ADVERTISEMENT

Deacon Hill enters the portal

Godspeed Deacon! A great Hawkeye! This seems like a fanbase portal entry.

Goodbye GIF

I cannot imagine there is another D1 school that he has a better shot at starting than Iowa. Odd timing if that is his motivation, especially with a new offense coming in. Although I don’t have a lot of confidence it will be much better

I cannot imagine there is another D1 school that he has a better shot at starting than Iowa. Odd timing if that is his motivation, especially with a new offense coming in. Although I don’t have a lot of confidence it will be much better

Hell, even he couldn’t believe he was starting. He just wants to ride the bench, look at girls and eat cheeseburgers.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
What, exactly, made him a great Hawkeye? I can see him doing some damage at the Peking Buffet in Coralville, but what we saw on the field was abysmal.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
It's likely 100% mental health. Sure, he might start, but he'd be dogshit and miserable. It was clear last year he was not a big ten player. Let him go sling it at a G5 or FCS.

What, exactly, made him a great Hawkeye? I can see him doing some damage at the Peking Buffet in Coralville, but what we saw on the field was abysmal.
If you take away the fact he was pretty bad at QB, the dude had guts, never backed down, and tried. He filled a role, albeit not very well, but he filled it.

Next man in, the Hawkeye way.

If you take away the fact he was pretty bad at QB, the dude had guts, never backed down, and tried. He filled a role, albeit not very well, but he filled it.

Next man in, the Hawkeye way.

I guess. Perhaps more of my disdain should be reserved for the coaching staff that wasn’t able to recruit or develop the QB position. But Deacon didn’t merit even touching the turf on game day.

No counter research conducted: I have a theory that when assessing collectively - the lack of completions, lack of yards, the interceptions, fumbles, sacks - Deacon may have produced one of the worst seasons of "modern" college football quarterbacking.

The theory is based on the idea that any other quarterback on any other team who produced Deacon level results, would not continue to be the in game quarterback taking snaps. They'd be replaced and not have enough opportunities to accumulate the magnitude of statistics that Deacon recorded. So I accept that there's plenty of quarterbacks who may have been worse than Deacon, or had worse rate/per game statistics, but I'd be surprised if there are many who have done it for a majority of the season.

I get the competitive side of these guys and wanting to find a place to play but man at some point you'd think you'd just suck it up with the free education and get a degree. Not sure he picks up a scholarship after this. Every year anymore thousands of kids transfer and hundreds of them end up left out to dry and paying their own way.

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
No counter research conducted: I have a theory that when assessing collectively - the lack of completions, lack of yards, the interceptions, fumbles, sacks - Deacon may have produced one of the worst seasons of "modern" college football quarterbacking.

The theory is based on the idea that any other quarterback on any other team who produced Deacon level results, would not continue to be the in game quarterback taking snaps. They'd be replaced and not have enough opportunities to accumulate the magnitude of statistics that Deacon recorded. So I accept that there's plenty of quarterbacks who may have been worse than Deacon, or had worse rate/per game statistics, but I'd be surprised if there are many who have done it for a majority of the season.
I try to keep it in perspective that he was brought in to be a backup. To throw balls to the 2s. I don't think Brian or Kirk ever thought there was a world he would start. Or their opinion was if Cade goes down we're ****ed either way.

Somehow he the defense clawed Iowa to 10 wins. Could have been much worse IMO.

Glad to see him move on. It may not have been his choice. The coaches may have strongly suggested he consider the portal, because they have their eye on another portal QB. Well, that's what I'm hoping.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I try to keep it in perspective that he was brought in to be a backup. To throw balls to the 2s. I don't think Brian or Kirk ever thought there was a world he would start. Or their opinion was if Cade goes down we're ****ed either way.

Somehow he the defense clawed Iowa to 10 wins. Could have been much worse IMO.

Oh no doubt, he was not set up for success. Coaches, offensive teammates, the plan, they all played a part, Deacon didn't achieve it on his own. I'm not talking about crucifying the guy, I'm just saying that he may have recorded one of the worst quarterbacking seasons in history.

Oh no doubt, he was not set up for success. Coaches, offensive teammates, the plan, they all played a part, Deacon didn't achieve it on his own. I'm not talking about crucifying the guy, I'm just saying that he may have recorded one of the worst quarterbacking seasons in history.
100% abysmal offensive season. A few bad bounces/breakaway runs from 7-5, but also 1 bad call away from 11-2.

Weird season.

This has to be a surprise to the coaching staff, right? Because he was getting a lot of reps with the first-team this spring and that's insane if they knew he was going to leave.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT