ADVERTISEMENT

Dead Last

Nebraska can fire their head coach but our OC who supposedly works for Barta is untouchable??? If Kirk threatens to resign then let him.
Posted this elsewhere, but it’s really mind boggling that Barta is/was the playoff committee chair - responsible for analyzing and selecting the best football teams in the country. However, he’s also overseeing the most lopsided mismanagement of a football program as his full time job. In what universe does this make any sense…

Iowa’s O is ranked 131st (out of 131 teams) in total offense at 158 ypg.

The second-worst offense, Colorado St., averages 232.5 ypg so that tells you just how far behind the pack Iowa is.

We had a talented WR named Charlie Jones, and it was like dating Kate Upton. She eventually told us she felt the relationship was stagnating, but loved us and wanted to make it work, and suggested we go out more often for some romance and excitement. We told her we’d rather spend Saturdays sitting on the couch watching C-SPAN, Lawrence Welk, and PBS. She dumped us and is now dating one of our friends. We see he wearing low-cut dresses and looking sexier than ever, having the time of her life. We’re sitting on our asses and asking “how could she dump me like that?”
As a Hawkeye & Ram fan, this is going to be the most boring season of football I’ve ever watched in my life.

Iowa’s O is ranked 131st (out of 131 teams) in total offense at 158 ypg.

The second-worst offense, Colorado St., averages 232.5 ypg so that tells you just how far behind the pack Iowa is.

We had a talented WR named Charlie Jones, and it was like dating Kate Upton. She eventually told us she felt the relationship was stagnating, but loved us and wanted to make it work, and suggested we go out more often for some romance and excitement. We told her we’d rather spend Saturdays sitting on the couch watching C-SPAN, Lawrence Welk, and PBS. She dumped us and is now dating one of our friends. We see he wearing low-cut dresses and looking sexier than ever, having the time of her life. We’re sitting on our asses and asking “how could she dump me like that?”
In your metaphor, she has a weiner. 🙃

Replacing Petras is a lose/lose proposition for the Ferentz boys.

If the replacement does better, it means the fans were right in demanding a change.

If a replacement does worse, if that's even possible, it means recruiting and development are horrible.

Continue as is, and they can blame the OLine and injuries.

Replacing Petras is a lose/lose proposition for the Ferentz boys.

If the replacement does better, it means the fans were right in demanding a change.

If a replacement does worse, if that's even possible, it means recruiting and development are horrible.

Continue as is, and they can blame the OLine and injuries.

Seems like a genius plan. Like the captain of the titanic not wanting to swerve to avoid an iceberg, cause he doesn't want to spill some drinks in the dining hall.

Pretty sure the Kirk and Tommy Boy would just say that the backup QB had a good week of practice and the "light came on". They were magically ready to play week 3, but in week 1 & 2 they didn't understand the offense and would have probably went into the wrong huddle.

Something needs to be done. I'm not in fire coaches, (except Barnett) etc... category. That wreaks of panic. Totally misses the big and long term picture. Brian's issues need to be addressed in the off season.

But some things require an immediate and positive response. That is where Iowa is.

First, and most obviously Spencer's play is so bad he couldn't score from inside the 30, twice. Didn't have many drops yesterday. Spencer cannot hit open receivers reliably and he rarely fails to just lock on to the target and misses everyone else. This fundamental isn't going to be appear in the next 10 games. Last season Alex was much worse that Spencer at literally every metric by which a QB is evaluated. Alex may have improved, but probably not enough to make a difference now. So we have two QBs that have not proven themselves competent Big Ten QB.

You bring in Labas and you run the offense he can run. The whole RPO package opens up. People see Iowa making a major move and is now playing a very young team. It would renew enthusiasm, since I think he would be big play maker, maybe for both sides, but the good will outweigh the bad. You will start to see immediate improvement, and significant improvement at that. Almost the entire offense came out of Joe's class or the one before.

I can't remember the moment but forced a pass to Arland IV on the Iowa sideline and Wick was running straight down field with a defender behind him. Wick would have walked in.

Last edited:
In the past, the approach was having Petras limit mistakes to get a win. After Saturday's debacle, even that approach is out the window. He was a major reason for the defeat.

Saturday offers the perfect scenario to go to option B. A home game against a seemingly overmatched opponent. With SP, this game is a tossup.

I fear what most fans fear. Anything other than benching SP and a bowl game seems out of reach.

So amazing the difference in offensive play from last Saturday vs Holiday Bowl vs. USC. It's truly astonishing. Just no faith in Petra's decision-making. and it shows in the play-calling.

Does Iowa have any O-Linemen in the current two deeps that will be a 1st round draft choice?
I realize the line is young, but it seems that the overall talent of the group is way down.

• Sad
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Just compare the numbers from 2018 and 2019. Not great but the Petras era has been a catastrophe. Spencer's consistent inability to hit open receivers makes everything look worse, and hitting open guys with an easily catchable ball was kind of his strongest attribute. How many points would Iowa have scored if Spencer just hit 75% of his wide open throws? The whole offense looks different.

He's not throwing to bums. Arland IV is going to be great. Sam is going to the NFL, as I think Lachey is as well. KJ is going to be outstanding. But if the QB can't get the ball to them, when they're very open, the play call doesn't really matter.

39e26a144fc5a45d60ab99a593b580816f-24-kate-upton-the-other-woman.rsquare.w700.jpg

Sure do miss Kate Upton, I mean Charlie or whatever
To the OP, Charlie looks nothing like Kate and would be considered a much less significant loss as a WR than Kate as a GF!🤣

A real AD would meet with Kirk today and demand he fire Brian and the Oline coach. If the answer is no, then pay off Kirk and promote Woods to head coach. Pay Lavar 2 million less than Kirk and split that between Phil and a real O coordinator. I'm worried some SEC team is going to poach Parker with $1.5 million and the chance to coach D on a national championship contender. Then where would we be?
I'm more concerned with someone plucking him away for HC position (Phil)

In the past, the approach was having Petras limit mistakes to get a win. After Saturday's debacle, even that approach is out the window. He was a major reason for the defeat.

Saturday offers the perfect scenario to go to option B. A home game against a seemingly overmatched opponent. With SP, this game is a tossup.

I fear what most fans fear. Anything other than benching SP and a bowl game seems out of reach.
We've all heard the cliche: "the quarterback gets too much credit when they win and blame when they lose." Well Spencer Petras is proving the difference between a cliche, which are usually, but not always, true and a deductive conclusion, that is of course always true because its deductive.

Spencer in the last 5 games, and of course the two games this season, are entirely Spencer's fault. He's had plenty of chances to set and throw to open receivers. He's had plenty of time to look around the field and find open receivers when Arland IV and Sam are covered, but doesn't, he's locked on. The line never really gets a straight defense, the line and the space immediately behind it are crowded with defenders because no one thinks there are going to be many completions of more than 15 yards.

So yes, right now Spencer is killing the chance for victory. 2 seasons and 2 games are more than enough time to learn a position in college football. Almost every other QB in the country can seem to do it.

Reactions: MitchLL
The pathetic performance of this offense keeps getting more ridiculous- Navy has more passing yards than Iowa and they run an offense that virtually never passes other than 3rd and long

Reactions: Thunderlips71
The pathetic performance of this offense keeps getting more ridiculous- Navy has more passing yards than Iowa and they run an offense that virtually never passes other than 3rd and long
I believe someone posted in another thread that Navy has more passing yards than Iowa……on only 8 completions.

That is beyond pathetic.

Just compare the numbers from 2018 and 2019. Not great but the Petras era has been a catastrophe. Spencer's consistent inability to hit open receivers makes everything look worse, and hitting open guys with an easily catchable ball was kind of his strongest attribute. How many points would Iowa have scored if Spencer just hit 75% of his wide open throws? The whole offense looks different.

He's not throwing to bums. Arland IV is going to be great. Sam is going to the NFL, as I think Lachey is as well. KJ is going to be outstanding. But if the QB can't get the ball to them, when they're very open, the play call doesn't really matter.
And other programs look enticing to portal over to.

UC Davis QB has 273 yards passing against South Dakota St and 3 pass plays over 25 yards and 3 TDs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT