ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn Staley comment about the Iowa win.

She isn't wrong that it was a bad call. She's wrong for being a coach of another college basketball team and commenting on the officiating in a game she has nothing to do with, other than that the call favored (and not even that significantly, in the end) the only team that's beaten her in the last year and a half.

It's not just unprofessional; it's borderline unhinged.
This sounds about right.

Maybe not, but there are at least 3 examples of Clark (and others) being basically tackled while shooting and nothing being called. People who point to this as a reason to somehow minimize Clark's shot probably don't want to get into a "this was a missed call" contest because the balance of missed calls hurt Iowa far more than it did MSU.
Michigan St. is a dirty playing team, they always have been under Merchant but I thought maybe it would have changed with a new coach.

Michigan St. is a dirty playing team, they always have been under Merchant but I thought maybe it would have changed with a new coach.
I didn't think they were doing anything different than a lot of other teams I've seen play. One method that has at least disrupted Iowa a bit is just to beat the hell out of them, in particular Clark. If you get a night where the officials aren't on top of it it leads to games like what we saw against MSU. Iowa's other players can't shoot because they aren't Caitlin Clark so she ends up being most the offense, even while being fouled a million times. Women's basketball as a whole has a problem. The speed of the sport is far, far greater than it was even 10 years ago and it is hard to find officials that can keep up with it.

I didn't think they were doing anything different than a lot of other teams I've seen play. One method that has at least disrupted Iowa a bit is just to beat the hell out of them, in particular Clark. If you get a night where the officials aren't on top of it it leads to games like what we saw against MSU. Iowa's other players can't shoot because they aren't Caitlin Clark so she ends up being most the offense, even while being fouled a million times. Women's basketball as a whole has a problem. The speed of the sport is far, far greater than it was even 10 years ago and it is hard to find officials that can keep up with it.
I agree with the officials can't keep up with it. There were a lot of elbows being thrown in the paint and nothing was called.

Yeah I don't understand the people here. That's clearly not a shooting foul. Of course that called helped Iowa and Staley isn't wrong in her tweet.
Clearly not a shooting foul but at 71-71 with 30 sec left Iowa easily could have still won the game even if they weren't given those free throws so acting like the refs handed the Hawks the game due to that call was pretty stupid

I remember Staley from her student days at UVA and knew some of her teammates. Staley was highly touted as the new face of college women's basketball, because she "played like a guy." She was even called the female Michael Jordan. As you might expect from that description, Staley was highly competitive and her game focused on a physical style of play and attacking the basket.

My take on things is that Staley is, to the point of obsession, still angry about losing the semi-final game and angry about Clark being the new big thing in women's basketball. She probably doesn't like Clark's style of play, just like some old-school NBA players were initially quite critical of Steph Curry and the Warriors.

I remember Staley from her student days at UVA and knew some of her teammates. Staley was highly touted as the new face of college women's basketball, because she "played like a guy." She was even called the female Michael Jordan. As you might expect from that description, Staley was highly competitive and her game focused on a physical style of play and attacking the basket.

My take on things is that Staley is, to the point of obsession, still angry about losing the semi-final game and angry about Clark being the new big thing in women's basketball. She probably doesn't like Clark's style of play, just like some old-school NBA players were initially quite critical of Steph Curry and the Warriors.
I've found a lot of WBB fans -- especially SEC fans -- really hate the idea of a fast-paced, offense-first program. That we don't play defense like an SEC school is basically a personal insult, it's pretty strange tbh. The SC Loss to Iowa was a bad day for the "defense wins championships" crowd.

I remember watching a Texas-Iowa State game last year and Texas played so slow, I was bored and ended up tuning it out to just scroll on my phone, which is pretty weird for me as it's difficult for me to turn away from a game with any programs I'm familiar with. I posted "this game is so slow, it's actually boring" on reddit and got like 10 downvotes lol. As though anyone wants to watch a game with a final score of 55-45.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop-71
I posted "this game is so slow, it's actually boring" on reddit and got like 10 downvotes lol.
Reddit is terrible. It is a bunch of 20-40 year old babies who live in their parents basement and complain/whine about how difficult life is being an adult. If you don't toe their line of thinking, they will attack like piranhas.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Reddit is terrible. It is a bunch of 20-40 year old babies who live in their parents basement and complain/whine about how difficult life is being an adult. If you don't toe their line of thinking, they will attack like piranhas.
Excuse you. The Reddit Wbb community is just about the only place on the internet you can have an actual conversation about the game.

I’ve met a lot more reasonable fans from, for example South Carolina, Nebraska and Indiana on there than anywhere else. Twitter is a dumpster fire of unchecked toxicity and bots, in contrast.

I cheer for multiple teams so it’s nice to engage with other fans who can string together more than one sentence. Most people seem to actually have attended the schools they cheer for as well, so it’s not surprising.

Iowa fans make up a strong majority of fans there as well which is fun. There are some NCAA officials on there too who provide great insight. And people share insight from different programs. An Indiana fan saw Sara Scalia on her campus visit, for example, so we saw that transfer coming. An LSU fan shared that Angel Reese wasn’t even on campus the first couple weeks of practice…too busy apparently. They weren’t happy to learn that but I loved reading lol.

It’s also very accommodating — anyone who is racist, homophobic, transphobic is banned with little delay. That may not be your style so I get why you might not like it lmao.

Last edited:
Excuse you. The Reddit Wbb community is just about the only place on the internet you can have an actual conversation about the game.

I’ve met a lot more reasonable fans from, for example South Carolina, Nebraska and Indiana on there than anywhere else. Twitter is a dumpster fire of unchecked toxicity and bots, in contrast.

I cheer for multiple teams so it’s nice to engage with other fans who can string together more than one sentence. Most people seem to actually have attended the schools they cheer for as well, so it’s not surprising.

Iowa fans make up a strong majority of fans there as well which is fun. There are some NCAA officials on there too who provide great insight. It’s also very accommodating — anyone who is racist, homophobic, transphobic is banned with little delay. That may not be your style so I get why you might not like it lmao.
Reddit sucks. I bet the majority of that sub smells their own farts lmao.

Yes! Lol it’s a pretty great place that way! I don’t think I ever had a conservative professor tbh. Iowa City is such a liberal oasis…its why I love cheering for this school so much — great memories, great people :) I don’t live in Iowa anymore but I bet yall are glad your taxes dollars are doing god’s work right?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

PS the reason you guys are so upset about whether black people can be racist is bc you guys don’t understand how institutionalized racism or intersectionality works. Again, you can take a number of classes at our Alma mater to learn about it, it’s good stuff. In state tuition is cheap. It’s not rly that complicated either.

Also, I know this might explode your heads even more but if you follow some of our players on social media…brace yourself…you’ll see they’re pretty damn woke too! Clutch your pearls brothers!
this is tired.

Question, do you also participate in this type of discourse in forums where people can call you out on your bullshit........or do you seek out audiences that for some reason you feel some type of intellectual superiority over? Like that DB in the bar on Good Will Hunting?

you can go over you class notes from your freshman Diversity and Inclusion course and spit them out on here all you want, but real human interaction is complex and is does not just fit nicely within your institutionalized racism flow chart.

And its laughable you would bring up intersectionality, because the very concept of that term is based on the fact that each and EVERY individual or group has multiple identities that together contribute to how they may be perceived or treated, not just the ones that fit your narrative. Coach Staley's intention was clearly a calculated dig at Iowa and CC, so why did she do it?

I am confident in suggesting that the Coach doesn't make those comments if South Carolina would have beaten Iowa last year. That just simply makes her petty.

But I would also suggest she doesn't chime in if CC was a black player playing for LSU. Does that make her racist? I don't know, maybe you could check your notes and enlighten us smart guy.

Bump

this is tired.

Question, do you also participate in this type of discourse in forums where people can call you out on your bullshit........or do you seek out audiences that for some reason you feel some type of intellectual superiority over? Like that DB in the bar on Good Will Hunting?

you can go over you class notes from your freshman Diversity and Inclusion course and spit them out on here all you want, but real human interaction is complex and is does not just fit nicely within your institutionalized racism flow chart.

And its laughable you would bring up intersectionality, because the very concept of that term is based on the fact that each and EVERY individual or group has multiple identities that together contribute to how they may be perceived or treated, not just the ones that fit your narrative. Coach Staley's intention was clearly a calculated dig at Iowa and CC, so why did she do it?

I am confident in suggesting that the Coach doesn't make those comments if South Carolina would have beaten Iowa last year. That just simply makes her petty.

But I would also suggest she doesn't chime in if CC was a black player playing for LSU. Does that make her racist? I don't know, maybe you could check your notes and enlighten us smart guy.
Happy New Year GIF by HBO

• Haha
Reactions: LinusPF
Maybe go back to half court basketball so the officials can keep up.
I've found a lot of WBB fans -- especially SEC fans -- really hate the idea of a fast-paced, offense-first program. That we don't play defense like an SEC school is basically a personal insult, it's pretty strange tbh. The SC Loss to Iowa was a bad day for the "defense wins championships" crowd.

I remember watching a Texas-Iowa State game last year and Texas played so slow, I was bored and ended up tuning it out to just scroll on my phone, which is pretty weird for me as it's difficult for me to turn away from a game with any programs I'm familiar with. I posted "this game is so slow, it's actually boring" on reddit and got like 10 downvotes lol. As though anyone wants to watch a game with a final score of 55-45.

SEC should love Kirk.

Maybe go back to half court basketball so the officials can keep up.

SEC should love Kirk.
Uh...what? The officials not being able to keep up isn't Iowa's problem. Their inability to officiate properly isn't their problem either. It's the NCAA's problem as it will delegitmize the game on the floor. This isn't a unique problem to women's basketball either. Officiating sucks in football and men's basketball too.

I don’t think she is racist. I do think she is over sensitive and will play the race card far too easily. She has made digs at Clark before. Last year she had to defend herself from what she said about Clark by saying she had given Clark the Staley POY award the prior two years (and also last year).

To answer your question, probably the answer is how much she has played the race card and her public digs at Clark. I do think some people are resentful of Clark from all of the attention she has been given. I can see Staley feeling that way when she has a team chock full of stars.
She’s a racist

Reactions: tweeterhawk
It’d be so great if anyone ever read thru another thread to see if a topic has already been discussed to death. This happens daily with WBB content…I would not be surprised to see yet another thread about this tomorrow. Why is no one capable of reading, or at least using the search function?

Also lol at you fragile bros convinced every black woman is racist. Staley is bitter and maybe jealous but not racist. You can take a number of classes at the institution we all cheer for in the anthropology, poli sci, international studies departments etc to learn why that is. The irony of you guys pretending to be victims while complaining about Staley wanting to play the victim too lmaooo.

Try Again Music Video GIF
You convinced me. She’s a racist.

PS the reason you guys are so upset about whether black people can be racist is bc you guys don’t understand how institutionalized racism or intersectionality works. Again, you can take a number of classes at our Alma mater to learn about it, it’s good stuff. In state tuition is cheap. It’s not rly that complicated either.

Just because you're gullible enough to fall for the DEI grift doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Um, there have been multiple Staley threads on this Board, and this one will probably go on another page or two. Looks like she's had to block dozens of Iowa fans from her Twitter page. Iowa fans are just as obsessed with her.

This reads like the half naked chick at the gym filming her workouts and then complaining that men are staring at her.

When you talk sh1t you better be comfortable getting it back, if you can't handle it you're a hypocrite. Staley starts the sh1t and then how dare anyone respond to her.

She's a manipulatior and dense people fall in line with her.

This reads like the half naked chick at the gym filming her workouts and then complaining that men are staring at her.

When you talk sh1t you better be comfortable getting it back, if you can't handle it you're a hypocrite. Staley starts the sh1t and then how dare anyone respond to her.

She's a manipulatior and dense people fall in line with her.
So a racist hypocrite. Or a hypocrite racist. The worst kind.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
WBB has never seen a talent like Clark? Come on now. This is where CC's recognition becomes ridiculous
It's not just her basketball talent. Caitlyn is having a Jordan/Curry-like effect where we see a massive spike in attendance even for road games. Fans show up early to watch warmups. I believe I read earlier in the week after Rutgers announced fridays game had sold out that 27 of 32 games for Iowa, both home and away, have sold out now. That's simply unprecedented in women's hoops.

So no, I agree that WBB has never seen someone like Caitlyn Clark before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT