ADVERTISEMENT

Deadlocked Iowa Supreme Court means abortions legal for now

Yep…..the county where about 1 of every 6 Iowans live…..and evidently most of the state’s brain power.

But not in the 3rd District as you have asserted. It's the 5th. And Polk County being leftwing would explain the difference.

20 week old cluster of cells

20-weeks-pregnant-recolored-app.png
The poster in question was talking about 6 weeks…

pregnancy-week-6-webbed-hands_square.png

Reactions: Huey Grey
I love it that they still are bitter over the trash can search warrant issue. I was ahead of the time on that one

But not in the 3rd District as you have asserted. It's the 5th. And Polk County being leftwing would explain the difference.
“Left wing”? It’s Democratic…..but Northern….Hanson received 66% of the vote in the district….and the judicial district is approximately the same make-up as the third congressional district that has Polk in it……and those congressional races (every two years) are always razor thin margin…….Those judges lost their retention vote in their area west os DSM/I-35, where all the evangelical, Iowa GOP/MAGAts live. They vote as Vander Plaats and their evangelical ministers tell them to vote.
Try as you wil, the joke has always been on Vander Plaats and the evangelicals who voted against the SC justices for doing their job……They did not, as VanderPlaats and The Family Leader (and Iowa GOP) say they did…they did NOT “legislate from the bench…..they simply stated that Hanson had used the law correctly and was 100% correct in making the ruling he made. Evangelical voters aren’t very smart….and MAGAts don’t really add to that gene pool, either.

What a strange opinion, all the way around. Our State Supreme Court is showing signs of dysfunction in this opinion.

Iowa Supreme Court also dead-locked on the Covid statute of limitations extensions case. These are really important cases that deserve judicial review and proper binding decisions.

I think Iowa needs a better system to address judicial appellate conflicts. I propose: a) when a justice recuses herself, they substite with a retired justice or judge from a lower court (other states already do this) OR b) if one or more of the Supreme Court justices identifies a conflict early on, they transfer the case to the Court of Appeals (which they can do anyway).

Either way, we need a better system than finding out at decision time, "ope sorry, one of the justices has a conflict, guess everybody wasted their time, effort, and money on this one."

What a strange opinion, all the way around. Our State Supreme Court is showing signs of dysfunction in this opinion.

Iowa Supreme Court also dead-locked on the Covid statute of limitations extensions case. These are really important cases that deserve judicial review and proper binding decisions.

I think Iowa needs a better system to address judicial appellate conflicts. I propose: a) when a justice recuses herself, they substite with a retired justice or judge from a lower court (other states already do this) OR b) if one or more of the Supreme Court justices identifies a conflict early on, they transfer the case to the Court of Appeals (which they can do anyway).

Either way, we need a better system than finding out at decision time, "ope sorry, one of the justices has a conflict, guess everybody wasted their time, effort, and money on this one."
Strange one would say this…with all those high quality Branstad/Reynolds bench picks….so glad we are taking the “experts” out of the loop and replacing their expertise with some good ol’ politics! Nothing says “justice” like political agendas.

Time to pack the court eh Kimmy? Expand it and or other ways?

The GOP has the backbone to actually do it. The Dems should have long ago with SCOTUS.

Time to pack the court eh Kimmy? Expand it and or other ways?

The GOP has the backbone to actually do it. The Dems should have long ago with SCOTUS.

Rs have never proposed such. Democrats have and were narrowly stopped from their power play.

Rs have never proposed such. Democrats have and were narrowly stopped from their power play.
Bullshit Northern....we are talking State SC here and Kim and that bald-headed wank-job from Denison just rewrote how SC justices are selected in Iowa by making the pick mush more political (by giving the Governor more power and influence in choosing candidates) and distancing professional input (by Iowa Bar Assn) and lessening their influence in the process.
Pay attention here son, you’ll get trampled if you don’t!

I’m great with 20’weeks
I’m better by letting doctors and patients decide what is best For mother and baby. But I understand I do not live in a perfect world. I see how pols are infringing on my rights as a citizen when it comes to my rights and privileges of voting….I cannot see how they will do any better in the world of abortion/mother’s health rights.

Reactions: Huey Grey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT