ADVERTISEMENT

Next season’s offensive line possibilities

Jan 14, 2021
What is the best 5 next year, assuming this North Dakota transfer is the last change? Richman still LT? Does Ellsbury get a chance to beat out Jones at center? The Jones and Linderbaum comparisons weren’t fair, but also haven’t been accurate. Seems like a guard might be his best shot. Too late to switch back to DL

Every passing down if Richman is playing…

can%27t-watch-too-stressful.gif

What is the best 5 next year, assuming this North Dakota transfer is the last change? Richman still LT? Does Ellsbury get a chance to beat out Jones at center? The Jones and Linderbaum comparisons weren’t fair, but also haven’t been accurate. Seems like a guard might be his best shot. Too late to switch back to DL
Jones did very well last year when healthy.
Just sayin.

Iowa’s one true strength is now a weakness. What the heck is going on with Iowa’s line play and terrible recruiting of it? Who is the last players drafted? Tristan in the 21 draft and Tyler in the 22 draft? There are no nfl caliber lineman in the stable right now at Iowa. That is a glaring weakness. It all starts up front.

Iowa’s one true strength is now a weakness. What the heck is going on with Iowa’s line play and terrible recruiting of it? Who is the last players drafted? Tristan in the 21 draft and Tyler in the 22 draft? There are no nfl caliber lineman in the stable right now at Iowa. That is a glaring weakness. It all starts up front.
Iowa's one truth strength has always been its defenses. The offense has very rarely been a strength, and has degenerated into a pronounced liability.

Logan Jones was the Center for our last two games - we scored zero points as you know.

Tyler Elsbury started one game at Center and played spotty minutes on other occasions..

..He looked better than Jones at Center.
Tyler played a majority of snaps at center the last two games. Jones is much better when healthy.
Jones was 3rd team coaches.
Tyler was a backup on a below average line.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: shoot_the_three
Tyler played a majority of snaps at center the last two games. Jones is much better when healthy.
That is absolutely not accurate, friend.

YouTube is our friend. Go check replay.

The sickest part of all of this is I just want the starting 5 to play at an All-BIG 3rd team level. That's all I want just solid play

Jones was much improved last season, as was Elsbury. I think Jones is more of a center, Elsbury more of a guard.

Tyler Linderbaum masked a bad offensive line his last couple of years.

That position group has been especially brutal the last two years.

Richman and DeJong stink. League honors be damned, LT looks like a turnstile at the DM airport.
They installed turnstyles at the DM airport?

Reactions: MitchLL
My best guess is they go with this
LT-Richman
LG-Elsbury
C-Jones
RG-Colby
RT-Dunker

Now if I were the HC I'd do the following....

1. DeJong stays in the locker room every week.
2. The minute Jones sucks ass you move Elsbury to Center
3. Stephens is the 1st guy off the bench for the guard positions.
4. Soon as Richman sucks put in a young guy and start his development early, I honestly don't give a damn anymore.

Alaric Jackson drafted the year after Wirfs. I think Jackson is still in the pros so those 3 are doing very well. But it makes your point that the well has gone dry.

Alaric Jackson drafted the year after Wirfs. I think Jackson is still in the pros so those 3 are doing very well. But it makes your point that the well has gone dry.
Jackson went undrafted, but yes, he has had success in the league so far.

That is absolutely not accurate, friend.

YouTube is our friend. Go check replay.
Yes, Jones played 113 out of 117 snaps at center over the last two games.

In my opinion, Jones had 3 good games (Western Michigan, Penn State, and Minnesota), 3 average games (Utah State, Purdue, and Tennessee), 2 below average games (Iowa State and Wisconsin), and 2 poor games (Michigan State and Michigan). He also played limited snaps at Rutgers (average), Northwestern (below average), and Illinois (poor). Overall, he was pretty average and not very consistent. Nobody should be claiming that he played "very well".

Elsbury had 3 good games (NW, Rutgers, Illinois) and 1 average game (Nebraska) at center. Smaller sample size, but he clearly outperformed Jones when given the chance. Hopefully Lester is able to start the best players, because I just don't see Ferentz benching Jones for Elsbury. I think that Ferentz really thought that Jones would become a poor man's Linderbaum and he would refuse to admit that he was wrong. You know, typical Ferentz stuff.

In my opinion, Jones had 3 good games (Western Michigan, Penn State, and Minnesota), 3 average games (Utah State, Purdue, and Tennessee), 2 below average games (Iowa State and Wisconsin), and 2 poor games (Michigan State and Michigan). He also played limited snaps at Rutgers (average), Northwestern (below average), and Illinois (poor). Overall, he was pretty average and not very consistent. Nobody should be claiming that he played "very well".

Elsbury had 3 good games (NW, Rutgers, Illinois) and 1 average game (Nebraska) at center. Smaller sample size, but he clearly outperformed Jones when given the chance. Hopefully Lester is able to start the best players, because I just don't see Ferentz benching Jones for Elsbury. I think that Ferentz really thought that Jones would become a poor man's Linderbaum and he would refuse to admit that he was wrong. You know, typical Ferentz stuff.
Agreed 100%. I can't remember the thread but I pointed out that Kirk and Company want the Jones project to work more than it is actually working.
I remember saying to it is unfortunate considering his weight room records he'd be a stout DT but I honestly feel the program has killed his NFL aspirations if there were any.

Reactions: MitchLL and mstrub
Colby and Dunker at Tackles. North Dakota kid at center and let Stephens start at 1 guard and Jones, Elsbury, Dejong and Richman fight it out for the other guard spot.

Jackson went undrafted, but yes, he has had success in the league so far.
I'm foggy on the details, but didn't Alaric do something drastic to his diet and lost 30-40 lbs his last season at Iowa? And was pretty ineffective his last year?
He looked thin enough to play TE.

• Sad
Reactions: hawkdave007
Colby and Dunker at Tackles. North Dakota kid at center and let Stephens start at 1 guard and Jones, Elsbury, Dejong and Richman fight it out for the other guard spot.
Colby is too slow for OT.

My concern is that as bad as this OLine has been the last several years...none of the young guys have passed the crappy upperclassmen.
Tells me the development is nonexistent.

My concern is that as bad as this OLine has been the last several years...none of the young guys have passed the crappy upperclassmen.
That, and the fact that they are roster hoarding these upperclassmen for their 5th and 6th years, instead of giving them the sweep out the door, tells me the old guys much better than the young guys behind them.

That, and the fact that they are roster hoarding these upperclassmen for their 5th and 6th years, instead of giving them the sweep out the door, tells me the old guys much better than the young guys behind them.
It's just sad.

Hard to get good recruits on that side of the ball with Iowa's reputation on offense.

Nothing improves until recruits see 2-3 years of improvement and KF won't be around that long.

Maybe new(er) guys like Lauck and/or Krogh will be ready.

It’s their second year - they should be fairly ready for some game tests.

Got it.
You know more than the coaches.

I'm foggy on the details, but didn't Alaric do something drastic to his diet and lost 30-40 lbs his last season at Iowa? And was pretty ineffective his last year?
He looked thin enough to play TE.
Yep, he started a vegan diet and lost significant weight and strength. That experiment ended right after his senior season and now his playing weight is at 330 (according to himself on Twitter, despite being listed as 285 on the Rams' website). In all honesty, that year or so as a vegan probably cost him a lot of money on his first NFL contract.

It’s hard to tell as the staff seems to place “game experience” above all other criteria when it comes to starting. It doesn’t seem to matter how bad a person does either. Game experience is golden under KF.

Reactions: MitchLL

It was definitely an up and down season for Jones, tho better overall than his sophomore year.

Frankly, I’m curious how much the change in scheme helps the o line in general next year.

All legit complaints about linemen in general, they also were not put in positions to succeed very often with zero threat from the pass game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT