in the back yard, etc., nothing beyond normal for any other young dog or pup I would say.

As far as the hunting thing, if you were a hard core bird hunter that wanted nothing but a hard charging bird dog, I would not get a Vizsla as they are a little bit of a softer dog, but when you factor in they are just a family pet 9 months out of the year, I gladly took that trade off (mind you she was still a more than serviceable bird dog for the weekend hunter too)

On the training, I benefit from going hunting with a group that has other bird dogs so honestly, individually I worked on just your standard obedience at home (come, whoa, sit, heel, etc) but then most of the hunting is just instinctual and picked up in the field, especially if you hunt with other dogs.

Sorry for the novel and to derail this thread, but I would definitely recommend a Vizsla.

Reactions: like-woahh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT