ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Caitlin: the MVP of the WNBA Just Signed a Contract Extension...

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Breanna Stewart won this year's WNBA MVP award. She plays for New York, the largest market in sports. Her huge payout in her new MVP contract...$190,000 per year. The average attendance at her New York team's home games in the nation's largest city playing for the WNBA's best team...7,700 people. Average television coverage? None. And again, this is for the star of the league.

How could anyone in the Hawkeye media (most of them are doing it) argue Clark should bolt to the WNBA with another eligibility remaining? They clearly don't understand the best player in that entire league makes $190,000 playing in empty arenas and no one's ever heard of her? What endorsement deals does that generate?

Compare Stewart with Caitlin's situation at Iowa. She's in her home state where she's treated like a god. Her parents drive 90 mins to attend all of her games. Her friends come to the games. She plays in front of 15,500 Hawk fans every week. Even her road games and the Big 10 tourney are sold out. She's good friends with her teammates and loves her coaches. Because Iowa plays on national tv (unlike any WNBA teams), Caitlin has been able to score HUGE NIL deals. She dominates enough to score 30+ and 10 assists per game which won't likely happen in the pros. And best of all, she makes over $1,000,000 per year doing what she's doing right in her home of Iowa City.

No athlete has ever had a better situation in college sports than Clark. It would be foolish to think the grass is greener in the WNBA wasteland where all stars quickly fade into irrelevance. Just look at how last year's women's college basketball star turned out. Ailya Boston played in the Final 4 and was the #1 overall draft pick. Her #1 pick contract was for just $75,000 this year. She played for the last place team in the league in front of just 4,000 fans per game! Were her games televised? Of course not. No one's watching that.

Clark's situation would be similar. Clark will be drafted #1 and go to the league's worst team. Like with Boston, her rookie contract would be in the $75,000 range and her games will not be televised. Without TV, her appeal wanes and her NIL deals dry up. She also has zero built in fans who rabidly follow her team like Caitlin gets with wearing the black and gold. Hawkeye fans were rabid before Clark and they'll be rabid after Clark. You can't say the same about any WNBA team. I guarantee the vast majority of Hawk fans who tune into Clark do it because she has Iowa on her Jersey. Most aren't going to give a second thought to a WNBA regular season game.

If Clark sits down with her family and really thinks it through, the decision to stay is a no-brainer. Will next year's team have a shot at a title? Probably not, as most of the starters graduate and Clark's coach already proved incapable of recruiting out of the transfer portal to add stars to compliment Clark on the roster. But Clark can be a mentor to incoming freshmen and leave a lasting legacy with the next generation of Hawkeye stars.

Last edited:
I'd hope she makes more than that. She might actually make people interested in the games. If people start caring money and tv will follow. She might very well be the spark the wnba needs.

Reactions: SB_SB
Breanna Stewart won this year's WNBA MVP award. She plays for New York, the largest market in sports. Her huge payout in her new MVP contract...$190,000 per year. The average attendance at her New York team's home games in the nation's largest city playing for the WNBA's best team...7,700 people. Average television coverage? None. And again, this is for the star of the league.

How could anyone in the Hawkeye media (most of them are doing it) argue Clark should bolt to the WNBA with another eligibility remaining when the best player in that entire league makes $190,000 playing in empty arenas and no one's ever heard of her?

Compare Stewart with Caitlin's situation at Iowa. She's in her home state where she's treated like a god. Her parents and friends come to all of her games. She plays in front of 15,500 every week. All road games and the Big 10 tourney are sold out. She's good friends with her teammates and loves her coaches. Her games are played on national tv which has led to HUGE NIL deals. She scores 30+ and 10 assists per game. And she makes over $1,000,000 per year doing it.

I don't think an athlete has ever had a better situation in college sports than Clark. It would be foolish of her to think the grass is greener in the wasteland of WNBA where her star will quickly fade. Just look at how last year's women's college basketball star turned out. Ailya Boston was the #1 overall draft pick by Indiana. She made $75,000 this year, played for the last place team in the league in front of...4,000 fans per game! Were her games televised? Of course not. No one's watching that.

If Clark sits down with her family and really thinks it through, the decision to stay should be a no-brainer...even if Clark's coach has proved to be incapable of recruiting out of the transfer portal and bringing in a big who can take the pressure off Clark.
Why are we comparing Caitlin Clark to Breanna Stewart? I get your argument but maybe she's about to change all of the above? Also, my guess is about 1 million in endorsements are going to follow her next year regardless of what she does. Finally, maybe she's just ready to move on? I have no clue how she feels, but I can see a scenario where she's looking forward to a new challenge. Maybe she feels that she'll diminish her accomplishments at the college level if she stays another year? Anyway, just speculating some potential reasons to move on.

How could anyone in the Hawkeye media (most of them are doing it) argue Clark should bolt to the WNBA with another eligibility remaining when the best player in that entire league makes $190,000 playing in empty arenas and no one's ever heard of her?

Compare Stewart with Caitlin's situation at Iowa. She's in her home state where she's treated like a god. Her parents and friends come to all of her games. She plays in front of 15,500 every week. All road games and the Big 10 tourney are sold out. She's good friends with her teammates and loves her coaches. Her games are played on national tv which has led to HUGE NIL deals. She scores 30+ and 10 assists per game. And she makes over $1,000,000 per year doing it.

I don't think an athlete has ever had a better situation in college sports than Clark. It would be foolish of her to think the grass is greener in the wasteland of WNBA where her star will quickly fade. Just look at how last year's women's college basketball star turned out. Ailya Boston was the #1 overall draft pick by Indiana. She made $75,000 this year, played for the last place team in the league in front of...4,000 fans per game! Were her games televised? Of course not. No one's watching that.

If Clark sits down with her family and really thinks it through, the decision to stay should be a no-brainer...even if Clark's coach has proved to be incapable of recruiting out of the transfer portal and bringing in a big who can take the pressure off Clark.

You were doing good until you threw Bluder under the bus.

Staying at Iowa would just make her look desperate.

You're an idiot.

Companies want to keep their name attached to Clark no matter what she does. But it's not simple to compare to other WNBA players. Iowa women's have broke viewership records for womens basketball. It is kind of ridiculous to assume we know what will or will not happen to viewership numbers in WNBA. I wish they didn't play in the summer though, hate that.

Businesses might be willing to take a gamble on her being able to greatly improve ratings. And if not it is still good PR for them to be supporting women in a professional space they haven't done so well in.

But for all we know Clark current deals may have in writing that they'll continue into her professional career. I would guess that if businesses could influence her decision, they would want her to stay.

But all your points are regarding money. As if she is only making this decision based on what is best for her financially. I doubt it's her number one thought. As soon as her WNBA career is over she'll likely have opportunities with ESPN if she doesn't want to coach. She overall is going to do fine.

Current super max 234,000 btw. You picked a player that took a discount to play for Liberty. Stewart has two endorsement deals and on top of that made 1.5 million in the off season overseas. I would bet Clark would have similar opportunity.

If she comes back, I bet it has more to do with unfinished business from now not ever winning a big ten title or NCAA championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberJJ

I don't think an athlete has ever had a better situation in college sports than Clark. It would be foolish of her to think the grass is greener in the wasteland of WNBA where her star will quickly fade. Just look at how last year's women's college basketball star turned out. Ailya Boston was the #1 overall draft pick by Indiana. Her #1 pick contract was for $75,000 this year. She played for the last place team in the league in front of...4,000 fans per game! Were her games televised? Of course not. No one's watching that. That is the team that has the #1 pick next year as well, so that's where Clark would go. Her rookie contract would be in the $75,000 range as well.

At sometime you have to sprout wings and fly on your own. Sounds as if Indy working on a “consortium deal” to pay her… abbd her NIL $$ isn’t going away and will probably increase. Maybe a different form but not going to disappear. #22 would be better off at Indy or another Midwest franchise than somewhere else. It’s her decision to make but I think there’s a new chapter in her life about to unveil.,
It’s been a pleasure to watch her play wearing an Iowa uniform.

Why are we comparing Caitlin Clark to Breanna Stewart? I get your argument but maybe she's about to change all of the above? Also, my guess is about 1 million in endorsements are going to follow her next year regardless of what she does. Finally, maybe she's just ready to move on? I have no clue how she feels, but I can see a scenario where she's looking forward to a new challenge. Maybe she feels that she'll diminish her accomplishments at the college level if she stays another year? Anyway, just speculating some potential reasons to move on.
Max rookie salary last year was 70k, Clark makes $880 or so right now (occaording to people claiming to have a clue). She supposedly does not have any booster money/collective deals. So salary is not going to drive her decision. Its going to come down to chasing titles vs wnba team fit. She has stated a desire to go to wnba, so its not a question if if, but when. If she goes this year, she goes to the fever and has a chance to play with Boston/Berger/Mitchell. If she waits a year who knows? Would the fever allow her to play her style? If she cant, it would eventually affect her presense in commercials. Parents could see more games in the midwest than on a coast.

At sometime you have to sprout wings and fly on your own. Sounds as if Indy working on a “consortium deal” to pay her… abbd her NIL $$ isn’t going away and will probably increase. Maybe a different form but not going to disappear. #22 would be better off at Indy or another Midwest franchise than somewhere else. It’s her decision to make but I think there’s a new chapter in her life about to unveil.,
It’s been a pleasure to watch her play wearing an Iowa uniform.
Someone mentioned that to Plum in an interview, and she replied that there could be issues with players association as it would be effectivly working around the salary cap.

Why do people keep saying this. Large corporations don’t endorse athletes that are never on TV
That's why I mentioned the question of her style of play. I would also mention that Clark understands marketing better than most wnba players. Those hoardes of young girls didn't just show up. Caitlin went to their local grocery stores, minor league baseball games, Nascar events and recruited them as well as their parents. She may be able to replicate that in whichever city she lands in. If so, the games for her team will be the ones on tnt...

Ah, love the OP, his takes are .....suspect at best.

Is money everything? When CC22 goes pro, and she will, she will be the "It" girl. All the WNBA stars didn't realize they could have been the "face of the WNBA" and were satisfied to move along. CC22 is going to do things for the WNBA that no of those other stars ever dreamed of.

Reactions: BGHAWK
CC agent needs to create a production company and do a "Hard Knocks" type of program following CC and Hawkeyes thru next season.
Streaming companies are dying for content..have a bidding war between peacock, prime , Apple Netflix...who all want new subscribers who cannot tell their little girls who love CC no.
Seven figures and everybody on team gets a taste.
Put Hawkeye women's BB worldwide...and elevate the program to blueblood status with recruiting bonanza.

In all honesty, OP may be on to something. I for one won't be an WNBA fan anytime soon, no matter where Caitlin goes. She's in an Iowa uniform and that's all I really care about.
And as good as she is I don't see her transforming pro basketball and putting more butts in the seats.

Companies want to keep their name attached to Clark no matter what she does. But it's not simple to compare to other WNBA players. Iowa women's have broke viewership records for womens basketball. It is kind of ridiculous to assume we know what will or will not happen to viewership numbers in WNBA. I wish they didn't play in the summer though, hate that.

Businesses might be willing to take a gamble on her being able to greatly improve ratings. And if not it is still good PR for them to be supporting women in a professional space they haven't done so well in.

But for all we know Clark current deals may have in writing that they'll continue into her professional career. I would guess that if businesses could influence her decision, they would want her to stay.

But all your points are regarding money. As if she is only making this decision based on what is best for her financially. I doubt it's her number one thought. As soon as her WNBA career is over she'll likely have opportunities with ESPN if she doesn't want to coach. She overall is going to do fine.

Current super max 234,000 btw. You picked a player that took a discount to play for Liberty. Stewart has two endorsement deals and on top of that made 1.5 million in the off season overseas. I would bet Clark would have similar opportunity.

If she comes back, I bet it has more to do with unfinished business from now not ever winning a big ten title or NCAA championship.
I wonder if FOX/BTN make any $ from CC playing for Iowa in the B1G?

Does it help them financially to televise games CC plays in?

Would FOX/BTN lose that revenue if CC joined the WNBA?

Could Fox/BTN pay her a big NIL deal to stay at Iowa?

Boy, I don't know.

In all honesty, OP may be on to something. I for one won't be an WNBA fan anytime soon, no matter where Caitlin goes. She's in an Iowa uniform and that's all I really care about.
And as good as she is I don't see her transforming pro basketball and putting more butts in the seats.
At this point in her career, I likely would have started paying attention some even if she was at Drake or Iowa State.

I don’t know about transforming pro basketball but she’s the reason televised women’s basketball games set new viewership records, it’s silly to predict she won’t put more butts in seats.

It seems pretty obvious attendance and viewership will improve. The question is to what extent and can wnba evolve to take advantage of her impact.

There likely will be companies that will want to sign endorsement deals taking a gamble the WNBA will evolve and their brand be recognized with that moment.

Additionally is the possibility for her to play over seas combined with going to WNBA. As many in league do overseas contracts. I suppose one advantage of summer slot the league decided on.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Obviously I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see her "saving" the WNBA. Pretty much everyone I talk to who Hawk games are appointment television for won't watch WNBA when she goes--not a single one (out of probably two-dozen) said they would watch. Yes, a small sample size, but the sentiment is what it is.
I hope she does well wherever she goes, but the only attention I (and others) will give it is hearing about it in the sports reports.

Reactions: the24fan
Max rookie salary last year was 70k, Clark makes $880 or so right now (occaording to people claiming to have a clue). She supposedly does not have any booster money/collective deals. So salary is not going to drive her decision. Its going to come down to chasing titles vs wnba team fit. She has stated a desire to go to wnba, so its not a question if if, but when. If she goes this year, she goes to the fever and has a chance to play with Boston/Berger/Mitchell. If she waits a year who knows? Would the fever allow her to play her style? If she cant, it would eventually affect her presense in commercials. Parents could see more games in the midwest than on a coast.
Everyone is making the assumption that her sponsorship deals will all go with her as is. Depends how they are structured. Sponsors want their product in front of as many people as possible. They aren't stupid - her recognition goes down the second she enters that league. She is far more marketable as a college player than as a professional. I would bet that a primary reason for her to leave is if it would help her to make the next Olympic team. Lots of politics there but that would be a marketing gold medal for her and her sponsors.

Ah, love the OP, his takes are .....suspect at best.

Is money everything? When CC22 goes pro, and she will, she will be the "It" girl. All the WNBA stars didn't realize they could have been the "face of the WNBA" and were satisfied to move along. CC22 is going to do things for the WNBA that no of those other stars ever dreamed of.

I guess Clark need to be asked if it's all about the Benjamin.

How many of you will tune in (if you can find it) to a WNBA game when the name on the front of the jersey isn't Iowa?
Time will tell but this may be peak womens basketball.

I will. I really started watching the WNBA when Megan started playing, even though she wasn't playing a lot. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say thousands of Hawk fans will be watching her next year if she goes pro.

#22 is the same as any other player… to succeed she needs to be in the right place at the right time. Lisa Bluder/UIowa were the right place for her recently. Indy could be a good fit for get but they will have to concentrate on transition..they have the “inside” now and #22 can give them the outside…

Reactions: kceasthawk
Right now, CC is all over TV, and THAT’S why she has a huge NIL presence. People now care about women’s college BB, and they watch and attend games

But they don’t care about or watch WNBA games. And how do we know? Because their MVP is going to make <$200K this year, and maybe 5% of Americans even know who that is, or even watched a game of hers on TV. The league as a whole loses 20 mil/year

CC needs to stay at Iowa to cement her fame and ad presence—and yes, make more $$. But here’s the part people aren’t talking about

The WNBA needs to figure out how they are going to use CC effectively—and PAY her for what she will give them. Their games need more TV exposure. They need to make sure CC isn’t treated crappy when she joins

Right now, the WNBA needs CC more than CC needs the WNBA. Besides, we’re only talking one more year! But it’s a year the WNBA could put to good use so things are better for Caitlin when she finally arrives

Reactions: goodbyebobby

I'd be pretty certain her endorsments and new ones will follow her. Just don't see ANYWAY that Excel signs her on as a client this summer unless they see big things for her after this season professonally, and a plan is in place to make sure that happens.....

I think that CC would elevate the WNBA if her coach allows her to play her game (game goes through her). If her coach puts limits on CC, then no.
And she'd be an idiot if she didn't, and most likely fired in short order after signing the last THREE national players of the year from the NCAA with 2 straight #1 picks. (assuming that Clark wins it again this year, like there is any way she doesn't)...

She's the biggest fish in the pond and in her home state playing for the state school.

The wnba won't be saved by her alone but she's certainly setting the foundation with the 100 little Caitlins running around their elementary schools now.

They may save it and I'm sure the NBA would be thrilled 😄

The endorsement $$ will follow her no matter where she goes.

Initially anyway... I love watching Clark, but I won't be tuning into EVERY game of hers in the WNBA, like I do for the Hawks.

Teams associated with "your" favorite college team have a built in fanbase. Not so much with the WNBA.

End of the day. The $$ isn't going to be the deciding factor. It's going to be that she LOVES playing at Iowa and wants to have one more go around. OR she's ready for the next step.

I'd hope she makes more than that. She might actually make people interested in the games. If people start caring money and tv will follow. She might very well be the spark the wnba needs.
Rookie deals are contractual, there is no negotiation. She will make what the league contract allows.

"But maybe" there will be a national WNBA TV deal for next season just because of CC? Maybe the league will find NBA first round rookie money for CC? Maybe the sports world will continue to stay on the CC train when she's just the above average WNBA player as a rookie?

They're talking about ONE year, a one year decision that clearly has more dollars on the stay side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT