ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn Staley: "She's going to go down in the history books as arguably the best player to grace our collegiate sports"

At a minimum, I would say eight. She could put up 200+ until she's done. Kind words by Dawn Staley. When Caitlin's feeling it, look out. I just shake my head in awe.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
While she has taken a few shots at Clark in the past I honestly don't think that it's anything personal. I think it's more frustration at all the media attention Clark has (rightly) gotten over the past 2-3 years. There are plenty of good stories in women's college basketball and I'm sure it has got to be annoying for fans, coaches, and players of other teams to see a majority of the media attention go to 1 player.

While she has taken a few shots at Clark in the past I honestly don't think that it's anything personal. I think it's more frustration at all the media attention Clark has (rightly) gotten over the past 2-3 years. There are plenty of good stories in women's college basketball and I'm sure it has got to be annoying for fans, coaches, and players of other teams to see a majority of the media attention go to 1 player.

I agree that some in the sport are frustrated, envious, jealous of Clark getting so much attention but... and this is the but... Clark is also such a very good passer and she makes some astounding passes and she is also a very good dribbler. I think a highlight reel of her super passes would surprise a lot of fans who do not know how tough it is to make those passes.

She seems to me to be a very good defender as in the past couple years of watching her the players she guards do not score a lot or a lot of easy buckets.

And really she scores so much and assists so much that she should do whatver she can to stay out of foul trouble as her plus/minus ratio is way off the chart on the plus side.

I agree that some in the sport are frustrated, envious, jealous of Clark getting so much attention but... and this is the but... Clark is also such a very good passer and she makes some astounding passes and she is also a very good dribbler. I think a highlight reel of her super passes would surprise a lot of fans who do not know how tough it is to make those passes.

She seems to me to be a very good defender as in the past couple years of watching her the players she guards do not score a lot or a lot of easy buckets.

And really she scores so much and assists so much that she should do whatver she can to stay out of foul trouble as her plus/minus ratio is way off the chart on the plus side.
They can shove their frustrations where the sun don't shine.

My only complaint with this 'compliment' is: How can you even say 'arguably'? Who would you put above her? Maybe if you include men - Pistol Pete only used 3 years, but was a ball hog.

It would be interesting to somehow quantify the amount of national attention Caitlin has received vs Kelsey Plum of just seven years ago. Maybe a tenfold difference???

I think Caitlin demonstrably has more game, but KP ain't no slouch. She interestingly scored 57 points the night she broke the record.

Regardless, we're just lucky to have had a front row seat for four years now.

<sigh> the latest clickbait/ragebait for engagement

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

I didnt listen to it but reading the quote maybe Jay talks about winning championships. Caitlin hasnt won any kind of championship yet where she was the mainstay.

I would say though that she took Iowa right to the brink and Iowa has never been that close.

I wouldnt worry about "great" until her WNBA and maybe Olympics and World competition plays out

I didnt listen to it but reading the quote maybe Jay talks about winning championships. Caitlin hasnt won any kind of championship yet where she was the mainstay.

I would say though that she took Iowa right to the brink and Iowa has never been that close.

I wouldnt worry about "great" until her WNBA and maybe Olympics and World competition plays out
With her breaking the scoring records & her assist totals, coupled with a championship game appearance she is arguably the greatest women's college player of all time. Not her fault she didn't get the recruits around her to win multiple championships. It is a team game afterall. She's on everyone's Mount Rushmore of collegiate women's athlete's.

Thread '“Once we settled in, it was a Dog Fight."--Dawn Staley'
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/“once-we-settled-in-it-was-a-dog-fight-dawn-staley.436081/
I thought you hated her Frannie, so why post what she said? Seems like she’s living rent free in your head. I for one don’t GAS what she has to say about CC, good or bad. The greats will always have their critics.

Nice of you to do a search on me.

It's pretty clear who's living rent free in your head....

Dawn has rightly pointed out that the sometimes the media narrative focuses too much on one or two players. We saw that when clark was leading the country in scoring and top 5 in assists and could not get any pub as a freshman. Sometimes coaches pushing to promote thier players can be percieved by fans of the players who are getting attention as disrespect, when it can be saying there is room to promote more than one or two

So stupid to bring up the "titles" thing. Its a TEAM game no matter how good you are. I mean Taurasi or Bird and Freakin UCONN. Who all played on that team? Tell Jay to go back and watch Clark in the game against S Carolina last final 4. With all do respect to the lady Hawks we get BLOWN out in that game if CC doesn't play one of the best individual games by any human EVER seen in the NCAA tournament. Hell if she doesn't have the FIRST EVER 40+ point triple dub in the Louisville game we don't even get in that game. So much stupidity out there..

Dawn has rightly pointed out that the sometimes the media narrative focuses too much on one or two players. We saw that when clark was leading the country in scoring and top 5 in assists and could not get any pub as a freshman. Sometimes coaches pushing to promote thier players can be percieved by fans of the players who are getting attention as disrespect, when it can be saying there is room to promote more than one or two
Last year she was the first to say “yes, Caitlin has it, she is that” with regard to things like being transcendent, deserving of NPOY, etc. but also remarked that other players were right up there too, including Aliyah Boston.

Reactions: kceasthawk
DS is a highly intelligent person IMO. She knows what she's doing. This take from her, IMO, came through gritted teeth a little, and I think she understands the blowback that she, SS, and KM have gotten, and doesn't want that to continue.

Reactions: hawkcub

Dan Marino
Barry Sanders
John Stockton
Sabrina Ionescu
Charles Barkley
Ty Cobb
Ted Williams
Randy Moss
Bruce Smith
OJ Simpson
Elgin Baylor
Tony Gonzalez
Cris Carter
Barry Bonds
Anthony Munoz
Fran Tarkenton
Patrick Ewing
Brian Urlacher
Ernie Banks
Junior Seau
Reggie Miller
Dominique Wilkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Ken Griffey Jr.
JJ Watt
Karl Malone
Allen Iverson
Pete Maravich
Tony Gwynn
Bernard King
LaDainian Tomlinson
George Gervin
Eric Dickerson

Just giving a quick rundown of all the athletes who, in Jay Williams' world, aren't to be considered "great" because they never won a championship.

Dan Marino
Barry Sanders
John Stockton
Sabrina Ionescu
Charles Barkley
Ty Cobb
Ted Williams
Randy Moss
Bruce Smith
OJ Simpson
Elgin Baylor
Tony Gonzalez
Cris Carter
Barry Bonds
Anthony Munoz
Fran Tarkenton
Patrick Ewing
Brian Urlacher
Ernie Banks
Junior Seau
Reggie Miller
Dominique Wilkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Ken Griffey Jr.
JJ Watt
Karl Malone
Allen Iverson
Pete Maravich
Tony Gwynn
Bernard King
LaDainian Tomlinson
George Gervin
Eric Dickerson

Just giving a quick rundown of all the athletes who, in Jay Williams' world, aren't to be considered "great" because they never won a championship.
Reece Davis obliterated Jay, almost so good it felt like a setup... The live broadcast was on Auburn's Court in front of a bunch of students. He said "Jay is saying that Charles Barkley isn't great since he didn't win a championship, should we tear down the Barkley statue?!?" 😂

When people use the argument of Championships to define great individual players, especially in the college game. I know they are front runners and honestly not worth my time.

Reactions: kceasthawk
With her breaking the scoring records & her assist totals, coupled with a championship game appearance she is arguably the greatest women's college player of all time. Not her fault she didn't get the recruits around her to win multiple championships. It is a team game afterall. She's on everyone's Mount Rushmore of collegiate women's athlete's.
I've been wondering and should look it up myself--but how did Dowling do when CC was there? Any championships? I know Dowling has had quite a few.

Last year she was the first to say “yes, Caitlin has it, she is that” with regard to things like being transcendent, deserving of NPOY, etc. but also remarked that other players were right up there too, including Aliyah Boston.
Boston is going to LOVE getting dimes from Clark next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT