ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte Bowen has entered the Transfer Portal (Commits to St. Bonaventure). He was supposed to be "the" PG that Fran finally landed

Dasonte's stats tonight:

5 minutes

0 FG attempts
0 FT attempts

0 Points
0 Assists
1 Turnover
0 Steals
1 Rebound
What’s his normal output?

It’s unfortunate because Fran landing and/or developing a good point guard could have made a world of difference on some of Fran’s more talented teams from the Uthoff or Garza era.

Hard to believe Fran hasn’t been able to produce even one respectable point guard in a decade and a half.

Not sure why this happens to so many point guards. Dickerson, Ulis, Bowen... Surely I'm forgetting some. Just warm bodies out there. Then they transfer.

Fran can't identify and recruit good PGs---Dickerson, Ulis, Bownen, Clemmons, Gessell, CMAC....woof. I like JBO, but he lacked athleticism at a position that features the fasted, quickest players on the court.

He should be. He's 23 and played 5 years. He wasn't playing even average his last season at Iowa.

What is your point? JoeT could have been 23 and playing his 5th year at Iowa and be better PG than anyone he have. I do agree JoeT not a good fit for Fran's offense only version of basketball.

PMAC and CMAC were both 6 year players and they never lit the Basketball court on fire. Playing a long time doesn't mean you automatically become a good player.

Copy and paste this from game thread:
Haven’t watched a game in awhile, so this is a general observation. 1 thing I would absolutely never trust is Frans development and use of a pg. It’s become very apparent he has no f’n clue what a pg should be and how to use 1 in today’s game! I blame Fran, not Bowen.

And add this:
Bowen was playing pretty well when he was a starter. High assist, low turnover and decent scorer. Then in one of Frans brilliant moves he throws dix out at the 1 against the best and most physical D we’d faced all season in ISU, which we all saw was a disaster from the opening whistle. Then doubles down by moving perk to the 1 and going with a big lineup inserting Owen into the starting lineup against UM. And this isn’t a knock on Dix or Owen because they should be starters. It’s a knock on Fran for not putting his son on the bench where he belongs and playing a lineup that conforms to how college basketball is played these days. It’s not a secret guards win games in today’s landscape!

What’s his normal output?

It’s unfortunate because Fran landing and/or developing a good point guard could have made a world of difference on some of Fran’s more talented teams from the Uthoff or Garza era.

Hard to believe Fran hasn’t been able to produce even one respectable point guard in a decade and a half.

Prior to tonight, for the first 24 games:

8 starts (16 times off the bench)

13.8 minutes

4.5 Pts
2.0 Assists
.60 Turnovers
.50 Steals
1.3 Rebounds

1.5 FGs Made/game
3.8 FGs Attempted/game

40% FG
22% (4-18) from 3

• Sad
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
when was the last time we had a first team big ten PG?

JoBo?
Horner?
Woolridge?
I won’t even comment on Bohannon. Horner was an above average big ten point guard. Dean Oliver felt like a first team all big ten guy, he was great. Woolridge is the best I’ve ever seen play at Iowa as a guard. And it’s not close. I was born in the late 1980s.

I won’t even comment on Bohannon. Horner was an above average big ten point guard. Dean Oliver felt like a first team all big ten guy, he was great. Woolridge is the best I’ve ever seen play at Iowa as a guard. And it’s not close. I was born in the late 1980s.
I agree 100% with this. Woolridge was outstanding. I still find it hard to believe he didn’t get a shot in the NBA. In retrospect Oliver was vastly underrated. IMO a big reason the team with Recker/Evans laid a turd and missed the dance was due to missing Oliver as a facilitator and leader. It’s so frustrating how Iowa struggles to develop the most important positions in both basketball and football (pg & qb). IMO Fran’s best pg has been Gessell. Even though he wasn’t the scorer that JBo was the team seemed to struggle when he wasn’t in the game. Could have just been the personnel though too; no Garza, Murrays, or Wieskamp during his time.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Harding is small but gives great effort in the defensive end. He just is the best I have seen in the Fran era at creating and generating easy shots for others and getting into the lane.

His outside shot obviously needs work but our offense was so bogged down in the 2nd half. I would have stuck with Brock.

I hate Krikke and PMac on floor together especially against a super athletic MD team.

Our roster just isn’t very good. I am ready for a reset.

Harding should no doubt be getting the backup PG minutes but this loss is hardly on bowen. Honestly everyone was pretty ass tonight

Reactions: BirdistheWord
19 minutes…3-9, 7 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 turnover

Iowa shot 12 free throws to Maryland’s 29
Krikke didn't set the world on fire tonight either, 1 rebound and 9 points in 34 minutes, wow, just wow. and then on the radio show, talking to Dolph he says that he is trying to work on his defense. Evidently, it's not sinking in, not going to go back and view the game again but I'd like to know how many easy baskets he allowed by being out of position or just unable to guard, bet it was more then 9 points....

Harding should no doubt be getting the backup PG minutes but this loss is hardly on bowen. Honestly everyone was pretty ass tonight
I agree with this post. you can't expect either Bowen or Harding to accomplish anything playing under 10 minutes a game.
When either of this 2 players got the opportunity to show what they could do with extended minutes they both played very well, but Fran's rotations over the years have been head scratchers for sure and will continue to be for the unforeseeable future.
This is such a scoring challenged team that Fran is forced to play a dysfunctional team and it shows.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Fran has never had good pg play because Frans idea of ball movement doesn't fit with the way kids learn to play today.

Fran wants the ball to move horizontally via the pass and motion off the ball. That's not the way the talented pgs play today. They learn to play taking the ball towards the hoop.

Fran has said in interviews he doesn't want a guy who "pounds the ball" he wants the ball to keep moving.

Problem is ALL the good talented pgs in 2024 "pound the ball." Marylands pg pounds the ball. That's just how the modern game is played.

Bowen has a really good first step, (by far the best Fran has had at Iowa). Decent handle, good foot work in the lane, good explosiveness and good body controll around the rim.

But he's a fish out of water trying to move the ball side to side in Frans offense and hes not a shooter so he's basically just out there trying not turn the ball over in his 4 minutes. Its exactly the same thing that happened with Toussaint.

He'll transfer after this season because it will never work with Fran.

I'd like to see Harding get more minutes too. He just seems to loosen things up with his quicks and passing ability. Thought he played real well in his few minutes tonight.
Yeah, he got buried under the basket by Young with no help defense, heck even Purdue's Braden Smith can't keep a taller player from scoring on him close to the basket without help defense but his ball handling and court save is more valuable then allowing a few baskets. Brock would be the same if he was a little stronger, but he's working on it and his shooting is coming around although it might be too late to help this year because Fran has already decided who's getting the balk of the minutes. Brock is ultra quick and his steal and basket was a thing of beauty, but it's just not enough to get him more minutes because Iowa needs scoring and Fran thinks Perkins and Dix are the answer and ball handling suffers for it in giving up leads late in games. On to Wisconsin on Saturday.

Fran has never had good pg play because Frans idea of ball movement doesn't fit with the way kids learn to play today.

Fran wants the ball to move horizontally via the pass and motion off the ball. That's not the way the talented pgs play today. They learn to play taking the ball towards the hoop.

Fran has said in interviews he doesn't want a guy who "pounds the ball" he wants the ball to keep moving.

Problem is ALL the good talented pgs in 2024 "pound the ball." Marylands pg pounds the ball. That's just how the modern game is played.

Bowen has a really good first step, (by far the best Fran has had at Iowa). Decent handle, good foot work in the lane, good explosiveness and good body controll around the rim.

But he's a fish out of water trying to move the ball side to side in Frans offense and hes not a shooter so he's basically just out there trying not turn the ball over in his 4 minutes. Its exactly the same thing that happened with Toussaint.

He'll transfer after this season because it will never work with Fran.
can we gets this F pinned at the top of the board?

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT