ADVERTISEMENT

Dedication ceremony for the new facility

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

I think they should put on a series of cage...or bridge... fights at the ceremony to resolve all the Cesspool debates. But seriously, whether you like or dislike the architecture, whether it moves the recruiting needle or not, kudos to Tom and crew for getting it done. Says alot about the fans and program to get this all done with donations.

Go Hawks!!

I will be in Iowa City on June 1 & 2 (driving about 1000 miles one-way to get there). Will the facility be open to the public on Saturday?

I think they should put on a series of cage...or bridge... fights at the ceremony to resolve all the Cesspool debates. But seriously, whether you like or dislike the architecture, whether it moves the recruiting needle or not, kudos to Tom and crew for getting it done. Says alot about the fans and program to get this all done with donations.

Go Hawks!!
A tunnel is basically an underground bridge

Amen Spooner.

The facility looks bad as*. And more than anything that facility represents the commitment, and the meaning and magnitude of the sport to the University. If PSU built this it would be celebrated throughout the wrestling community and by the fellas of Flo / FRL singing Cael’s praises. Instead of clips of Askren being dismissive that it doesn’t move the performance needle. The love / hate relationship with the Hawks is still alive and well. Embrace it.

With all due respect, I do not understand the aggressive pushback and continuing to bait for critics to jump in and argue and further criticize the new facility. Wherever you stand on the issue of daylighting, it seems counterproductive to initiate and invite those who think there were some missed opportunities by leaving out what some consider a basic element of successfully designed buildings in line with current and future standards.

I’ve voiced my opinion on that subject ad nauseum and will refrain from additional critique but would suggest those who are anti-daylight to not be so abrasive and openly invite more criticism of the new facility.

Wherever people stand on the daylight issue, I think we can all agree the other elements of the design hit it out of the park, so kudos to all who made this happen. It is an incredible facility and certainly a very exciting and positive step toward getting back on top.

With all due respect, I do not understand the aggressive pushback and continuing to bait for critics to jump in and argue and further criticize the new facility. Wherever you stand on the issue of daylighting, it seems counterproductive to initiate and invite those who think there were some missed opportunities by leaving out what some consider a basic element of successfully designed buildings in line with current and future standards.

I’ve voiced my opinion on that subject ad nauseum and will refrain from additional critique but would suggest those who are anti-daylight to not be so abrasive and openly invite more criticism of the new facility.

Wherever people stand on the daylight issue, I think we can all agree the other elements of the design hit it out of the park, so kudos to all who made this happen. It is an incredible facility and certainly a very exciting and positive step toward getting back on top.

There are two types of people, Gabe: wresting fans and dandies. One has to choose a side.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
Seems like a little short-sighted position in the current climate where many fans are sick of watching the Hawks finish behind other teams and top recruits are selecting other programs. I think it is OK, and does not assign someone to Team Dandies, to advocate for continual improvement and adapting as new information becomes available or you see what other top programs are doing to push the envelope with their facilities and push to exceed what other programs are offering.

Seems like a little short-sighted position in the current climate where many fans are sick of watching the Hawks finish behind other teams and top recruits are selecting other programs. I think it is OK, and does not assign someone to Team Dandies, to advocate for continual improvement and adapting as new information becomes available or you see what other top programs are doing to push the envelope with their facilities and push to exceed what other programs are offering.
You've been the #1 griper about the window situation here. You don't need to critique anymore because we all have read your long posts complaining about it.
It's an amazing facility. The Hawkeye wrestlers I have talked to absolutely love it.

I'm sick of that as well.

It has nothing to do with being Team Dandy. Sides have been chosen. Next up for Team Dandy: A bouquet of fresh flowers in the locker of every Iowa wrestler. Flower Bouquets Relieve Stress & Anxiety - Gotta have 'em!

I have worked out and coached at a number of places with natural lighting and the lack thereof. Not once did I wish I could see the sun/outdoors and when I was at places where I was able to, I sometimes stopped doing what I was there to do. I sincerely doubt one wrestler or coach will be thinking about natural lighting when in competition mode.

Curious if you find it ironic that the same people bringing the subject up and mocking those advocating for basic design elements are also those loudest to profess their views and declare them superior and any other perspectives being panty wearing Dandies?

We don’t have to be threatened by information and statistically proven facts that other programs seem to get. Many of the top recruits we keep missing out on may just have similar perspectives that you continue to dismiss but want to keep initiating debate about.

A common knock on the Iowa program that other programs use as ammo is that Iowa is stubborn and set in their ways and reluctant to change. Maybe this board could be a microcosm of a larger issue and encourage and value various viewpoints and perspectives, including those from the actual experts in the fields we are discussing.

Curious if you find it ironic that the same people bringing the subject up and mocking those advocating for basic design elements are also those loudest to profess their views and declare them superior and any other perspectives being panty wearing Dandies?

We don’t have to be threatened by information and statistically proven facts that other programs seem to get. Many of the top recruits we keep missing out on may just have similar perspectives that you continue to dismiss but want to keep initiating debate about.

A common knock on the Iowa program that other programs use as ammo is that Iowa is stubborn and set in their ways and reluctant to change. Maybe this board could be a microcosm of a larger issue and encourage and value various viewpoints and perspectives, including those from the actual experts in the fields we are discussing.
"MIC DROP"

LMFAO

Dude…they aren’t building a facility for you and your boyfriend to frolic and make cream pies in. It’s WRESTLING.

Whether there are stupid little windows to feed your personal preference for esthetic pleasure has nothing to do with recent results on the mat. Iowa is woefully underperforming and windows don’t have a single thing to do with it. It is not a microcosm. There is no correlation between the two issues. None. Zero. Zip.

Iowa invested in and built a top notch facility. If Iowa built the same exact facility with Penn State’s recent run of success, your chin would be so pressed against Brands’ balls you wouldn’t be able to see your computer screen.

Dude…they aren’t building a facility for you and your boyfriend to frolic and make cream pies in. It’s WRESTLING.

Whether there are stupid little windows to feed your personal preference for esthetic pleasure has nothing to do with recent results on the mat. Iowa is woefully underperforming and windows don’t have a single thing to do with it. It is not a microcosm. There is no correlation between the two issues. None. Zero. Zip.

Iowa invested in and built a top notch facility. If Iowa built the same exact facility with Penn State’s recent run of success, your chin would be so pressed against Brands’ balls you wouldn’t be able to see your computer screen.
Oh Spooner, you crack me up. Sorry to disappoint but no boyfriend (but a smoking hot Wife. no pics but I do have some of your mom if you wanna buy some ;).

You touch on a great point in that the new facility should be designed to what’s going to appeal to the target audience and not one person’s opinion or preferences.

I think we can safely say that natural daylight is generally felt to be a positive in a space where appropriate and when the opportunity is there most would lean towards incorporating it versus purposefully, omitting it.

I think we’ve beat the horse dead and dug back up and beat enough so I think we should focus on the opening of an incredible facility and all get behind the final results, however we got there.

Reactions: mhlarch and vhsalum
Oh Spooner, you crack me up. Sorry to disappoint but no boyfriend (but a smoking hot Wife. no pics but I do have some of your mom if you wanna buy some ;).

You touch on a great point in that the new facility should be designed to what’s going to appeal to the target audience and not one person’s opinion or preferences.

I think we can safely say that natural daylight is generally felt to be a positive in a space where appropriate and when the opportunity is there most would lean towards incorporating it versus purposefully, omitting it.

I think we’ve beat the horse dead and dug back up and beat enough so I think we should focus on the opening of an incredible facility and all get behind the final results, however we got there.

Excellent reply. You had me at smoking hot wife. Can’t concentrate on the rest so I guess I’m just convinced that windows = titles.

If your commenting about no windows, then you obviously have ZERO idea or clue about 90% of the wrestling rooms in America. There are not many wrestling rooms that have windows. I bet Penn State fans aren't complaining about no windows in their room.

Reactions: savage84
If you’re commenting about no windows, then you obviously have ZERO idea or clue about 90% of the wrestling rooms in America. There are not many wrestling rooms that have windows. I bet Penn State fans aren't complaining about no windows in their room.
Btw, I think the windows kerfuffle is silly. It’s rude to look a gift-dungeon in the mouth, innit?

Last edited:
If your commenting about no windows, then you obviously have ZERO idea or clue about 90% of the wrestling rooms in America. There are not many wrestling rooms that have windows. I bet Penn State fans aren't complaining about no windows in their room.
And respectfully, those who are advocating for no natural light in the premiere space of the facility in the worlds greatest wrestling room simply aren’t current with today’s design standards and what other programs are doing in their new facilities that we are competing against.

In previous decades, natural daylight in wrestling rooms was not as prevalent, but it’s an absolute critical component to the top wrestling facilities being done today.

The rooms I designed in the past, it was acceptable to omit natural light, but in today’s arms race, if you are building a new facility without incorporating natural daylight in the wrestling room, it is considered very shortsighted and a dated mentality that will get more dated as time goes on.

The current room I’m designing for one of the more accomplished wrestlers in the world has windows, and it’s a private club with modest budget and not even a division one top wrestling program.

There are obviously varying opinions on the matter, but I’m of the mindset that you should probably err on the side of what will make you most competitive and relevant and in line with current facilities.

And respectfully, those who are advocating for no natural light in the premiere space of the facility in the worlds greatest wrestling room simply aren’t current with today’s design standards and what other programs are doing in their new facilities that we are competing against.

In previous decades, natural daylight in wrestling rooms was not as prevalent, but it’s an absolute critical component to the top wrestling facilities being done today.

The rooms I designed in the past, it was acceptable to omit natural light, but in today’s arms race, if you are building a new facility without incorporating natural daylight in the wrestling room, it is considered very shortsighted and a dated mentality that will get more dated as time goes on.

The current room I’m designing for one of the more accomplished wrestlers in the world has windows, and it’s a private club with modest budget and not even a division one top wrestling program.

There are obviously varying opinions on the matter, but I’m of the mindset that you should probably err on the side of what will make you most competitive and relevant and in line with current facilities.
That all sounds reasonable. On the other hand, the new, donor funded wrestling facility sure looks nice from the little vid someone shared today.

Oatmeal?

Reactions: SPOONER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT