ADVERTISEMENT

Dale Jones

If I was coach, I would wait to see what becomes available in the transfer market. There will be at least a half dozen big players worth taking a look at, worthy of a scholarship offer, this Spring.

The stats and size look good for Dale Jones, but what evidence is there that there is interest on either side. I know the staff were down in Tyler, TX, looking at other players but that's the only connection I know of.

Again don't know if there is interest on either side but I am intrigued by Jameel Warney of Stony Brook, who I understand is interested in transferring for his senior year. He's 6'7"-250lb and gave us fits a couple years ago in an NIT game.

Originally posted by nu2u:

If I was coach, I would wait to see what becomes available in the transfer market. There will be at least a half dozen big players worth taking a look at, worthy of a scholarship offer, this Spring.
I understand the sentiment, but I wonder how attractive Iowa would be for a graduate transfer big man. He would be walking into a time share arrangement, because Woodbury is going to start. If I was tall enough and good enough to be in that situation, I would pick a place where I was going to start and log the majority of minutes.

At the B1G level, I am also struggling to think of the last graduate transfer big man to have a significant impact. I thought Anthony Lee, as a PF, was going to have much more of an impact than he did at OSU. Jon Ekey played, as an undersized PF, for Illinois a couple years back. But I think that the impact of a graduate transfer that we might get is overstated.

That said, if you watch schools which are going through coaching changes there will be some graduate transfers. Mike Thorne, Jr., a 6-11, 270 pound center from Charlotte, announced he is transferring. He averaged 10.1 points and 7.3 rebounds per game last season.

Originally posted by jdv77:

Originally posted by nu2u:

I understand the sentiment, but I wonder how attractive Iowa would be for a graduate transfer big man. He would be walking into a time share arrangement, because Woodbury is going to start. If I was tall enough and good enough to be in that situation, I would pick a place where I was going to start and log the majority of minutes.

At the B1G level, I am also struggling to think of the last graduate transfer big man to have a significant impact. I thought Anthony Lee, as a PF, was going to have much more of an impact than he did at OSU. Jon Ekey played, as an undersized PF, for Illinois a couple years back. But I think that the impact of a graduate transfer that we might get is overstated.

That said, if you watch schools which are going through coaching changes there will be some graduate transfers. Mike Thorne, Jr., a 6-11, 270 pound center from Charlotte, announced he is transferring. He averaged 10.1 points and 7.3 rebounds per game last season.
I'm not sure you need a transfer who is immediately eligible. A high Div.1 transfer with 2-3 years eligibility who could redshirt and be ready to play when Woodbury graduates would be preferable IMO.

I think the staff is looking for somebody right now that can take over some of the loss from White and Gabe. JUCO's are always hit and miss but I think the hope for this guy or a guy like him is that he/they can play 15-20 mins a game at the 4.

My guess is Fran next year still wants the option to go big at times but realizes Woody might not be able to go more then 25mins in the B1G. Adding a guy that can play the 4 will help put natural guys that can play the 4 and 5 on the court at all times. When Woody is on the bench Fran could play Wagner/Uhl and a guy like this and not give up much size/toughness in the post. My worry next year is that we don't have enough quality bodies in the post during league play. I think its unrealistic to expect Woody to play a quality 25+ minutes in the B1G and when he is on the bench Iowa could be thin and could give up a lot in the post.

Didn't that big C go down to Tyler CC as well? Ikenna? Maybe Fran is creating a pipeline.

I am hoping that Fran is still looking at Ike, a JUCO at Tyler CC would come in as a SO, and will be here for 2 years after Woody leaves, 6'10/6'11 250 lbs, a Gabe clone as he runs the court like Gabe and is just as Athletic, can rebound, block shots, in my opinion the perfect replacement for Gabe only 25 lbs heavier.

This makes a TON of sense to me:

- Iowa kid
- Stretch 4 position (like White, not a post oriented guy)
- PF is our biggest gap next year, putting a lot of pressure on Wagner to play well and with a lot of minutes (backup C)

We don't need an offensive post player next year - White was not that player this year. We need someone to help us on offense from the PF position and to allow Uthoff to play most of his minutes at SF where he gets better matchups for his game. As we currently sit, he likely has to play a lot of minutes at PF as I think he can defend the 4 better than Uhl can.

Get 2 years from him and that buys time for our 2016 forward class to mature.

Originally posted by jaffarosenfels:

Originally posted by HerkyHopeful:

Originally posted by Birky:
A Hawkeye?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I noticed farther down on that twitter account, that dude is not a fan of ex-Hawkeye Kyle Meyer!
Cool he has something in common with most of us then;-)

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Kyle Meyer is sort of a cautionary tale about expecting too much from junior college transfers. Meyer averaged 15 ppg and 8.4 rpg in junior college this year. Shot 50% from the floor, 37.5% from 3, and 71.5% from the line. If you did a blind resume for a "6-10 power forward" with those numbers from junior college, most of us on this board would be interested in that player.

Originally posted by DanHawkPella:

- Iowa kid
- PF is our biggest gap next year, putting a lot of pressure on Wagner to play well and with a lot of minutes (backup C)

We don't need an offensive post player next year - White was not that player this year. We need someone to help us on offense from the PF position and to allow Uthoff to play most of his minutes at SF where he gets better matchups for his game. As we currently sit, he likely has to play a lot of minutes at PF as I think he can defend the 4 better than Uhl can.

Right on!

Remembering Dale Jones playing for Waterloo West, this is a kid who has a fine vertical leap, good hops as a rebounder, especially on defensive positioning. quick & better reflexes than most interior players. Good shooter, high percrentage on FTs...little not to like, other than he was too small for a 4, lacked ball handling skills to play the 3 at high Divison 1 major.

Now he apparently has grown 2 or 3 inches, is the lanky clone of Uthoff maybe. That comparison follows from two stats that stand out from his time at Tyler JC in Texas (he lost an entire season to injury): he made 99 of 215 from beyond the arc---45% for A LOT of shots; and he was the 2nd leading defensive rebounder in TX jucos, some of the best programs in the nation (and he took his Tyler team to the national Juco finals with a big scoring game against a very good San Jacinto team in a nearly 20 point win). He also hit close to 85% of his FTs.

A guy who is a strong defensive rebounder and an offensive threat from behind the 3 point line IMO fits McCaffery's style of play closely. My impression is that he would have 3 years of eligibility at Iowa, putting him in the class where Uhl is our only player on schollie.(An incorrect assumption... Thanks to Dan53 for correcting my error----I forgot all about 2013).

If the rumor is true, and McCaffery thinks highly enough of Jones to offer him the last schollie, how can we not all be on board?

This post was edited on 3/17 7:28 PM by Tiggerhawk

Originally posted by oneeyedjakes94:
Here's some video of him from 2012...
I like his touch around the basket in the vid. But I do hope he's really 6'8" in 2015.

Originally posted by Tiggerhawk:

Originally posted by DanHawkPella:

- Iowa kid

Right on!

Remembering Dale Jones playing for Waterloo West, this is a kid who has a fine vertical leap, good hops as a rebounder, especially on defensive positioning. quick & better reflexes than most interior players. Good shooter, high percrentage on FTs...little not to like, other than he was too small for a 4, lacked ball handling skills to play the 3 at high Divison 1 major.

Now he apparently has grown 2 or 3 inches, is the lanky clone of Uthoff maybe. That comparison follows from two stats that stand out from his year at Tyler JC in Texas (he lost his entire freshman season to injury): he made 99 of 215 from beyond the arc---45% for A LOT of shots; and he was the 2nd leading defensive rebounder in TX jucos, some of the best programs in the nation (and he took his Tyler team to the national Juco finals with a big scoring game against a very good San Jacinto team in a nearly 20 point win). He also hit close to 85% of his FTs.

A guy who is a strong defensive rebounder and an offensive threat from behind the 3 point line IMO fits McCaffery's style of play closely. My impression is that he would have 3 years of eligibility at Iowa, putting him in the class where Uhl is our only player on schollie.

If the rumor is true, and McCaffery thinks highly enough of Jones to offer him the last schollie, how can we not all be on board?
I THINK he spent three years at Tyler, thus he will have two left at Iowa. Otherwise what both of you had to say sounds good.

Has good size, can handle the ball well and can really stroke it. Would be great to see another Iowa kid come home to roost.

Originally posted by CanadaHawk:
Originally posted by oneeyedjakes94:
Here's some video of him from 2012...
I like his touch around the basket in the vid. But I do hope he's really 6'8" in 2015.
From what I've seen of him (watched a couple of Tyler JUCO games online this year, watching mostly for Ike) he's a good looking player; definitely 6'8" and probably 220+. Has a nice shooting touch and some good post moves. He's not going to routinely break down a defender on a dribble drive, but he certainly can get baskets both inside and outside.

He's grown quite a bit since high school. If he's offered and accepts I think between he, Uhl and Wagner (and even Uthoff in a pinch) Iowa can have the post covered for the 14-16 minutes per game when Woodbury needs/requires a break.

Perhaps not a great 1 to 1 comparison, but I think he can put up numbers similar to Cyrus Tate just in a different fashion (Tate was definitely a post player only).

Originally posted by vincebrookins:
Why wasn't he recruited out of high school? Late bloomer? Academics?
He was undersized as a post player in HS (about 6'5" 200 lbs). Not sure about the academic side of things, but his numbers were pretty good as a senior (18 pts 9.5 reb).

Has definitely grown and filled out into a bona fide power forward body. These things happens to a lot of boys. Some don't completely finish growing until their early 20's.

Here's a question that occurred to me. How is he different/similar to Atwood? By all accounts Atwood was a bust this year at ASU. They essentially play the same position/style. Would obviously need Jones to be more of a contributor than Atwood was this year.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Here's a question that occurred to me. How is he different/similar to Atwood? By all accounts Atwood was a bust this year at ASU. They essentially play the same position/style. Would obviously need Jones to be more of a contributor than Atwood was this year.
Great question! The wonder and thrill of college basketball. Is the kid a Willie Atwood, or a Reggie Evans? (And I'm just talking about team impact)

We don't know.

Last year, just speaking for myself, I was all fired up over Trey Dickerson. Ooooooops.
ohwell.r191677.gif
But I obviously haven't learned anything because I'm hoping for the post that says Jones has committed. Well, sort of. I keep wanting to call him Tyler Jones, or Dale Ellis, or even Dale Evans. Maybe a more unique name would be more suitable?

Because any player is really only a name and some numbers until we get him on the court.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Two things differences in Atwood and Jones that could be beneficial for Jones is that while they're the same height, Jones is 10 pounds bigger than Atwood. So that should help Jones fight for more rebounds at 220 rather than 210. Another big difference is 3 pt shooting. While Atwood did shoot more 3's this year (30), he only shot 11 3's his last year in juco. So he's not really known as a 3 pt threat, compared to Jones who has shot over 200 3 pointers.

If the coaches think he is good enough to contribute right away, Jones sounds like a great fit. We need someone who can give minutes at Center, but we are also thin (in more ways than one) at PF. There should be plenty of time available to make Iowa attractive to him. We mostly need an interior defender and rebounder with size, but his shooting makes him even more attractive, especially as an option to play PF in addition to center. Two years of eligibility is really perfect, because it helps to balance the classes and still covers next year and the year after Woody leaves. Hawks will need to add a couple of guys who can play the 4/5 in the 2016 and 2017 classes.

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:

I think Dale Jones is our 6th recruit for class 2015...

next up 2016...
I suspect you are right. It's kind of wild because it feels like guys like White, Olaseni, Gesell...even last years bunch of Marble and Basabe, have been with us forever.

Around this time next year we'll be thinking about a team with only two guys who saw much of any court time at all before the 2015/16 season.

If he can give 7-8ppg next year it will go a long ways for Iowa. Replacing the scoring of White and Gabe isn't going to be easy and I don't see anyone on the team taking a huge leap forward next year let alone in the post. Even when Iowa was in a long FG drought in games this year White and Gabe got to the FT line and kept Iowa in games.

Originally posted by todd_schisler:
Atwood had a limited perimeter game
+1 This guy is shooting above 45% from three with over 200 attempts, And around 85% from the line. Atwood took 7 threes all year. Just because a guy is around the same height, in junior college with similar stats does not make them similar players.

Originally posted by todd_schisler:
Atwood had a limited perimeter game
This. He was 2-7 from three on the year and he's not really big enough to bang down low = not very good.

Jones is a nearly 50% shooter from 3 with a LARGE sample size. He is a stretch 4 that is going to get bigs out of the lane and allow guards room to slash.

Does anyone know the rule regarding injuries and JUCOs? If he was injured in his first year and did not play, does that mean he gets three years at Iowa? Or does the fact that he did two years of class and graduate at JUCO mean that he only gets two years to play at Iowa even though he didn't play basketball his first year?

As I understand it, Jones has been at Tyler for three years, but has two years left of eligibility.

1st Jones will graduate in 2017 no matter where ends up this would give 2 scholarships in the 2017 class,

2nd I have issues with 2 posters, the one that said IA will only have 2 players with significant playing time in the 15-16 season these were the/are the returning starters.

PG SR Gesell
SG JR Jok
SF RSSR Uthoff
C SR Woodbury

the only one that won't have significant minute with be the player at the PF, and Uhl avg'd 10.4 mpg

6th man to be Clemmons avg'd 19.8 mpg. now I don't know about some of you that is getting significant mpg

as for the poster saying/dissing White not being a major scorer, I have no idea how or what you were thinking when you said that, OMFG White left as the 2nd leading scorer in IA's history,, and yet a poster claims that IA did not have a scorer
chairshot.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT