ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte, Ahron, Tony, PMac, Payton & Filip Videos from August 25th's Workout

Bowen sure looks like a twig out there! Arms are 2 inches wide!!! Ithink he probably is going to bet bumped and pushed around at first.

Thanks for posting them all together.
If Tony starts hitting from deep consistently, watch out. Right now I would sag off of him until he proves it. Obviously we only saw makes and great plays, but I like him extending his range.
As has been mentioned, very little defense being played. That, to me, is the reason the Sweet 16 has been elusive for us. I know it's just a scrimmage. I just think we have a lot of good offensive players, but our best on ball defender transferred.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Thanks for posting them all together.
If Tony starts hitting from deep consistently, watch out. Right now I would sag off of him until he proves it. Obviously we only saw makes and great plays, but I like him extending his range.
As has been mentioned, very little defense being played. That, to me, is the reason the Sweet 16 has been elusive for us. I know it's just a scrimmage. I just think we have a lot of good offensive players, but our best on ball defender transferred.

Defense will be the key to Iowa's success.

No team has made the Final Four in the last 11 years with a defense ranked worse than 70th in the nation. This did not bode well for Purdue (#89), Michigan (#78) and Miami (#123) in the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

After the 2022 Kansas/North Carolina Championship game, Iowa finished with the #4 offense & the #80 defense in the nation.

The defensive standard for eventual national champions during the last 11 years is even higher:

* Each national champion has finished #22 or better.

* All but 3 title-winning teams in the last 11 years finished the season ranked in the top 10 in defensive efficiency

* 2022 national champion Kansas finished # 17

* None have been more inefficient than Baylor, which entered the 2021 tournament ranked 35th but finished 22nd, according to Pomeroy.

We are all craving a Sweet 16. Well, 7 of the Sweet 16 teams in 2022 were ranked in the top 22 defensively.

4 of the Sweet 16 teams in 2022 were ranked in the top 10 defensively (Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Houston, Iowa State).

Additional info:

KenPom has been around for 20 National Champions. Of the 20 National Champions tracked by KenPom:

* The lowest any finished in Offensive Efficiency was 39th (2014 UConn) and the lowest any finished in Defensive Efficiency was 22nd (2021 Baylor).

* 2022 National Champion Kansas was #6 in Offensive Efficiency and #17 in Defensive Efficiency. Runner up North Carolina was #18 in Offensive Efficiency and #35 in Defensive Efficiency.

* 18 of the 20 national champions in the sample (90%) finished in the top 20 for both Offensive and Defensive Efficiency.

2022 Sweet 16
KemPom Rankings:

WEST REGION
Off.....Def

...1.........9......Gonzaga (#1 team, per KenPom)
53........14.....Arkansas (#18 team, per KenPom)
46.........1......Texas Tech (#6 team, per KenPom)
...4.......43....Duke (#10 team, per KenPom)

EAST REGION
Off.....Def

.20........42.....North Carolina (#20 team, per KenPom)
..12.........13.....UCLA (#8 team, per KenPom)
...2........89.....Purdue (#12 team, per KenPom)
226.......28.....St Peters (#102 team, per KenPom)

SOUTH REGION
Off.....Def

...7.........18.....Arizona (#3 team, per KenPom)
..10........10.....Houston (#2 team, per KenPom)
..19........78.....Michigan (#27 team, per KenPom)
...8........30.....Villanova (#11 team, per KenPom)

MIDWEST REGION
Off.....Def

...6........26....Kansas (#5 team, per KenPom)
..32.......58....Providence (#33 team, per KenPom)
156.........5....Iowa State (#37 team, per KenPom)
..18.......123...Miami FL (#42 team, per KenPom)

Defense will be the key to Iowa's success.

No team has made the Final Four in the last 11 years with a defense ranked worse than 70th in the nation. This did not bode well for Purdue (#89), Michigan (#78) and Miami (#123) in the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

After the 2022 Kansas/North Carolina Championship game, Iowa finished with the #4 offense & the #80 defense in the nation.

The defensive standard for eventual national champions during the last 11 years is even higher:

* Each national champion has finished #22 or better.

* All but 3 title-winning teams in the last 11 years finished the season ranked in the top 10 in defensive efficiency

* 2022 national champion Kansas finished # 17

* None have been more inefficient than Baylor, which entered the 2021 tournament ranked 35th but finished 22nd, according to Pomeroy.

We are all craving a Sweet 16. Well, 7 of the Sweet 16 teams in 2022 were ranked in the top 22 defensively.

4 of the Sweet 16 teams in 2022 were ranked in the top 10 defensively (Gonzaga, Texas Tech, Houston, Iowa State).

Additional info:

KenPom has been around for 20 National Champions. Of the 20 National Champions tracked by KenPom:

* The lowest any finished in Offensive Efficiency was 39th (2014 UConn) and the lowest any finished in Defensive Efficiency was 22nd (2021 Baylor).

* 2022 National Champion Kansas was #6 in Offensive Efficiency and #17 in Defensive Efficiency. Runner up North Carolina was #18 in Offensive Efficiency and #35 in Defensive Efficiency.

* 18 of the 20 national champions in the sample (90%) finished in the top 20 for both Offensive and Defensive Efficiency.

2022 Sweet 16
KemPom Rankings:

WEST REGION
Off.....Def

...1.........9......Gonzaga (#1 team, per KenPom)
53........14.....Arkansas (#18 team, per KenPom)
46.........1......Texas Tech (#6 team, per KenPom)
...4.......43....Duke (#10 team, per KenPom)

EAST REGION
Off.....Def

.20........42.....North Carolina (#20 team, per KenPom)
..12.........13.....UCLA (#8 team, per KenPom)
...2........89.....Purdue (#12 team, per KenPom)
226.......28.....St Peters (#102 team, per KenPom)

SOUTH REGION
Off.....Def

...7.........18.....Arizona (#3 team, per KenPom)
..10........10.....Houston (#2 team, per KenPom)
..19........78.....Michigan (#27 team, per KenPom)
...8........30.....Villanova (#11 team, per KenPom)

MIDWEST REGION
Off.....Def

...6........26....Kansas (#5 team, per KenPom)
..32.......58....Providence (#33 team, per KenPom)
156.........5....Iowa State (#37 team, per KenPom)
..18.......123...Miami FL (#42 team, per KenPom)
That's REALLY interesting stuff on the Sweet 16 numbers from this last season. Here are the teams that had numbers that I think we could get to with next years roster:

Team--Offense-------Defense:

Duke 4 and 43

NC 20 and 42

Purdue 2 and 89

Michigan 19 and 78

Providence 32 and 58

Miami 18 and 123

We had numbers as good or better than Miami and Michigan right? I don't remember what ours were exactly but something like top 10 offense and around 80 on defense?

I'm terrible at finding the good info....I was able to see where pre-NCAA Tourney our offense was ranked #5, but I could not find what the defensive rating was at that same time....@Franisdaman to you know what that number was for comparison?

Last edited:
That's REALLY interesting stuff on the Sweet 16 numbers from this last season. Here are the teams that had numbers that I think we could get to with next years roster:

Team--Offense-------Defense:

Duke 4 and 43

NC 20 and 42

Purdue 2 and 89

Michigan 19 and 78

Providence 32 and 58

Miami 18 and 123

We had numbers as good or better than Miami and Michigan right? I don't remember what ours were exactly but something like top 10 offense and around 80 on defense?

I'm terrible at finding the good info....I was able to see where pre-NCAA Tourney our offense was ranked #5, but I could not find what the defensive rating was at that same time....@Franisdaman to you know what that number was for comparison?

Iowa finished the season with the #4 offense & the #80 defense in the nation. These numbers were very similar going into the NCAA Tournament

I think I'm more excited for Sandfort than anyone.

I absolutely love his game. He's gona be a much more versatile player than people understand yet.
Excited as well. I wonder if his game can translate to The League? Dare I say he reminds be a bit of Kyle Korver with that effortless quick high point release. Kyle's father is our pastor and he even mentioned Kyle wasn't very athletic.

Patrick posted this today. I count all 11 scholarship players + the 4 walkons = 15.

Carter looks like a linebacker. Ogundele is just a presence. I really hope he has a great season because we could sure use him.

I hope Riley had sun block on. ;)

FbcKCnEXgAEOozc

Patrick posted this today. I count all 11 scholarship players + the 4 walkons = 15.

Carter looks like a linebacker. Ogundele is just a presence. I really hope he has a great season because we could sure use him.

FbcKCnEXgAEOozc

Kris looks like he's packed on 10-15 pounds of muscle since last year. Gonna be fun to watch him explode this year. Pmac looks way stronger too.

Reactions: Franisdaman

FbcKCnEXgAEOozc

Drawing a blank. Who is the short guy in the middle front row?

ADVERTISEMENT