ADVERTISEMENT

DC crime bill meeting

Aardvark86

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
Below is a series of texts from a buddy who is a real estate developer in the c area. I continue to be shocked at how serious people are seriously concerned about urban safety. The Jarvis story (he’s a known quantity) is particularly stunning.

I went to a meeting last night with “DC Leaders” to discuss the proposed crime bill that is coming up for a vote on Tuesday. The bill is lead by councilwoman Pinto who was surprisingly lucid.

Net net, if they don’t pass it, DC is dead and you should not ever cross the river without a gun. I was sitting next to the owner of Cava and he said they are closing all of their locations in the District because they can’t keep their employees safe. As I was leaving (PWC’s office) everyone was saying “look out for carjackers”.

A few tidbits I learned:

1). In DC it is illegal for a cop to physically restrain someone they are arresting (how else do you handcuff someone?!?). If they do, the officer is automatically placed on “disciplinary notice.” In court the first question the judge asks is “is the arresting officer on disciplinary notice”? If yes, the case is dismissed.

2). Cops must wear body cameras and they must always be on. Before writing up an incident report or an arrest report they are prohibited from watching the footage. Then if there is any discrepancy between the footage and what is written, the case is automatically dismissed.

3). DC does not hold anyone overnight for anything other than violent crimes where someone is injured. Therefore if a cop bothers going through the hassle and danger of arresting anyone the perp is immediately released.

4). Most of the crimes are committed by juvenile offenders. If a juvenile is arrested for pretty much anything short of murder they are given a choice of trial or a pre-trial diversion which is basically a life skills course on how to not be a criminal. Naturally most choose the diversion. If the perp subsequently does not show up for the diversion there is no penalty and no further action taken. There is no limit to how many times you can choose the diversion path.

Shockingly DC is down over 500 cops since 2020. But not down on spending. They are giving lots of overtime which the current police like since they don’t have to do anything.

Supposedly these gems and many more are what is being rethought in the bill that is up for a vote on Tuesday….

I was shocked.

Best moment was when Ernie Jarvis (black real estate broker) said he was a fifth generation DC person. His mom was a 5 term councilwoman. His grandfather (something Drew) has both a bridge and elementary school named after him. He then said that 4 of his team had been carjacked, one shot. DC needs a hammer. You can’t fight force with weakness (great line). He said he finally made the unthinkable decision and moved his family out of the city.

The moderator then said he sounded like a republican congressman.

Ernie’s reply…”beats getting carjacked”.

I stopped reading after item 1. Figured the rest was just as wrong.

Use of Force PrinciplesMembers may only use force that is objectively reasonable and needed to accomplish the following lawenforcement objectives: To effect lawful law enforcement objectives (e.g., arrest, detention, search). To overcome resistance directed at the member or others. To prevent physical harm to the member or to another person (including intervening in a suicideor other attempt to self-inflict injury). To protect the member or a third party from unlawful force. To prevent property damage or loss.

I stopped reading after item 1. Figured the rest was just as wrong.
Brent Weinbach Figure GIF by Eternal Family

This rhetoric is the problem. Who gives a crap what your political party is, your gender or your race. If you are a criminal, you are a criminal.

All of the activists whining about businesses leaving the inner city, liberal ideology earned and deserves this.

We do need prison reform, we need to build more prisons.

Below is a series of texts from a buddy who is a real estate developer in the c area. I continue to be shocked at how serious people are seriously concerned about urban safety. The Jarvis story (he’s a known quantity) is particularly stunning.

I went to a meeting last night with “DC Leaders” to discuss the proposed crime bill that is coming up for a vote on Tuesday. The bill is lead by councilwoman Pinto who was surprisingly lucid.

Net net, if they don’t pass it, DC is dead and you should not ever cross the river without a gun. I was sitting next to the owner of Cava and he said they are closing all of their locations in the District because they can’t keep their employees safe. As I was leaving (PWC’s office) everyone was saying “look out for carjackers”.

A few tidbits I learned:

1). In DC it is illegal for a cop to physically restrain someone they are arresting (how else do you handcuff someone?!?). If they do, the officer is automatically placed on “disciplinary notice.” In court the first question the judge asks is “is the arresting officer on disciplinary notice”? If yes, the case is dismissed.

2). Cops must wear body cameras and they must always be on. Before writing up an incident report or an arrest report they are prohibited from watching the footage. Then if there is any discrepancy between the footage and what is written, the case is automatically dismissed.

3). DC does not hold anyone overnight for anything other than violent crimes where someone is injured. Therefore if a cop bothers going through the hassle and danger of arresting anyone the perp is immediately released.

4). Most of the crimes are committed by juvenile offenders. If a juvenile is arrested for pretty much anything short of murder they are given a choice of trial or a pre-trial diversion which is basically a life skills course on how to not be a criminal. Naturally most choose the diversion. If the perp subsequently does not show up for the diversion there is no penalty and no further action taken. There is no limit to how many times you can choose the diversion path.

Shockingly DC is down over 500 cops since 2020. But not down on spending. They are giving lots of overtime which the current police like since they don’t have to do anything.

Supposedly these gems and many more are what is being rethought in the bill that is up for a vote on Tuesday….

I was shocked.

Best moment was when Ernie Jarvis (black real estate broker) said he was a fifth generation DC person. His mom was a 5 term councilwoman. His grandfather (something Drew) has both a bridge and elementary school named after him. He then said that 4 of his team had been carjacked, one shot. DC needs a hammer. You can’t fight force with weakness (great line). He said he finally made the unthinkable decision and moved his family out of the city.

Ernie’s reply…”beats getting carjacked”.
Man, you really lap up the rightwing propaganda, bud.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
So crime in DC isn’t an issue? He’s fabricating all this as a “scare” tactic?
He's fabricating a bunch of shit that is fear-mongering nonsense.

I've seen exactly the same shit out in my community. Someone posted a "rising crime out of control" link on ND here. I was like "wow" and checked it out.

Then, I tried to see how that compared to other cities (larger ones and comparable size) at the site that had those "stats". But, when I tried looking up other places, there WERE no other stats for anywhere else.

So, I looked up other data sites on Google and found the linked site was just bogus nonsense. A "puff piece" to rile people up that crime is out of control and "wokeness" is responsible. It is simply another version of GOP bullshit being spread to folks, who do not take the time to verify what is being pushed at them.

And, no, those other databases DID NOT show major bumps in crime, per the ND link. Exactly the opposite, actually.

Man, you really lap up the rightwing propaganda, bud.
You think councilwoman pinto is a right winger? Ernie Jarvis?

As I’ve said a thousand times, I continue to be surprised by the fact that serious people seem to be taking this so seriously. (And of course there’s the father of one of my sons classmates being shot dead in a carjacking three blocks from my office, which I travel downtown to on public transport).

There comes a point where the wisdom of crowds becomes meaningful, and where perception can become reality.

You think councilwoman pinto is a right winger? Ernie Jarvis?
I think anyone posting that "police cannot use handcuffs", when policy documents demonstrate the complete opposite is not a group or entity that you should trust with any information.

Too complex a concept for you?

I think anyone posting that "police cannot use handcuffs", when policy documents demonstrate the complete opposite is not a group or entity that you should trust with any information.

Too complex a concept for you?
That is not what the message said.

1). In DC it is illegal for a cop to physically restrain someone they are arresting (how else do you handcuff someone?!?). If they do, the officer is automatically placed on “disciplinary notice.”

Who posted this bullshit?

Your kid?

Reactions: BelemNole
What’s the stigma with admitting large cities have crime; and that police in those cities are trying but hampered?

I live in DC south- pretending a problem doesn’t exist doesn’t make it go away.

What’s the stigma with admitting large cities have crime; and that police in those cities are trying but hampered?

I live in DC south- pretending a problem doesn’t exist doesn’t make it go away.
Sure, but if you take some posters and media sources at their words, you’d think some cities had crimes taking place in broad daylight every other block, and the streets run red with blood.

Sure, but if you take some posters and media sources at their words, you’d think some cities had crimes taking place in broad daylight every other block, and the streets run red with blood.
I mean….its not anarchy, by any means. But, when it becomes Kevin bacon degrees of victims of violent crime, it’s not a headline.

Pretending crime doesn’t exist is that head in sand thing. It does, the bigger issue is it’s not punished

Reactions: hawkcub
I mean….its not anarchy, by any means. But, when it becomes Kevin bacon degrees of victims of violent crime, it’s not a headline.

Pretending crime doesn’t exist is that head in sand thing. It does, the bigger issue is it’s not punished
Agreed. But watch Fox News or any particular Trump rally….you’d think crime was rampant.

Reality lies somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: TennNole17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT