ADVERTISEMENT

Dasonte Bowen has entered the Transfer Portal (Commits to St. Bonaventure). He was supposed to be "the" PG that Fran finally landed

Later dude. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Fran starting this guy for half the season is 100% why we're not in the tourney this year. (and giving Pmac so many minutes)

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
He prob read some of the things you'a'll were saying about Pmac and wanted to get out before the comments were about him.
You think Bowen would just be gift wrapped 20 plus minutes a night no matter what he does, just like PMac is given?!?

He prob read some of the things you'a'll were saying about Pmac and wanted to get out before the comments were about him.

If Bowen had played as much as PMAC, I don't think he'd be leaving. If Bowen had been Frans' kid, he would have played more. So yes it does come down to PMAC syndrome.

Fran has a hard time recruiting African american players in 1st place since our roster is only 30% African American vs college average of around 53%. Keeping African American players from portaling out is even harder for Fran. Seems like lack of PT is usually most of the issue along with Fran not being able to recruit highly rated African american players in first place with more ability to earn PT.

We have lost to transfer Recruited African American players C. Williams, Dailey, Hutton, Wagner, Pemsl, Moss, JoeT, Dickinson, Ogundule, Uhlis, Bowen while only losing caucasian Ellingson, Fredricks, Nunge. Our portal losses seem disproportionately African American, so maybe Fran is not as loved by All his players as is made out.

Iowa: Where point guard talent goes to die.

Can someone remind again me how many minutes Harding got against K-State?

I fully expect Josh Dix to be our starting PG next year. (Not that Josh isn’t a good player; he is — just not a PG)
IMHO Fran has been on a downward spiral (of sorts) trying to recruit athletic guards since losing out to Tyler Ulis. Without having Bowen’s HS offers in front of me, I am guessing it was mainly low/mid tier programs. So essentially we were hoping to land a diamond in the rough. I get it that athletic guards don’t grow on trees and are chopping at the bit to play for Iowa, but Fran needs to figure it out - preferably via the portal. Maybe take a chance on a former highly recruited guard who is riding the pine for a blue blood? No shame in taking blue blood scraps!😎

If Bowen had played as much as PMAC, I don't think he'd be leaving. If Bowen had been Frans' kid, he would have played more. So yes it does come down to PMAC syndrome.

Fran has a hard time recruiting African american players in 1st place since our roster is only 30% African American vs college average of around 53%. Keeping African American players from portaling out is even harder for Fran. Seems like lack of PT is usually most of the issue along with Fran not being able to recruit highly rated African american players in first place with more ability to earn PT.

We have lost to transfer Recruited African American players C. Williams, Dailey, Hutton, Wagner, Pemsl, Moss, JoeT, Dickinson, Ogundule, Uhlis, Bowen while only losing caucasian Ellingson, Fredricks, Nunge. Our portal losses seem disproportionately African American, so maybe Fran is not as loved by All his players as is made out.
I was just joking and also you can say Black.

Never thought about that.

IMHO Fran has been on a downward spiral (of sorts) trying to recruit athletic guards since losing out to Tyler Ulis. Without having Bowen’s HS offers in front of me, I am guessing it was mainly low/mid tier programs. So essentially we were hoping to land a diamond in the rough. I get it that athletic guards don’t grow on trees and are chopping at the bit to play for Iowa, but Fran needs to figure it out - preferably via the portal. Maybe take a chance on a former highly recruited guard who is riding the pine for a blue blood? No shame in taking blue blood scraps!😎
I think Fran gravitates toward point guards that remind him of himself.

There’s not much, if any, money available for a good player out of the portal. It’s been mentioned most NIL goes to football and very little available for basketball. No good pg is transferring to Iowa for free.

There’s not much, if any, money available for a good player out of the portal. It’s been mentioned most NIL goes to football and very little available for basketball. No good pg is transferring to Iowa for free.
I wouldn’t expect us to land much guard talent out of the portal unless it’s someone on the caliber of Bakari Evelyn.

I don’t think Bowen was mismanaged (not very big, not super athletic, not a lockdown defender, not a good shooter, etc. - I doubt other P5 schools will be clamoring for him).

I DO think our roster was mismanaged. Fran brought in 3 freshman forwards this year and 2 transfer forwards. Next year he’s signed 2 more forwards and no guards. Even if Bowen stayed, we’d only be guaranteed 3 returning guards next year. That’s ludicrous roster management.

Brauns/Dembele/Tadjo: at least one of those schollies should have gone to a guard, if not 2

Reactions: amahawk
Better hope that Tony returns or Iowa is going to be VERY thin at guard. Even if Tony returns, Fran should be doing everything he can to attract another PG or combo guard. Other B1G teams found really good guards in the portal. No reason Iowa shouldn't also be able to find one.

Better hope that Tony returns or Iowa is going to be VERY thin at guard. Even if Tony returns, Fran should be doing everything he can to attract another PG or combo guard. Other B1G teams found really good guards in the portal. No reason Iowa shouldn't also be able to find one.

I'm not sure if Fran expected to lose Ahron Ulis when he brought in last years class.

This in a nutshell, which gave us Cmac. Unfortunately its not 40+ years ago, and THAT guy doesn't have the athletisim to penetrate or defend at this level.....
And then what guard in his right mind is going to want to compete with the coach’s son for playing time??? Really hurt our recruiting.

And then what guard in his right mind is going to want to compete with the coach’s son for playing time??? Really hurt our recruiting.
It is interesting to note that Connor McCaffery committed to Iowa in August of 2014. In the four recruiting classes that followed (2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018) we signed a grand total of one point guard — Jordan Bohannon.

FWIW, the total number of PGs who even received scholarship offers during this period was pretty low, relative to other positions.

The drought ended in 2019, we landed Joe Toussaint, after missing on DJ Carton. In 2020, we got Ahron Ulis. And then in 2022, we picked up Dasonte Bowen. And as we now know, all three of these guys left Iowa with eligibility remaining, or are about to.

I think Fran gravitates toward point guards that remind him of himself.
Does Fran just have a certain type of player and style that he likes and is comfortable with and he’s unwilling to change? That would be great if Iowa is doing great things this time of year, but if you keep stumbling because of the same deficiencies (guard play for example), maybe you adapt or reinvent.

I don’t think Fran is going to change his stripes, so Iowa is probably going to see more of the same.

It is interesting to note that Connor McCaffery committed to Iowa in August of 2014. In the four recruiting classes that followed (2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018) we signed a grand total of one point guard — Jordan Bohannon.
Connor was 2017 class, maybe committed in 2014. JBO was 2016. Chris Williams was considered a pg in 2015. There isn't a doubt that Fran thought Connor would be his pg and that he overplayed both his boys when better options were available to him and the Hawks.

Connor was 2017 class, maybe committed in 2014. JBO was 2016. Chris Williams was considered a pg in 2015. There isn't a doubt that Fran thought Connor would be his pg and that he overplayed both his boys when better options were available to him and the Hawks.
Yes on all the years. Williams is listed as a SG in his Rivals profile. (As was Connor).

Yep, that was as easy as predicting that the sun was going to rise in the east this morning.

Sarcastic Big Deal GIF by CBS

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT